Gentle Giant - Octopus BluRay disc will not play in 5.1 only 2.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisMoore Jr.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Help! My Octopus BluRay disc will not play in 5.1 DTS Master Audio.

Octopus arrived yesterday, but I had to click several times on "DTS-MasterAudio" to engage 5.1. It would appear to change but would actually revert back to 2.0 playback. After 3 or 4 times selecting 5.1 it worked.

Today it will not engage DTS-MasterAudio no matter how many times I select it in the menu. I have tried over 25 times
but it always reverts back to 2.0. I have reset my BluRay player and my receiver. Yes, all other 5.1 BluRay discs play fine on my system.

Anybody else having this trouble with Octopus?

Sorry to hear you're having problems with this. It plays fine with me. Have you tried all 3 copies that you purchased?

When you change the audio stream via the audio button on your remote, does it stay at 5.1?

It never really shows the 5.1 selection has been made and the white diamond icon never moves down to 5.1 DTS Master Audio.

It goes back to the left side menu select.... it all happens very quickly, but the 5.1 choice never "sticks".

What I am trying to say is when the stereo stream is playing, does pressing the audio button on your remote give you a choise to select the 5.1 stream? This is not on the menu, it is a little pop up menu.

I am spinning the disc now, to see what happens.

This is what I am talking about Dennis, but upside down :D

image.jpg

Hi Dennis,

I've just tried it (I haven't played it up until now - saving it!) on my Denon DBP-2012UD. From the initial 'boot' menu I selected Audio, scrolled down to DTS 5.1 selected it, then hit play album and out it came in 5.1. So I tried pushing the Audio button on my remote and it switched happily between stereo & 5.1, in fact its the quickest change over on any of my discs. My player did take quite a while to get to the Legal Notice, then also to the Main Menu, but it has been not recognising discs being present from time to time.

Could you have a firmware incompatibility between your player and the disc (the disc is region 0 so all regions)?

Hopefully you'll resolve the weirdness and get some 5.1 GG blasting out.

Cheers

Duncan

This is what I am talking about Dennis, but upside down :D

I used the "audio" button on my remote while playing and it changed it into 5.1 successfully!

Thank you SO much RvD! :)

P.S. The main menu command still will not change into 5.1. Strange, must be an incompatibility with the player like Duncan said. (y)

I used the "audio" button on my remote while playing and it changed it into 5.1 successfully!

Thank you SO much RvD! :)

P.S. The main menu command still will not change into 5.1. Strange, must be an incompatibility with the player like Duncan said. (y)

Great news. Report back your views after a listening or 3! I'm listening to it again now, marching round to the music with the kids!

Great news. Report back your views after a listening or 3! I'm listening to it again now, marching round to the music with the kids!

Like this?

step-in-time-mary-poppins.gif

As for the new Gentle Giant:

I find it absolutely stunning. I'm not too enthralled with the upmixes but then I didn't expect anything. There's more than enough with the surviving 5.1 remixes AND the live bonus. The sound is CRYSTAL. It brings out what the band was trying to do all those years ago. I consider it to be a revelation.

I was never a huge fan of "River" but the 5.1 remix shows everything the lads were trying to do and now I LOVE it!

I remained stunned. What a gift! I never expected Octopus. What a treasure. Ya know something laddie???

We are so lucky that Steven Wilson has the same musical tastes as you and I. ;)

If he wasn't a fan, we never would have this treasured offering...

I still can't believe it.

I think I will go to Disneyworld! :banana:

I am awaiting my copy of Octopus, and now anticipate some DTS engage problem as well.

And yes it would seem the only cure is the audio button on the remote.

Nice to know you have it working, Lord High Lupinator.

My Yes-Yes Album bluray and XTC Oranges bluray give me a similar problem.And the cure.....for the Yes album hit the audio button on the remote on the 2nd song, and it engages DTS in the reciever.For XTC the 3rd song. Once engagement of DTS occurs in the reciever , I can go back and play the prior songs in DTS.

Fizzled

Back