George Harrison Live In Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I really hoped this would be good but I am really disappointed by the mix on this one. To me it just sounds kind of muddy and is just ambience in the back with some applause. No discrete information at all. Much on the order of a Silverline release (sorry to say). Luckily it was only $9.99 for a double disc at BB.

I did try it using the stereo layer through DPLII and that was much better.

Bob Romano said:
I really hoped this would be good but I am really disappointed by the mix on this one. To me it just sounds kind of muddy and is just ambience in the back with some applause. No discrete information at all. Much on the order of a Silverline release (sorry to say). Luckily it was only $9.99 for a double disc at BB.

Bob is $9.99 their normal or sale price, that seems cheap? On other posts I thought I saw prices from $21.99-29.99.

texquad said:
Bob is $9.99 their normal or sale price, that seems cheap? On other posts I thought I saw prices from $21.99-29.99.
It was a sale price. All the GH titles were $9.99. At my Best Buy "Live In Japan" was located in the SACD section and only 1 copy was available. Good Luck!

texquad said:

The disc lists for around $30 so the Best Buy pricing is a mistake. I suspect they will correct the price when they realize what happened. Everyone else has it in the price range you mentioned.

bmoura said:
The disc lists for around $30 so the Best Buy pricing is a mistake. I suspect they will correct the price when they realize what happened. Everyone else has it in the price range you mentioned.
It's funny because the normal price on the disc itself is $13.99. They have a card in the bin that shows the sale for $9.99.

Bob Romano said:
It's funny because the normal price on the disc itself is $13.99. They have a card in the bin that shows the sale for $9.99.

The $13.99 "normal price" is also incorrect. What Best Buy did is price Live in Japan at the same level as all of the single disc Harrison remastered releases.

I'm sure as soon as they realize the error, Best Buy will reprice the Live in Japan 2-disc set correctly.

But this sort of thing has happened before - witness the under $10 price for one of the Miles Davis SACDs when it first came out at Fry's awhile back.

It's an example of the mass merchandisers being a little careless in their pricing.

bmoura said:
But this sort of thing has happened before - witness the under $10 price for one of the Miles Davis SACDs when it first came out at Fry's awhile back.

It's an example of the mass merchandisers being a little careless in their pricing.
Now that you mention it, I did get my James Taylor "JT" MC SACD at $9.99. I guess it's my gain-their loss that they aren't more careful.

So anyone else listen to theirs? Whaddya think?

Bob Romano said:

Bob, I agree, The mix is not that good. The center channel isn't used at all and as u said, the surrounds have only a little crowd noise. Harrison's lead vocal seems to be buried under the other vocalists at times. I'm sure glad I only paid the $9.99 too. You gotta love BBuys. Not only didn't they have a clue that it was a SACD disc but it was a 2-disc set too!!!
Tim

texquad said:
Anybody know if BB is still selling this for $9.99 or did they correct the price?

Last I heard it was still $9.99 at Best Buy. But many of the Best Buys are sold out of the disc. (Not surprising, given the price!)

I had to hit two stores, but I got one still at $9.99. My copy had 3 price stickers on it the first 2 for $19.99 than the last one for $13.99.

Last edited:
Again I helped out Best Buy; I put the 9.99 sale sign in the SACD section. I helped them out a few weeks ago when Eltons' GBYBR was on sale by doing the same thing.
At my BB the surround section is a mess! They really have no clue, but at least they support the format. Today I located the Bob Dylan SACDs in with the regular CDs. I think that the dual layer stuff should be with the regular CDs-I mean what harm could it do.
The Harrison CD really wasn't that good. I played my old stereo version alongside the SACD, and switched back and forth. I found that only the sound field was wider, but of course. The actual richness or clarity of sound was all the same by my ear. Actually, I think the old version may have sounded better. Oh well, the Dylan SACD (Blood On The Tracks) was great.

Bob Romano said:
It was a sale price. All the GH titles were $9.99. At my Best Buy "Live In Japan" was located in the SACD section and only 1 copy was available. Good Luck!

I've looked for the "LIVE IN JAPAN" disc at 3 different Best Buys in 2 states, and have come up empty. They have the sale cards in the racks for all the new re-issues at $9.99, but no copies of the discs! Even at the sale price, I have a hard time believing ALL these new discs are selling out in every store! Plenty of copies of "CONCERT FOR GEORGE" and "ALL THINGS MUST PASS" but, of course, those aren't on sale. When I asked a clerk if I could get a Rain Check for the sale price, he tried to put it in the computer, but was told it wasn't eligible for a rain check. Isn't this called "Bait & Switch"?

I was told no raincheck because it wasn't an advertised item. I guess it can't be "bait and switch" if they technically didn't "bait" you with an ad.

Just an FYI, The benefit Concert for George is on PBS tonight (3/3) in most parts of the States. Should be a good show.

Barry

cwellock said:
I've looked for the "LIVE IN JAPAN" disc at 3 different Best Buys in 2 states, and have come up empty. They have the sale cards in the racks for all the new re-issues at $9.99, but no copies of the discs! Even at the sale price, I have a hard time believing ALL these new discs are selling out in every store! Plenty of copies of "CONCERT FOR GEORGE" and "ALL THINGS MUST PASS" but, of course, those aren't on sale. When I asked a clerk if I could get a Rain Check for the sale price, he tried to put it in the computer, but was told it wasn't eligible for a rain check. Isn't this called "Bait & Switch"?

bear said:
Just an FYI, The benefit Concert for George is on PBS tonight (3/3) in most parts of the States. Should be a good show.

Barry

This is one great concert! If you have an HDTV, it will be even better!

mrtanner said:
I was told no raincheck because it wasn't an advertised item. I guess it can't be "bait and switch" if they technically didn't "bait" you with an ad.

But aren't the cards in the display racks that say "Sale-$9.99" a form of advertising? And what good does it do to have something on sale, if you don't have any available for the customer to buy? What's to keep them from saying "All CD's on sale for $1, but we don't actually have any right now."

How much you want to bet, as soon as the sale is over, there will be PLENTY of George Harrison discs in the racks?

-Charlie

cwellock said:
But aren't the cards in the display racks that say "Sale-$9.99" a form of advertising? And what good does it do to have something on sale, if you don't have any available for the customer to buy? What's to keep them from saying "All CD's on sale for $1, but we don't actually have any right now."

How much you want to bet, as soon as the sale is over, there will be PLENTY of George Harrison discs in the racks?

-Charlie

Depends on which price they use. If it's $13.99, I'm sure the sales rate will still be quite healthy !

Finally snaged this puppy for $10 at BB. Nice and smooth, just the way George always played.

"If I needed someone" was the track I was looking for. My sweet lord is a thing of beauty.

I still find it hard to believe. Reg price $14 at BB, $27 at Amazon, $30 at Newbury Comics. BB did us all a great favor here.

B00014TJU2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(y)

If your BB is anything like mine, it is more like 'bait and search'. As I've said before, they could be anywhere. Did you look in the SACD/DVD-A section? How about in the CD and DVD section?

If you can't find it,there is always Amazon.com (of course it won't be 9.99). Also, if you don't have the 'Concert for George' DVD, I highly reccomend it.

Back