Here's a strange one!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lemme' see.

If the SQ is superimposed upon the CD-4 then there will be an additional track "folded" in upon each standard track resulting in what? 8 tracks of output?

Obviously just an attempt by the corporate monolithic establishments to sell more speakers and channels of amplification!!!!

Can't see any reason (other than licensing) that a CD-4 lp couldn't be matrix encoded as well. I suspect a few of em actually are, since they decode almost identically though the Tate as through a demodulator.

sspsandy said:
Can't see any reason (other than licensing) that a CD-4 lp couldn't be matrix encoded as well. I suspect a few of em actually are, since they decode almost identically though the Tate as through a demodulator.

examples?

winopener said:
examples?
I have some of these Lps there are not QUAD and if you look close it is

SO not SQ

But it looke like it is CD4

Ron

Peering at the SQ/SO I can see aspects of the "SO" that make it akin to the official SQ logo but, the little dangling thing that makes an O a Q appears to be absent.

Since it appears to be a take-off of the SQ logo I am gonna' guess the LP is one of those Taiwan rip-offs made of the crappiest vinyl imaginable that acts as sandpaper against thine stylus.

I bought a few of those super cheap LPs while over there keeping the Commies off the shore of California. Many sailors bought 'em, recorded them, then stashed them away never to be played again. Of course, no royalties were paid by the Taiwanese manufacturers and audio quality could range from good to horrendous.

I betcha the phony SQ logo was added to enhance sales appeal. It's likely the piraters were lacking in knowledge about quad. I would be surprised if the album was encoded in CD-4 since the equipment to create a CD-4 record is more complicated than that for a matrixed LP.

If the LP is encoded at all I believe it would be a matrix-type such as SQ but even that format is doubtful.

The albums that display the same kinds of quad mix in SQ and in CD-4 that I can think of are Frank Zappa Overnight Sensation, on 50 50 where the voice swirls around though the speakers, On Jethro Tull Aqualung the orchestral parts are all around you as well as on Locomotive Breath the heavy guitar kicks in in the rears,and on Hot Tuna America's Choice there are lots of instruments panning aroud. This being said, they all sound way more discrete played in CD-4, but I did notice that the mixes appeared the same when played back through the Tate.

So who's gonna buy it and find out? I've always wondered what Steve McQueen's story is... :rolleyes:

bizmopeen said:
So who's gonna buy it and find out? I've always wondered what Steve McQueen's story is... :rolleyes:

He peed in that BIG vat of Newman's Own salad dressing while visiting the factory.

Obbop said:
He peed in that BIG vat of Newman's Own salad dressing while visiting the factory.

Also, Keith Moon shat on SM's side of the beach (metaphorically speaking of course). The two lived next door to each other's beach front properties, but Steve was never humored by Keith's shenanigans.

Last edited:
Back