Hardware/Software To Play CPPM Protected DVD-A Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etzeppy

A friend recently bought a SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card and PowerDVD 6 deluxe for DVD-Audio playback. This is all installed on a Windows XP system. The problem is that this setup will not play the MLP track on any DVD-A disc with CPPM encryption. PowerDVD gives an error about being unable to update the CPPM key and only gives access to the DVD-V audio tracks. Non-encrypted DVD Audio discs seem to work fine.

After a little internet searching, there seems to be a lot of people with similar issues but I cannot find good answers on what the problem is and how to solve. Should this setup be able to play DVD-A titles with CPPM protection or is there special hardware and/or software required for this capability?

Any help is appreciated.

I believe PowerDVD version 7.3 Ultra is required to play MLP encrypted files. The MLP encrypted playing capability is an add-on (Ultra) to the normal PowerDVD (Deluxe) package.

I'm not certain PowerDVD version 6 has an Ultra add-on. Someone else may know about that.

Hope this helps,
George

Did you try Creative's player? You need the latest "Creative MediaSource DVD-Audio Player" software. See here, but ah.. the X-Fi Xtreme Audio is not supported, but e.g. the XtremeMusic is :mad:@:.
(it's always such a mess with Creative support and product naming. The X-Fi Xtreme Audio is in fact an Audigy renamed to X-Fi).

Did you try Creative's player? You need the latest "Creative MediaSource DVD-Audio Player" software. See here, but ah.. the X-Fi Xtreme Audio is not supported, but e.g. the XtremeMusic is :mad:@:.
(it's always such a mess with Creative support and product naming. The X-Fi Xtreme Audio is in fact an Audigy renamed to X-Fi).

The whole thing is very confusing. It almost looks like only certain sound cards are capable of dealing with CPPM and this might not be one of them. The specs for the card include DVD-A support but I did not know about this CPPM issue. It might only have "limited" DVD-A capabilites. I have a message into Creative since their documentation is useless.

Back