HiRez Poll Gabriel, Peter - I/O [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Peter Gabriel - I/O

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Really enjoyed the music, I think it's a great album.

I'm having a strange problem playing this on the Oppo BDP93. The signal to the receiver is shown as TrueHD 7.1, but it decodes as DTS, not Atmos. I shut everything off and tried again, same problem. On my Sony UBP-X800M2 it plays in Atmos without a problem.

I then tried a few SDE blu-rays in the Oppo and they do play correctly in Dolby Atmos,
Something similar happens for me, with my Oppo BDP-95 and Onkyo 3007. By default, the receiver chooses a DTS fake surround mode. I suspect it has to do with the preferred listening modes I have configured, because when I switch to music preference, it immediatly catches the Dolby TrueHD.

For me one of the best mixes in 2023, outstanding in music and lyrics at a lonely height. May we ask Peter to mix his back catalog like this one too in Darkside, Inside and Bright mixes..

That would be great. Unfortunately, it seems that Peter has never held much interest in looking backwards at his musical career. But people's interests and motivations can always change.

That would be great. Unfortunately, it seems that Peter has never held much interest in looking backwards at his musical career. But people's interests and motivations can always change.
??? Well, he did a huge 25th anniversary reissue (without a surround mix, but that was more because of the recording techniques and technologies that were used, rather than antipathy or lack of interest) and tour around So. And then he did orchestral arrangements of some of his back catalog and toured behind those, too. And then he oversaw the Scratch My Back project, which saw some of his favorite artists covering his songs. So, sure: he's a forward-looking kind of guy, but he's not averse to revisiting his old work.

Last edited:
I love that he still has David Rhodes, Tony Levin, and Manu Katché. Tony was on the very first solo Gabriel album (1977), David joined on the third one (1980), and Manu on the fifth (So) (1986), so the same exact band for 37 years. Tony for 46 years.

This album has some ballsy rockin' songs, and beautiful mellow hypnotic songs too. I totally feel like this is good enough to become a classic Gabriel album. The fidelity is impeccable and the Atmos mix is quite enjoyable.

I've been through the Atmos twice now plus the stereo streaming over the last 6 months or so. First off, this is a great album in any format. Many parts of it can easily stand with the best classic PG material. It's hard to pick favorites the material is so good.

The album lends itself well to the Atmos treatment, like it was made for it. Maybe it was?

There are better sounding recordings than this, but this is no slouch either. If artists have house sounds, this has PG's house sound. Great bass, great percussion, some sheen on the vocals.

This is an overwhelming 10 for me.

So far, I'm loving the album, but am considerably less impressed with the Atmos mix, which just doesn't seem to work on my system. I know that I am Atmos compatible as discs of Steven Wilson's The Harmony Codex and King Crimson's new(Ish) Atmos mix of In the Court of the Crimson King (plus others) play beautifully.

In contrast, i/o is encoded as DD + DSur on my Denon A/V Receiver and only appears to play as stereo. The DarkMix through multichannel stereo sounds much better, but I feel I'm missing out on the advertised 3D experience. I thought the problem might be with the disc itself, so I exchanged it only to get the same flat sound with the replacement.

Any suggestions on how I might resolve this, short of investing in a new system? TIA

So far, I'm loving the album, but am considerably less impressed with the Atmos mix, which just doesn't seem to work on my system. I know that I am Atmos compatible as discs of Steven Wilson's The Harmony Codex and King Crimson's new(Ish) Atmos mix of In the Court of the Crimson King (plus others) play beautifully.

In contrast, i/o is encoded as DD + DSur on my Denon A/V Receiver and only appears to play as stereo. The DarkMix through multichannel stereo sounds much better, but I feel I'm missing out on the advertised 3D experience. I thought the problem might be with the disc itself, so I exchanged it only to get the same flat sound with the replacement.

Any suggestions on how I might resolve this, short of investing in a new system? TIA
I would post this as a new thread so as not to pollute the poll thread. You will likely get more input as well.

I went into this one with no real expectations. Gabriel has been hit or miss for me over the years, but with the positive buzz I decided to give it a try. I was surprised at just how great this album is. The Atmos is not the very best I've heard, but is still up there and it doesn't hold it back from earning a 10. Definitely need to give this another listen.

I find the modern high rez digital Atmos mixes just amazing for SQ.
Music reproduction just doesn't get any better than this. :51QQ
I agree 100%. Multichannel music has finally grown up - the quality of these Atmos mixes on Blu-Ray is just outstanding. Amazing natural sound quality and immersive without sounding like a gimmick effect. i/o, Let It Be and Moondance are my top three so far. Listening to the title track on Let it Be is like being there with The Beatles. I have seen grown up men cry for much less :)

i/o is the kind of art that should go in a time capsule. (If only future beings could figure out AVRs and atmos!!!)
I've been on the i/o journey for a solid year now, and I'm still surprised by the quality of composition and execution. Such a deep and rewarding experience to follow the moons, live show, and release.
I think we've all experienced some form of loss, death, and realization of the importance of life in the past handful of years. I love how Mr. Gabriel has chipped away to produce his thoughts.
4 billion bonus points go to Mr. Hans-Martin Buff for his originality and creativity - and to expanding upon the stereo versions.
A 10/10 if there ever was one.

This was an easy 10 for me. I have been a PG fan from the beginning, and saw him play live in Toronto last September to promote this new material. This album is very well put together, and I have enjoyed the journey he takes you on several times now. I have focused on the Atmos mix, which is simply delightful in detail and separation. As others have said, the quality of more recent Atmos mixes is simply outstanding!
PG continues to impress me with his ability to create wonderful music and try new ideas, albeit keeping true to himself. And for him to put extra effort into creating an Atmos mix, along with the 2 stereo mixes, is icing on the cake.

Another one from the catch up pile, finally listening to the inside mix, fully and truely a 10 out of 10 along with SW'S Harmony Codex as strong as it gets. That's two new fantastic albums mixed in demo quality immersive surround in 2023 (and both overlooked for a Grammy?). This is pur PG not more I can add but the bar truly has been raised.

Voting 9. Musically, this album misses perfection by just a hair.
Very solid writing, production, and mix. Affordable Blu-ray!!!

Life in Surround Video:
Peter Gabriel in Surround
Thank you to 5000 subscribers
How to support or team up with Life in Surround
Review of Peter Gabriel's I/O begins 7 minutes in

Well, Gabriel's cover photo explains why it misses "by just a hair."

Back