HiRez Poll Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

• Total voters
Not sure what your looking for Bags. These two tracks are immersive but not discrete, except both tunes have a left cowbell rear discrete, maybe a little boring? From a discrete point of view, BUT you have to figure what the mixer had to work with. Now I am on Sweet Child Of Mine and definitely better.
Is that what you are asking?
They're both missing about 10 db of bass.

these two tracks are immersive but not discrete, except both tunes have a left cowbell rear discrete, maybe a little boring? From a discrete point of view, BUT you have to figure what the mixer had to work with.

You sure about that? "Michelle" has the intro guitar and some vocal doubling in the rears, and "Think About You" has an acoustic guitar overdub in the rears during the chorus. However, you're absolutely right that there isn't a lot to work with on some of these songs. Scheiner opted to leave Slash and Izzy's guitars in the fronts most of the time, so some tracks are indeed a bit front-heavy, but there is always some overdub or extra element that bursts from the rears. Love this disc! What I'd give to hear AC/DC or Van Halen mixed this way...

You sure about that? "Michelle" has the intro guitar and some vocal doubling in the rears, and "Think About You" has an acoustic guitar overdub in the rears during the chorus. However, you're absolutely right that there isn't a lot to work with on some of these songs. Scheiner opted to leave Slash and Izzy's guitars in the fronts most of the time, so some tracks are indeed a bit front-heavy, but there is always some overdub or extra element that bursts from the rears. Love this disc! What I'd give to hear AC/DC or Van Halen mixed this way...
Yeah, that's what I mean.
Don't come at me too professional as I will disapoint you with my infrerior knowledge, but if you want to party and listen to music, I'm your guy.

You sure about that? "Michelle" has the intro guitar and some vocal doubling in the rears, and "Think About You" has an acoustic guitar overdub in the rears during the chorus. However, you're absolutely right that there isn't a lot to work with on some of these songs. Scheiner opted to leave Slash and Izzy's guitars in the fronts most of the time, so some tracks are a indeed a bit front-heavy, but there is always some overdub or extra element that bursts from the rears. Love this disc! What I'd give to hear AC/DC or Van Halen mixed this way...
What’s amazing to me about Scheiner’s mix is how visceral Slash and Izzy’s guitars sound. They’re so present and defined that I can smell the tubes burning in their Marshall amps. Unlike any other guitar-led hard/heavy rock MC experience I’ve ever had.

What’s amazing to me about Scheiner’s mix is how visceral Slash and Izzy’s guitars sound. They’re so present and defined that I can smell the tubes burning in their Marshall amps. Unlike any other guitar-led hard/heavy rock MC experience I’ve ever had.
I was gonna say that. The rythm guitar sound is in your face.

They're both missing about 10 db of bass.
So, it's very intriguing to me that some listeners are not bothered by the missing bass from Michelle and Think About You.
They are both audibly missing around 10 db of bass, on my system. I turn the subs up 10 db and they sound ok.
Maybe bass management is at work here? Maybe I was listening in "direct" mode (which plays the source as-is) and others are listening in DTS or Dolby (can't remember which it has).
Can anyone else listen from Paradise City through Sweet Child and report whether you hear the drastic bass drop? If so, or if not, please give your relevant settings. I'd love to get to the bottom of this.

So, it's very intriguing to me that some listeners are not bothered by the missing bass from Michelle and Think About You.
They are both audibly missing around 10 db of bass, on my system. I turn the subs up 10 db and they sound ok.
Maybe bass management is at work here? Maybe I was listening in "direct" mode (which plays the source as-is) and others are listening in DTS or Dolby (can't remember which it has).
Can anyone else listen from Paradise City through Sweet Child and report whether you hear the drastic bass drop? If so, or if not, please give your relevant settings. I'd love to get to the bottom of this.
That's a heavy request, man, I just listened awhile ago and did not hear a heavy bass drop. But I also wasn't listening for it. I think I would have heard it though.

It ain't just you! I listened to the DTS-MA 5.1 last night and also noticed the drop in bass on those 2 tracks. It's particularly noticeable on the bass drum - there's a lack of thump, particularly compared to Paradise City before and then it's really noticeable once Sweet Child kicks in - you can hear what was missing on Think About You. I'm not as familiar with those 2 tracks as I am with Paradise City and Sweet Child though - maybe the original album had less bass too? I have no idea. That guitar bit in the chorus of Think About You is buried as well. Would have been nice if that was more prominent.

It ain't just you! I listened to the DTS-MA 5.1 last night and also noticed the drop in bass on those 2 tracks. It's particularly noticeable on the bass drum - there's a lack of thump, particularly compared to Paradise City before and then it's really noticeable once Sweet Child kicks in - you can hear what was missing on Think About You. I'm not as familiar with those 2 tracks as I am with Paradise City and Sweet Child though - maybe the original album had less bass too? I have no idea. That guitar bit in the chorus of Think About You is buried as well. Would have been nice if that was more prominent.
Dude. On the original LP Michelle is absolutely THE SHIT. When the band comes in it HITS HARD. That's why I noticed the lack of bass right away.

Dude. On the original LP Michelle is absolutely THE SHIT. When the band comes in it HITS HARD. That's why I noticed the lack of bass right away.
I’m gonna give it a good listen today. If the low end force was there on the LP, where the hell did it go?

I’m in total agreement, Mike. My Michelle starts decently but the bass disappears as soon as the main riff kicks in. Which is where the punch is most needed. Think About You suffers too but not as badly to my ear. Neither is at the killer level of all other songs on this one. Weird.

Is it possible there's a phase-inverted channel on either of those tracks? Bass issues with Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow were found to be caused by one or more channels being phase-inverted.

Last edited:
Is it possible there's a phase-inverted channel on either of those tracks? Bass issues with Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow were found to be caused by one or more channels being phase-inverted.
I think someone more wav analysis savvy than I would have to figure that out for sure.
If my video can help as a starting point for someone to dig deep, cool. All I know is we're about 10 db shy of bass on those two. AND when you pump the bass, it's mostly bass guitar supplying the thump. WTF happened to the kick?

Me too

Back