Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got home from seeing AntMan and the Wasp in 3D and Imax, lots of cool effects on the SL/SR and rear channels, great mixing...btw, I noticed that Imax 3D and Real3D are NOT the same -the glasses were not compatible, I have one for each now since for the Imax it's really difficult to find unscratched ones...really enjoyable movie...two thumbs up...

Just got home from seeing AntMan and the Wasp in 3D and Imax, lots of cool effects on the SL/SR and rear channels, great mixing...btw, I noticed that Imax 3D and Real3D are NOT the same -the glasses were not compatible, I have one for each now since for the Imax it's really difficult to find unscratched ones...really enjoyable movie...two thumbs up...

Hey Kap'n...do you have some kind of insect fetish:unsure:...we need to talk bro:whistle:

Real-D uses circular polarization while IMAX uses linear polarization. And Agreed, the reused imax glasses often are damaged or at a minimum need a second cleaning. The imax showings use two projectors so the light loss is very little, plus with Antman & Wasp, some scenes opened up from Scope to 1.90 for special imax formatted clips. Other venues played in scope only.

Real-D uses circular polarization while IMAX uses linear polarization. And Agreed, the reused imax glasses often are damaged or at a minimum need a second cleaning. The imax showings use two projectors so the light loss is very little, plus with Antman & Wasp, some scenes opened up from Scope to 1.90 for special imax formatted clips. Other venues played in scope only.

Cool, thanks for the info..
Yeah, I noticed that the movie went from scope to Imax..really worth it to see it in Imax!

Cool, thanks for the info..
Yeah, I noticed that the movie went from scope to Imax..really worth it to see it in Imax!

So, Kap, is 3D really DEAD? They're still filming oodles of new films in REAL 3D [versus up conversions]. Sales of physical BD~V films and especially UHD 4K aren't exactly brisk so they decided to pick on 3D as a non~seller and went so far as eliminating 3D capability in ALL new TV sets, OLED, included, which spectacularly showcases the format for home viewing.

BTW, James Cameron is readying three or four new Avatar films and you know the next Avatar is going to showcase 3D spectacularly.

So, Kap, is 3D really DEAD? They're still filming oodles of new films in REAL 3D [versus up conversions]. Sales of physical BD~V films and especially UHD 4K aren't exactly brisk so they decided to pick on 3D as a non~seller and went so far as eliminating 3D capability in ALL new TV sets, OLED, included, which spectacularly showcases the format for home viewing.

BTW, James Cameron is readying three or four new Avatar films and you know the next Avatar is going to showcase 3D spectacularly.

I love seeing stuff in 3D... :cool: Just like surround music it can, if utilised properly yield spectacular results! It's so much more involving! Even being Mr 6 Eyes (need glasses for the flicks) I barely notice I'm wearing them... Can't wait for the new Avatar films...

Always find this place quite handy
https://www.cinemablend.com/3d/

Mr.Smithers, I, too, wear glasses for astigmatism and just purchased some 'improved' 3D goggles from Amazon* which comfortably fit over my glasses. Actually, I see better NOW than when I was in grammar school. 3D also extends those 55 and 65" OLED TVs to well beyond their meager parameters and when objects float in crystal clear resolution to within inches of your eye.....it's breathtaking and one of those 'damn......did I really see that moments.'

Coupled with a great surround system [and Atmos, which I don't have] the experience can be startling. But there are some who cannot for health reasons or otherwise tolerate 3D and some are put off by the glasses, which, as you state, are really not bothersome.

Happily, the UK and other parts of the world still manufacture 3D BD~Vs and since I finally have a region free player [OPPO 205] I can safely buy them from all the world's regions. I especially LOVE ZAVVI in the UK which has gorgeous 3D Steelbook editions [usually £25 list] which I've been buying for some time. They charge 'peanuts' to ship to the US and their specials [like 3 Steelbooks for £20] are fantastic bonuses.

Especially arresting are the German Group Lichtmond's 3D/Dolby Atmos discs which marry startling 3D images with electronic music. I describe it as Avatar cloned 3D........like a silver orb coming within 2 inches of your face and gyrating 180 degrees in perfect focus and uncanny resolution. Once you've seen the holy grail 3D can offer.....you're hooked! And like SACD/DVD~A and all the other hi res formats.....when they and 3D didn't produce that IMMEDIATE sweet smell of success the companies ban together and withdraw them from the market and never look back.

My problem: I LOVE my projectors and am looking for a 3D device which replicates the look of OLED. But I was told....that's IMPOSSIBLE. And I was also told that Dolby Vision which is part of the UHD 4K standard can only be realized on OLED/LED Flatscreen TVs and NOT in projectors.

So I have ALL these wonderful 3D movies and I have to watch them in my bedroom on my 55" LG OLED Screen. I know, Mr. Smithers, poor Ralphie. Perhaps someday poor Ralphie will realize his goal of finding that perfect Laser Projector [NO more changing bulbs] which at last 'approximates' the OLED experience....but until then, there WILL be tears on my [bedroom] pillow! Sigh!

*BETTER 3D Glasses from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Better-quali...119758&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=3d+glasses&psc=1

I don't have Atmos yet either, but it's certainly something I'm hoping to get when I can. When I went to see Baby Driver last year - man the effects were so good my jaw dropped. It's defo on the wish list. I have seen all the new Star Wars films in 3D but not Atmos, so still waiting to have the Holy Grail. Although if I remember from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, you must choose very wisely!:eek:

I'm sure it would be impressive. I have the Kraftwerk 3D blu-ray in anticipation of my dream set up, so hopefully then I can get the full whammy.

I think you're right that projectors could be the saving grace. There is this one from Sony coming out? Crazy, crazy price but hopefully will come way down and become mainstream? And I'm pretty sure it does 3D?!

PS, if Kylie were in my bed I wouldn't be crying too much Ralphie :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I don't have Atmos yet either, but it's certainly something I'm hoping to get when I can. When I went to see Baby Driver last year - man the effects were so good my jaw dropped. It's defo on the wish list. I have seen all the new Star Wars films in 3D but not Atmos, so still waiting to have the Holy Grail. Although if I remember from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, you must choose very wisely!:eek:

I'm sure it would be impressive. I have the Karaftwerk 3D blu-ray in anticipation of my dream set up, so hopefully then I can get the full whammy.

I think you're right that projectors could be the saving grace. There is this one from Sony coming out? Crazy, crazy price but hopefully will come way down and become mainstream? And I'm pretty sure it does 3D?!

PS, if Kylie were in my bed I wouldn't be crying too much Ralphie :ROFLMAO:

I have Baby Driver in UHD 4K although it's not Native 4K [2K up conversion]. Insane movie. The cars as displayed on the OLED screen were so metallic........I can only imagine what it sounds like with a full Atmos set~up. I love the Kraftwerk 3D blu ray audios. One of my very favorite box sets as it contains NO NONSENSE 3D BD~A/Vs in the highest resolutions. Gorgeously put together. Bravo Kraftwerk. You may not be on everyone's radar but you exhibited a great deal of brilliance in your deluxe 'statement.'

I'll have to check out the SONY Projector. So many of the higher end SONYS fall short in the 3D department. And I'd like a laser light source. It lasts approximately 30K hours. Bulb changes are PITAs. My current Meridian projector flashes annoyingly when the bulb needs to be changed and when I press reset it usually lasts another 50 or so hours.

And yes, Mr. Smithers: One MUST choose wisely ...... or suffer the consequences!

BTW, when is the Paul Simon Concert?

Coming up on Sunday! Let's just hope he shows up! :)

LXQgxioh.jpg

Back