External Blu-ray Player Recommendations for Ripping Blu-ray discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and so this one is top of my shopping list ...
But can I ask did it come with the software needed to play/run Bluray discs?
If it doesnt Im gonna have to get (& maybe Id be better off with- ) a set top box Bluray player for the telly
and that means asking the community what their choice in that kinda thing would be
It came with a disc that I'm not using - the Asus BD Suite. I think it is just backup software. If you want to play movies I think Microsoft makes you pay for something extra these days. I don't do that. But I do rip mkvs with it and I can play those from my hard drive with a PC.

It came with a disc that I'm not using - the Asus BD Suite. I think it is just backup software. If you want to play movies I think Microsoft makes you pay for something extra these days. I don't do that. But I do rip mkvs with it and I can play those from my hard drive with a PC.
MS does not make you pay extra to play movies, AFAIK, though I don't use the built in stuff, but PowerDVD Ultra and VLC.
As far as backup software... which everyone I believe should use at minimum for their OS drive...I use Macrium Reflect, a really good solid program but you have to "rent" it. Been using it for years in the free version, which alas went away last year.

As far as backup software... which everyone I believe should use at minimum for their OS drive...I use Macrium Reflect, a really good solid program but you have to "rent" it.
You can use Windows' built-in "File History" tool (in the Settings app) for basic user data/file backup, and the legacy "Backup and Restore" Control Panel to make complete backups.

You can use Windows' built-in "File History" tool (in the Settings app) for basic user data/file backup, and the legacy "Backup and Restore" Control Panel to make complete backups.
I know. But I like Macrium much better. I got hooked on it when it was free. I normally back up my C: and D: drives, of course the C: is the OS drive and the D: is my documents/pics/etc. It's hassle free and always works. But free is good!

Back in the days when DVD's were the primary disc format Microsoft wanted to charge you for their MPEG-2 decoder component if you wanted to play DVD's with Microsoft's bloated Windows Media player. I'm not sure if they tried something similar with HD DVD or Blu-ray disc playback when those formats were released a few years later. Personally I used DVDFab's media player as I was one of the beta testers ;)

In more recent times Microsoft used to supply an H.265/HEVC decoder with Windows 10 but quietly removed it but these days nobody needs to use Microsoft's bloated Windows Media player!

Back in the days when DVD's were the primary disc format Microsoft wanted to charge you for their MPEG-2 decoder component if you wanted to play DVD's with Microsoft's bloated Windows Media player. I'm not sure if they tried something similar with HD DVD or Blu-ray disc playback when those formats were released a few years later. Personally I used DVDFab's media player as I was one of the beta testers ;)

In more recent times Microsoft used to supply an H.265/HEVC decoder with Windows 10 but quietly removed it but these days nobody needs to use Microsoft's bloated Windows Media player!
Seems like at some point MS had a separate movie player? IDK did a search on Win11 and didn't find it. I'm pretty happy with PowerDVD overall. If it would just quit opening up every time I try to rip a disc.

For anyone who's interested, Windows 11 offers Windows Media Player Legacy: -

Capture.JPG

Info link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...ary-2023-2aaf89b8-f9d3-4322-98d0-612c9bea9c01

It - Windows Media Player Legacy, doesnt even appear or be active when I try to get to view images I have on my dtp instead (as WMP used to) I have to use explorer or photoshop to open any & all such images

It - Windows Media Player Legacy, doesnt even appear or be active when I try to get to view images I have on my dtp instead (as WMP used to) I have to use explorer or photoshop to open any & all such images
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to use Windows Media Player to displaying any kind of media... It's total pants!

Looks like I would be better off with a Bluray playing setup box then
Cos I aint paying Cyberlink a red cent let alone subscribing
I bought the $50 license for MakeMKV in 2011. Still works and gets me updates. There might be a way to use a beta version for free now? Thought I've seen that mentioned.

I refuse all subscription services too. Just no and never.

A stand alone bluray player? Where you have to connect it to a USB port and download firmware updates to get the new bluray codes when they update them? In this age of software spoofing shenanigans and white/black listed devices? And then have to deal with an HDMI connection that likes to shut itself off when it feels threatened? No thank you!!

I bought the $50 license for MakeMKV in 2011. Still works and gets me updates. There might be a way to use a beta version for free now? Thought I've seen that mentioned.

I refuse all subscription services too. Just no and never.

A stand alone bluray player? Where you have to connect it to a USB port and download firmware updates to get the new bluray codes when they update them? In this age of software spoofing shenanigans and white/black listed devices? And then have to deal with an HDMI connection that likes to shut itself off when it feels threatened? No thank you!!
Yes it's (makeMKV) still free while in beta. They update the registration code every month.

There are free software players that play most things. There are free rippers that rip most things. But the most convenient/better sometimes cost money.
If you're going to rip and/or play what you buy, what's a few more bucks to get the best? I mean I'm not talking about $2000 dollar disc players here.
... I'm by no means flush with money, but I take ripping, storage and playback on the pc as seriously as I do spending on music.

Back