How Do I make a DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to write and express thanks for the tip about R8Brain. An application dedicated to rate conversion. Great idea. I can't get it to convert a 24/96 file though. Keep getting an error message about the file having an "unsupported tag FFFEH and thus cannot be read." Tried it with many different 24/96 files both multichannel and single channel with the same error resulting. What am I doing wrong? or does R8Brain not support 24/96 files?

It did work to upsample a 16/44.1 file to 16/96.

Anyway, thanks Neil for the tip about R8Brain.

Why would a software company discontinue a product like this? They might stop working on it, and/or stop supporting it, but why stop selling it? It costs them nothing to sell. They should blow it out at a real cheap price for those that can't afford it in the fist place.

Why would a software company discontinue a product like this? They might stop working on it, and/or stop supporting it, but why stop selling it? It costs them nothing to sell. They should blow it out at a real cheap price for those that can't afford it in the fist place.

Amen Jon.

discs containing mch LPCM tracks can be authored with free softwares (eg. MultiAVCHD) and can be burnt onto DVD media (as BD5 and BD9) as well.

I had no luck converting .mlp to AC3 with multiAVCHD and writing a usable disc.

If I try using .wav, do I rip them with DVDAExplorer as a single .wav or 6 separate channels ?

I will be writing the resulting files to a regular DVD-V.

OK, try this then:
1. eac3to audio.mlp audio.flac
2. AudioMuxer + audio.flac. Mux to MKV / Blank Video / Export to Blu-ray iso.
This way you get a BD-audio iso with LPCM audio and you've stayed lossless.

Thanks for all of the input gang, but it's just too much grief.

Fook it. I'll just have to get up of my behind and switch discs if I feel like a mix...

Don't give up. If you have a BD player the audio transfer I posted earlier is the simplest free way to completely losslessly create your own hi-res multi-channel audio compilation on discs. If you don't mind tle lossy route then with AudioMuxer you can author audio DVD-V discs from ac3 audio files. AC3 audio can be extracted from the orginal disc (if it contains Dolby Digital tracks) or can be transcoded from mlp files using eac3to (the command line syntax: eac3to audio.mlp audio.ac3). AudioMuxer supports dts tracks, too. A way better (lossless or almost lossless) solution is applying HD/DVD-Audio Solo but the free trials are limited to burn 5 full DVDs and 30 days.

Thanks for all of the input gang, but it's just too much grief.

Fook it. I'll just have to get up of my behind and switch discs if I feel like a mix...

Did you finish the DVDA disc you started in post #57 before switching to the BluRay and DVDV projects? How did it turn out?

Did you finish the DVDA disc you started in post #57 before switching to the BluRay and DVDV projects? How did it turn out?

That was my second coaster :)

I tried a test disc with one song split into six .wav files... what I ended up with was a disc with six individual 'songs'... LF, C, RF, LR, RR, and LFE :)

I tried a test disc with one song split into six .wav files... what I ended up with was a disc with six individual 'songs'... LF, C, RF, LR, RR, and LFE :)

That's pretty good then. You authored a DVDA that had on it exactly what you put into it.

Next one should be a breeze. Try one with a single multichannel song. Make sure its 24 bit/48 kHz sampling rate (like Porcupine Tree uses) so it fits into the software you're using.

Use DVDAExplorer to save a multichannel .wav file. Then use DVD-Audio Solo to make a DVDA of that multichannel song.

When you're successful with this, the natural next step is a multitrack, multichannel DVDA.

That's pretty good then. You authored a DVDA that had on it exactly what you put into it.

Next one should be a breeze. Try one with a single multichannel song. Make sure its 24 bit/48 kHz sampling rate (like Porcupine Tree uses) so it fits into the software you're using.

Use DVDAExplorer to save a multichannel .wav file. Then use DVD-Audio Solo to make a DVDA of that multichannel song.

When you're successful with this, the natural next step is a multitrack, multichannel DVDA.

Thanks for the encouragement... I only have one disc left on the demo version of DVD-Audio Solo, so I'll go for broke and try a bunch of songs. :)

I think most DVD-A tracks have copy control limiting to 48/24 copies anyway.

I think most DVD-A tracks have copy control limiting to 48/24 copies anyway.

This has nothing to do with copying DVD-A tracks. DVDAExplorer will decode an MLP file and save it as a multichannel .wav file. If you do that to a 24/96 file, you will not be able to use it with DVD-Audio Solo.

This has nothing to do with copying DVD-A tracks. DVDAExplorer will decode an MLP file and save it as a multichannel .wav file. If you do that to a 24/96 file, you will not be able to use it with DVD-Audio Solo.

Well, it looks like I did it. Thanks for the tips George.

I ripped the multichannel 96/24 tracks from 22 different DVD-A's to single .wav files (each around 400 MB) and wrote them to a double layer DVD with DVD-Audio Solo resulting in an 8.2 GB disc which leads me to believe there was no downconversion.

The 'mix' disc plays just like a CD and sounds excellent. Yippie !

Excellent, filper.
Top effort indeed.

DVD-Audio Solo does actually seem to allow 24/96 5.1 files to be authored, even though this is out of spec.
Some players will certainly handle this, but support is not guaranteed.
DVD-A audio limits are 9600 kbps according to spec, but 24/96 5.1 is around 13,300 kbps.
The decoder chip is the key here.

Well, it looks like I did it. Thanks for the tips George.

I ripped the multichannel 96/24 tracks from 22 different DVD-A's to single .wav files (each around 400 MB) and wrote them to a double layer DVD with DVD-Audio Solo resulting in an 8.2 GB disc which leads me to believe there was no downconversion.

The 'mix' disc plays just like a CD and sounds excellent. Yippie !
Well, on my trial with HD-audio Solo Ultra v3.0 the software didn't allow me to author a DVD-audio disc from 5.1 24/96 audio files without downconversion. Choosing one of the downconversion options was mandatory. Eg. the first line in the output channels section means that the program downsamples the Group 2 LFE, SL, SR channels to 16 bit/48 kHz.

Attachments

• hdaudiosolo.jpg
    hdaudiosolo.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Well, on my trial with HD-audio Solo Ultra v3.0 the software didn't allow me to author a DVD-audio disc from 5.1 24/96 audio files without downconversion. Choosing one of the downconversion options was mandatory. Eg. the first line in the output channels section means that the program downsamples the Group 2 LFE, SL, SR channels to 16 bit/48 kHz.

Did you check off 'Ignore Stream Encryption' when ripping to a single .wav file with DVDAExplorer ?

I used foobar with DVD-A plugin for audio extraction. However, imo downsampling in HD-audio Solo is irrespective of the way of audio extraction.

I've found the quality is better from HD-Audio Solo Ultra if you change the output sample rate to 48kHz. Then you can leave the sample size at 24 bit; which is much more important to sound quality imho.

- Ben

Back