How Do I make a DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put one of the discs I wrote into DVDAExplorer and it says Group 1 (Lf-Rf-C) are 96000 24 bit, but Group 2 (LFE-Ls-Rs) are 48000 16 bit...

How did that happen ?

Sukothai, agreed. The preferred option for 5.1 audio is 24/96 Lf,Rf and 24/48 C, LFE, Ls, Rs.
Filper, you had used the default downconversion settings I reported in my post #97.

The preferred option for 5.1 audio is 24/96 Lf,Rf and 24/48 C, LFE, Ls, Rs.
Filper, you had used the default downconversion settings I reported in my post #97.

I tried it again with the new settings... I got 24/96 Lf,Rf and 24/48 C, LFE, Ls, Rs.

Thanks a million ! I owe you a beer.

Great thread, guys. It's fun to see something come together from scratch! Good job, guys.

Great thread, guys. It's fun to see something come together from scratch! Good job, guys.

That is why we all love this great forum of yours Jon, sharing.

I'm not afraid to admit I mess up. Learning curve.

Thanks gang. Group hug. :)

Last edited:
It seems that Cirlinca have removed the option to write an OOS disc.
This is probably a good idea, as it would be very frustrating to write & create a disc, then find your player cannot cope with the 13+ Mbps bitstream.

Cirlinca are doing a great job with this tool.

It seems that Cirlinca have removed the option to write an OOS disc.
This is probably a good idea, as it would be very frustrating to write & create a disc, then find your player cannot cope with the 13+ Mbps bitstream.

Cirlinca are doing a great job with this tool.

Absolutely. Downsampling C, LFE, Rs and Ls to 24 bit 48000 makes no audible difference to me.

Would .mlp files ripped from a commercial DVD-A with DVDAExplorer using the 'store' option work 'as is' with DiscWelder Chrome ?

Would .mlp files ripped from a commercial DVD-A with DVDAExplorer using the 'store' option work 'as is' with DiscWelder Chrome ?

Yes, but with one major proviso.
Watermarks will be transferred if present - and if your player honours the mark, playback will stop at the first one.
Otherwise.....no problem.

I put one of the discs I wrote into DVDAExplorer and it says Group 1 (Lf-Rf-C) are 96000 24 bit, but Group 2 (LFE-Ls-Rs) are 48000 16 bit...

How did that happen ?

Aargh - I only just saw this post.
This is perfectly legal, and is why there are 2 groups of channels for DVDA.
Group 1 is the "control" group.
Group 2 is normally the same as Group 1, but there can be exceptions.
If space is tight, group 2 can be either the same as or lower than group 1 within the same sample rate family.
So, in your case, Group 1 is 24/96 (what channels? There are 3 possibilities in 5.1...
1 - L, R, & C, LFE, Ls, Rs
2 - L, R, C & LFE, LS, Rs
3 - L, R, Ls, Rs & C, LFE)
This means group 2 can be either
A - 24/96
B - 20/96
C - 16/96
D - 24/48
E - 20/48
F - 16/48
Same rules apply if the 44.1kHz family is used......

Yes, but with one major proviso.
Watermarks will be transferred if present - and if your player honours the mark, playback will stop at the first one.
Otherwise.....no problem.

Does this apply to individual tracks ? Say, to make a mix disc...

So the only way around it is to rip each track into 6 separate .wavs and re-encode with SurCode before authoring (if the player recognizes the watermarks) ?

With the process you're using, the Oppo 980h is the way around it. Decoding and subsequent re-encoding will have no effect on the watermark. The player is not recognizing the watermark but its still there.

So I'm guessing by my math (if I had DiscWelder) I could get 40+ MLP (watermarked) encoded tunes on one double layer DVD+R...

Reasonable ?

I have an Oppo 80.

I'd say your math is correct. I once got the first 4 Led Zeppelin albums on a single layer DVDA.

I thought you had the 980h. What you're saying is you have a BluRay Disc player BDP-80. I've heard if you update the software in that, you'll no longer be able to play watermarked DVDA.

<snip>
What you're saying is you have a BluRay Disc player BDP-80. I've heard if you update the software in that, you'll no longer be able to play watermarked DVDA.
Are you sure? Do you have a link or more info about that? AFAIK, even the latest released firmware does not enable watermark detection in the BDP-80. There's no mention over at AVS in the BDP-80 thread nor the surround sound subforum. Or were you refering to the 980h?

Back