Gee I wish?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markbark

Gosh I miss 1973 when there were great mags and "gingerbread" was not considered gauche. I figure I have five scopes, and 28 uv and power meters. Am I nuts? Do I need a good shrink? It's great to find a forum with friendly people who do not attack each other over typo's. BTW who sponsors this great site ? Do you need donations?! Am I among'st friends or foe?:mad:@: OK now the questions . I know I will be asking a lot of diverse questions in one posting but my gosh..there are so many forums :). Thanks for your indulgence.

Would someone would explain all the levels, achievements, symbols ETC on the far left under screen name? Straight out answer lol...Does Dolby pro logic 11 decode correctly any of the "old" formats?. Are any of the "new" formats..Neo 6, Circle surround DTS, Dolby Digital , as good or better then the "old formats? If so what DVD-CD is a " must" to own? How about synthesizing: Do you feel that you get the best results from plain stereo using the logic matrix RM or SQ setting or the " synthesizing" settings on the decoders/receivers? What position is best using material coded for Dolby surround? Would playing an SQ record playing through a Vario matrix decoder give me more satisfaction then playing an RM record through a Full logic sq decoder? Again should I use the matrix setting on either? Do the "matrix" settings on any decoder employ logic or steering circuits? Does the synthesizing settings employ any logic circuits. Yes no answers are fine or SHOULD I PLACE THIS POSTING IN ANOtHER FORUM?????

Are there any links I must know about if I'm a quad nut? Where has this site been all my life considering that I've been a quad nut case for ( OMG! , 44 years:( ) My collection, all hooked together in two towers ( pic's when I get off my butt) Pioneer 949A Sansui 5500A, Sony 2010 Tecnics 4 channel scope, Heathkit 4 channel scope, Akai 80 whatever 8 track four channel recorder, Toyo 4 channel 8 track player, TEAC 32 something quad reel to real deck Marantz 510 amp,Marantz 150 with four channel scope,Technics direct drive turntable, Technics Sx 8000 receiver Yamaha 641 Av receiver, LG Blu ray player, Toshiba DVD recorder ( oh by the way I'm not "loaded" all this took a lot of time and good Ebay buying) oh speakers. I have Magnapan MMG's in the front and Magnapan MMwall mounts in the rear plus Three JBL 15" inch powered subwoofers. No I don't need nor want a center channel!! Tried it for years, thought the newer mags were full of distortion, now just four channels now and forever! Not to mention two hundred pounds of Magazines from 1968 through 1976. What I lack is software ( yes I have some quad 8 tracks and only about Fifteen assorted albums). I'm tired of seeing the quad software listed on Ebay at what I consider insane prices. How do I find "buys" in regard to software. Any software on Amazon that is a "must have" in regard to surround? Thanks in advance for my "education".

Have a great quad day quad day quad day, quad day! ( in four channel lol)

Last edited:
Howdy! You sound like you've bottled things up for a long time! Feels good to tell someone who actually knows what all the numbers mean eh? I got into this forum about 3 years ago and i have seen largely civil behavior although people do get passionate at times.

I actually don't know what all the forum stuff means either. I just post when i have something (no matter how inane) to say) and imagine people at the other end reacting with delight, disgust, or disdain.

I got into 4 channel back in about 1971 when somebody accidentally gave me a Q8 of Abraxas. I couldn't play it except on a 2 channel 8 track but it intrigued me enough so that I bought a Sony car player and tapes as I could afford with my summer wages figuring it would be really cool sounding and help me pick up chicks. The first was true, the second not so much.

After I parked the car I had the deck in I actually stuck my tapes in the trunk and didn't think abou them for about 20 years. I pulled the car out to sell it in 2003 and found the tapes were actually in pretty good shape so I bought a Pioneer Quad player QT 2100 on ebay and fixed the tapes hooked it to my garage amp (which co-oincidentally was a quad receiver i picked up cheap and I have been rehooked ever since.

I've also been tiptoeing into DVD audios as well but I never really been able to enjoy them to their fullest until I recently rejigged my setup with an OPPO 105 hooked to my old garage reciever (Pioneer QX 949A.) that i promoted to my man cave

i also have about 50 quad lps that I don't really use as much. Not too sure what to do with them.

Anyway I'm sure the gurus on here will answer your tech questions. Just wanted to welcome you in!

Kenny the canuck

kenny the canuc, I think you need a nice 5.1 receiver. I bought my "new" one off ebay for $37.00. You can get a nice older unit and with that Oppo 105 (get analog inputs) you will be in for a sonic treat. With that Oppo, you are cheating your self out of incredible enjoyment.

The Oppo a real good blu ray player that can also play any DVD audio and pretty much any other format My bank account is kind of broken at the moment because of it so I have to use what I have. So far it seems really good to me in the sense that I can control each channel totally which I have never been able to do before. I had a 5.1 receiver before that would only allow each channel to be attenuated + or - 12 db's as well as the tone controls that same amount. This way if I want to listen to only the vocal track I can. It really is an eduction to closely hear the vocalists phrasing, intonations and breathing. You can even here edits that get masked by the rest of the mix.

I don't know if I'm missing a pile of sound quality but I'm really enjoying what I can do. The sound seems pretty clean as I think with that amp if you put in clean signal you'l get a pretty clean signal out. (to a point)

kenny the canuck

I am behind the times What is an Oppo? Is it like 4 eared Hippo?

www.oppodigital.com

If not for this site, (QQ) I probably would have never known about Oppo. Back in the day, I would lurk as a guest and read comments about Oppo. Because even then they made classy dvd players that did the high rez formats. Being stubborn as hell, I put it off, and checked into Oppo until my doubts were satisfied. Bought the cheapest one, and it was the absolute best PQ from a dvd player I had ever seen, not to mention there was no more having to swap lines when I wanted to listen tp dvd-a/ or sacd. On my second-the 93, and added the nuforce mod. (NE) Still have the 970 Oppo, and it still is in service by my son. I have become an advocate of Oppo now. Having dealt with the excellent CS, and support. This little outfit makes one hell of a high qulity unit, with the drives used in high end equipment, and it has become without any ads, by word of mouth very popular. You will see them at Crutchfield now and in audio mags.

Hi Mark. Welcome to QQ. I "run" this place, but it pretty much runs itself. Members are free to post whatever they like as long as they to not insult other members or become arrogant and unsocial. You can swear if the need appears, we don't censor anything, but please use that "feature" in moderation! :)

Now, as for your questions:

Gosh I miss 1973 when there were great mags and "gingerbread" was not considered gauche.

There are things I miss about 1973, mostly the fact that I was 21! :)

BTW who sponsors this great site ? Do you need donations?! Am I among'st friends or foe?

I do, and no, we don't take donations or have ads. And yes, you are among friends

Would someone would explain all the levels, achievements, symbols ETC on the far left under screen name?

This was a forum "enhancement" that I added a year or so ago. Problem is, it was not an official release from vBulletin, and consequently the writer of the code called it quits, leaving those forums that used his mod high and dry. It really doesn't do anything but dress up the place a little, and annoy some members. :)

Does Dolby pro logic 11 decode correctly any of the "old" formats

Not really. Although there were a few commerciall released DPLII CDs (mostly by RCA) in the late '90s, vintage SQ and QS do little more than a stereo LP does when played through a DPLII receiver.

...considering that I've been a quad nut case for ( OMG! , 44 years:( ) My collection....

Your collection sounds impressive. Congratulations.

How do I find "buys" in regard to software.

That is a crap shoot. Since your new to the forum and sounds like you missed the whole DVD-A and SACD era, you should look for a used Oppo BDP-83 for a starter, and aquire DVD-A and SACD titles that are still available. Many are not. Check out the forum's Hi-Rez Poll sections and results page for a good starting point.

As for the forums many sections, fear not, if you put something in the wrong section, most won't even notice and it will probably stay there. We're pretty loose around these parts. Ceremony is not something we stand on.

Feel free to ask away. The membership responds quite well to cordial and non-abrasive folks, and you don't have to be a long time forum member to be welcomed here.

Just dive right in!

:phones

JON Thanks for the 411. I hope I didn't create a mistake already by the use of anything offensive? I have participated on other sites that seem to take great glee in snarking one another over "nits". NO NO I DID NOT MEAN YOUR reply lol lol. As an example the person who just posted about the interesting HEADPHONE post was very concerned about posting in the wrong forum.

Look if I can be of any help let me know. Your doing great work and I'm sure we all appreciate it. Ok have a great day as we in CT prepare to get out the snow blower yet again.

Ok have a great day as we in CT prepare to get out the snow blower yet again.
Let's all post pictures of our snow blowers.

Attachments

• blow_this.jpg
    blow_this.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 96
Back