Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched Nobody again last night and wow, I really love that one too. I can't say that about very many recent films. It is pretty violent at times but it's got some great humor as well. Excellent fight sequences, photography and killer Atmos soundtrack. I'll have to keep an eye out for Naishuller's next one.

I loved it in the theater and am looking forward to the 4K disc. Now you've got me thinking about all that bonus material!

I thought I read that Nolan isn't a fan of Dolby Atmos, which is weird to me. Maybe he heard a bad presentation and had his mind set. Ironically, the soundtrack is up in Dolby Atmos on the streaming services and I've really enjoyed that one even though it's not super immersive.
Not to worry about the soundtrack ... I played it at a VERY robust volume and the music, sound effects, dialogue, et alia came across brilliantly! And for once, ALL the bonus features are excellent and didn't realize Nolan insists that ALL special effects be filmed in the camera and NOT CGI.

And those IMAX cameras are massive brutes especially when hand held.

I loved it in the theater and am looking forward to the 4K disc. Now you've got me thinking about all that bonus material!

I thought I read that Nolan isn't a fan of Dolby Atmos, which is weird to me. Maybe he heard a bad presentation and had his mind set. Ironically, the soundtrack is up in Dolby Atmos on the streaming services and I've really enjoyed that one even though it's not super immersive.
Are you sure it’s true Atmos? I’m not challenging you it just seems odd to me because Nolan does indeed prefer 5.1.

My thought might be it’s a 5.1 in an Atmos container?

I recently bought a new subwoofer that turned out to be a whole lot bigger than I wanted or thought. Kept it and when I first played my 4K Oppenheimer, the opening explosion almost blew my apartment windows out! OK, maybe not, but I had to keep lowering the volume of the woofer until it was the lowest it would go! My only complaint about the movie is I wanted more science animation dealing with atom splitting.

Are you sure it’s true Atmos? I’m not challenging you it just seems odd to me because Nolan does indeed prefer 5.1.

Could be. I'll have to mess around with turning off various speakers next time I listen. It's possible it's an upmix too. Not super immersive but it sounds nice.

I recently bought a new subwoofer that turned out to be a whole lot bigger than I wanted or thought. Kept it and when I first played my 4K Oppenheimer, the opening explosion almost blew my apartment windows out! OK, maybe not, but I had to keep lowering the volume of the woofer until it was the lowest it would go! My only complaint about the movie is I wanted more science animation dealing with atom splitting.

Here ya go,....

The Lighthouse (2019) 4K: https://www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Willem-Dafoe/dp/B0CJCC19BR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=B7WMYK1DPM9T&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.iT9TCpEHsbsxP7n6J0BTO3bCYQkvXJDV4SPzKWSCLGG9vUzENjGGljPmHNT8MNxUFhpV1HGm1BhcO3cv49tno0InPrDuFDy-BtmCNHoKoHh1YoybzTFsOxmYWEGcqNMzQ27Pt5IxPn5JjF4mK8G-dQ.Y3g-yj7y0VQCXb3V3FUOZXeCV2QGWSDTts3oNGANz6Y&dib_tag=se&keywords=the+lighthouse+4k&qid=1711139126&sprefix=the+lighthouse,aps,380&sr=8-2

1. Same active, constant DTS-MA 5.1 that was on the BD so no complaints there. Tis a goodie.

2. A discernable image upgrade from the BD (not that there was anything wrong with the BD) so worth the purchase says I.

3. I noticed something weird that I think I've narrowed down to the Dolby Vision layer and wanted to see if anyone who has this 4K disc and a player capable of DV can test? Here's the thing:

a. I backed up the 4K disc to MKV and played it back via a Zidoo Z9X media player which is capable of handling DV.
b. At around 44 minutes into it just after the seagull scene, the camera pans quickly to the left and then up to the top of the lighthouse. During this pan-up, the lighthouse becomes all pixelated and there are artefacts in the sky background around the top of the lighthouse.
c. When I viewed the 4K disc on my Sony X800 (not capable of DV but capable of HDR), this scene played fine with no artefacts.
d. I then switched off the DV on the Zidoo Z9X (I switched it from "Auto" to "HDR mapping"), played this scene on the MKV and it played fine with no artefacts.
e. So, I'm guessing there's something weird in the either the DV layer or how the Zidoo Z9X handles it (probably the latter). This is the second disc I have with weird DV behaviour that isn't exhibited when DV is switched off (the original Manchurian Candidate 4K is the other one).
f. If someone is able to please try this out and let me know what you see, that'd be mucho appreciated. I'd post this on another forum but you get the usual "you're doing it wrong" know-it-all response from the 20-something demographic. Y'all know the crowd.

Last edited:
The Lighthouse (2019) 4K: https://www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Willem-Dafoe/dp/B0CJCC19BR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=B7WMYK1DPM9T&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.iT9TCpEHsbsxP7n6J0BTO3bCYQkvXJDV4SPzKWSCLGG9vUzENjGGljPmHNT8MNxUFhpV1HGm1BhcO3cv49tno0InPrDuFDy-BtmCNHoKoHh1YoybzTFsOxmYWEGcqNMzQ27Pt5IxPn5JjF4mK8G-dQ.Y3g-yj7y0VQCXb3V3FUOZXeCV2QGWSDTts3oNGANz6Y&dib_tag=se&keywords=the+lighthouse+4k&qid=1711139126&sprefix=the+lighthouse,aps,380&sr=8-2

1. Same active, constant DTS-MA 5.1 that was on the BD so no complaints there. Tis a goodie.

2. A discernable image upgrade from the BD (not that there was anything wrong with the BD) so worth the purchase says I.

3. I noticed something weird that I think I've narrowed down to the Dolby Vision layer and wanted to see if anyone who has this 4K disc and a player capable of DV can test? Here's the thing:

a. I backed up the 4K disc to MKV and played it back via a Zidoo Z9X media player which is capable of handling DV.
b. At around 44 minutes into it just after the seagull scene, the camera pans quickly to the left and then up to the top of the lighthouse. During this pan-up, the lighthouse becomes all pixelated and there are artifacts in the sky background around the top of the lighthouse.
c. When I viewed the 4K disc on my Sony X800 (not capable of DV but capable of HDR), this scene played fine with no artefacts.
d. I then switched off the DV on the Zidoo Z9X (I switched it from "Auto" to "HDR mapping"), played this scene on the MKV and it played fine with no artefacts.
e. So, I'm guessing there's something weird in the either the DV layer or how the Zidoo Z9X handles it (probably the latter). This is the second disc I have with weird DV behaviour that isn't exhibited when DV is switched off (The original Manchurian Candidate 4K is the other one).
f. If someone is able to please try this out and let me know what you see, that'd be mucho appreciated. I'd post this on another forum but you get the usual "you're doing it wrong" know-it-all response from the 20-something demographic. Y'all know the crowd.
What I really enjoyed was that AmazonUS review [scroll down to first review] outlining the mythological elements of THE LIGHTHOUSE. Very interesting dissection.

I only have the BD 1080p of THE LIGHTHOUSE so cannot comment on the pixelation of that lighthouse sequence. Didn't realize the 4K was available from ARROW .... and that it was only available in that elaborate 4K box set/booklet combo from A24 Pictures website:

https://shop.a24films.com/products/the-lighthouse-collectors-edition?variant=39934018519089

Last edited:
What I really enjoyed was that AmazonUS review [scroll down to first review] outlining the mythological elements of THE LIGHTHOUSE. Very interesting dissection.

I only have the BD 1080p of THE LIGHTHOUSE so cannot comment on the pixelation of that lighthouse sequence. Didn't realize the 4K was available from ARROW .... and that it was only available in that elaborate 4K box set/booklet combo from A24 Pictures website:

https://shop.a24films.com/products/the-lighthouse-collectors-edition?variant=39934018519089
Yeah, that post was an eye-opener. Never would have gotten that without an ancient mythology degree!

I got the barebones 4K one disc Arrow release. I think there are a few extras that aren't on the original US BD release.

I checked out the streaming Oppenheimer soundtrack again this week and I think it's an authentic Atmos mix. There's not a lot going on in the heights most of the time but they do get full volume for brief periods. The mix is fairly immersive but there's not a lot of directional stuff going so it doesn't jump out at you. I suppose it's a typical surround mix for a soundtrack recording unlike say Hans Zimmer's Dune soundtracks, which are very active. It does sound nice in any case and there's some nice melodies in there.

From Lionsgate/A24 Films and director Sean Durkin THE IRON CLAW [1080p/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Iron-Claw-Blu-ray/347490/#Review

The Iron Claw – RazorFine Review

ZAC EFRON

I checked out the streaming Oppenheimer soundtrack again this week and I think it's an authentic Atmos mix. There's not a lot going on in the heights most of the time but they do get full volume for brief periods. The mix is fairly immersive but there's not a lot of directional stuff going so it doesn't jump out at you. I suppose it's a typical surround mix for a soundtrack recording unlike say Hans Zimmer's Dune soundtracks, which are very active. It does sound nice in any case and there's some nice melodies in there.
Wow I’m shocked, I wonder if Nolan is aware of this mix?

Wow I’m shocked, I wonder if Nolan is aware of this mix?
Yeah, I was too. Maybe he has less control over the soundtrack release or doesn't care since the film itself has a 5.1 mix. I was hoping Ludwig's Mandalorian soundtrack was in Atmos but no luck... Black Panther seems to be the only other Atmos release for him.

Yeah, I was too. Maybe he has less control over the soundtrack release or doesn't care since the film itself has a 5.1 mix. I was hoping Ludwig's Mandalorian soundtrack was in Atmos but no luck... Black Panther seems to be the only other Atmos release for him.
I apologize for some reason this entire time I thought you were referring to the fact that the film itself had a Dolby Atmos track only available on streaming services!

For some reason this time it finally clicked in my mind you were referring to the soundtrack release!

I apologize for some reason this entire time I thought you were referring to the fact that the film itself had a Dolby Atmos track only available on streaming services!

For some reason this time it finally clicked in my mind you were referring to the soundtrack release!
Ah, sorry about that! Yeah, I just meant the OST on the music streaming services.

Back