HiRez Poll Fahl, Mary - FROM THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Mary Fahl - FROM THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• Total voters
Right after Us & Them, right? I love it, every time.

Try listening to the center channel only during "Any Colour You Like" - I cropped out a quick 30 second sample (I assume this is ok to post?) and exported to a mono MP3 file. It's too cool!

Attachments

• Any Colour Center Channel Sample.mp3
    361.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
That and the first bass not of money rocked. lets get this engineer (sorry don’t have case in front of me) on may more projects.

I would have never bought this if not for the 5.1, many artists (if they can afford it) could gain extra sales by having a 5.1 mix. How many though that’s another question

lets get this engineer (sorry don’t have case in front of me) on may more projects.

Bob Clearmountain! He's created quite a few excellent 5.1 mixes:
  • Bob Marley - Legend
  • Roxy Music - Avalon
  • Bryan Ferry - Boys & Girls
  • Bryan Ferry - Frantic
  • Bryan Adams - Reckless
  • The Band - Music From Big Pink
  • The Band - The Band
  • U.K. - Night After Night
  • Barenaked Ladies - Are Me
  • A Bad Think - The Savior

We’re in discussions with IAA (Immersive Audio Album), will report back here when it’s settled.
Good news. And, as far as I'm concerned, no shame in posting your own review and voting in the poll--it's the American way! Thanks for contributing to the site and for the major contribution of my favorite release of the year! I'm still finding new things in each subsequent listen--in my mind, that's the sign of a work of Art! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Last edited:
Awhile ago, I promised a review. This is why I vote a 10

The first word that comes to mind is transcendent. forilla GODzilla--one of the great revisions (re-envisionings) of one of the greats.

I stopped drinking and drugging a tad over six years ago. I found surround to try and replicate some of what I felt I had lost. Tout se retrouve à nouvelle, indeed! Vraiment!

Some of the most mind-bending and engaging surround I have ever heard has me sonically submerged feeling like I and Eye are reading the Word--a spiritual trip toward Truth.

As a settler on stolen land, I am initially struck by the indigenous beat--for Turtle Islanders, the drum carries the heartbeat of our Mother, giving life rhythm and meaning. Mary’s voice careening, established with chanting and layers and layers of sound . . . Dante’s Inferno profound: I found myself in a forest dark for the straightforward path will be lost. What to do? All we can do is breathe and run and dig another one . . .

Each track takes the concept to the next level. Racing toward an early grave--clockwise whine of 17 17 17 17 blows my mind (a favorite prime? Military time? End of the 9-5 grind?) What a wonderful update of “Time” to include car alarms and apocalyptic intrusions compounding confusions and sonic infusions salve sole/soul contusions soaring guitar tolling between the iron division bells swells as the faithful driven to our knees listen to whispered magic spells of Mary’s instrument soaring and imploring restoring gliding eliding--i heard the Word in the reverb set free by the mystery turning and turning in the widening gyre toward “The Great Gig in the Sky” . . .

And then, from the surrealistic swirl, all is made clear by the “Money” till filling the soundstage finally making cents--as others have noted, “Money” is the weak link in the original for me (and as Mike Viera pointed out, not the bluesy kind of spoken word thing Waters had originally planned). Fahl’s leering jet set delivery makes “Money” the indictment it was always meant to be--and so damn true in the 21st century last throes of exploitative capitalism!

Whaaa . . . ?! From Doyle’s driven guitar riven jism schism comes "Us and Them"!? The morphing majesty anchored by Oppenheimer’s Bhagavad Gita recitation (Fahl’s interview interjection explaining this direction) chanted until my spine is reconfigured by Doyle’s bassline strike in “Any Colour You Like” the industrial march continuing through the pain hemorrhage as “Brain Damage” waves stave off the Luna see you on the dark side of the sun is eclipsed by the moon as--for this listener--this Clearmountain stream of Doyle’s foil to the Fahl of man bests the original by reconfiguring it for the new millenium covid 19 scene . . . know what I’m saying; know what I mean?
You, sir, have the blood of poets coursing through your veins!

It was slow start up with the connection getting set up for the concert I guess audio issues but glad when it finally went live. I would of loved seeing and hearing more of Mary but alas that will be for another time. Holy crap her version of amazing grace just about brought me to tears not much of a fan of that song Mary definitely changed my mind last night.

Ok, so I held off on ordering this for a little while, as I was a bit concerned about how I might take to this radical reinterpretation of one of the greatest albums of all time...which, as we all know well, already has its own iconic surround mix (a couple, in fact). The samples I heard still left me wary, but with quarantine boredom pushing me to discover "new" music, I finally bit the bullet. As everyone else has noted, my signed copy arrived from Mary in record time.

For those who are holding off for the same reasons I did, I would strongly encourage you to order this release. Even though there are a couple songs that have moments that I'm still struggling with (the first half of "Money" in particular), taken as a whole, this is arguably the most interesting interpretation of DSoTM that I've heard. It REALLY works well. Upon first listen, the sequence from "Us and Them" to the final notes of "Eclipse" stood out as the real highlight, but every song has some amazing moments (even "Money" - the solo section is very cool). So, from a content perspective, I give this one a strong 9.

It's the "Mix/Fidelity" category that really takes this one over the top - WOW!!! This is exactly how I like my surround mixes: active and adventurous, with plenty of action in the rears and movement between speakers. And, yet, it's not gimmicky at all - it really fits the mood of the album. After only one listen, it's clear that this is one of the very best mixes in my collection. An absolute 10.

Put it all together, and I went with a 10 overall, as the few problems I have with some of the arrangements are more than balanced out by the sonic tour-de-force. Thanks, all, for recommending this one!

Last edited:
I agree with OgreQuad and others. It's a '10'. It's its own release, you can't compare it to the original and once you get past that there is no reason not to love it. So well done, so well mixed, such incredible sonics. Well worth the price. It's one of those discs that just gets better with each play through.

If you have enough interest to read through this thread, and can afford the cost, there is no reason why you should not support this release. I mean, how much other stuff is out there to spend on right now?

Back