How many titles from Dutton Vocalion?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to place an order from D-V. I'm mainly a rock guy (vintage country rock to thrash and everything in between) but these multi-release SACDs for bargain prices make me want to experiment with other genres. Can amy of you rockers recommend some titles that have you coming back for multiple listens?

I have yet to place an order from D-V. I'm mainly a rock guy (vintage country rock to thrash and everything in between) but these multi-release SACDs for bargain prices make me want to experiment with other genres. Can amy of you rockers recommend some titles that have you coming back for multiple listens?
The Return To Forever. The Earth Wind and Fire. Those are titles with really impressive 4.0 surround. Great music too. As a rock fan I had no problem with them in any way. They sound so good and the production of the music holds up today. I’m not so fond of all of DV’s picks for rock and pop releases. But these really thrill. The Poco gets a lot of nods for quality material and quad mix. Best of the Guess Who Vol. 2 is great imo. Love their later hits. So there’s a few recommendations

Worth considering Rick Derringer (two albums in 4.0) and Argent (In Deep is in 4.0 and the other two on the SACD are stereo). You may already know one of the Argent songs but by another famous band! And further from country rock perhaps you might try Carlos Santana & Alice Coltrane. By the way does vintage country rock include Poco - DV have a two album SACD? (Whoops, just realised that our friend quicksrt mentioned Poco before. Must learn to read everything posted first!)

Welcome to QQ, James

Here are a few suggestions for expanding your horizons:

Bachman Turner Overdrive 1 & 2
rockin' good Quad mix hits: Let it Ride & Takin' Care of Business

My Maria & Calabasas - BW Stevenson
Rock, Country & Folk combined for 2 great albums hit: My Maria

Mirror Image & New City - Blood, Sweat & Tears
great mix jazz rock band w/horn section Great covers of Ride Captain Ride & Got to Get You Into My Life. Nice Quad mixes.

Spirit & That's the Way of the World - Earth, Wind & Fire
soul. rock & jazz meet, large horn section great mix Hits: Getaway & Reasons

Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live & Booger Bear - Buddy Miles
Live album is a fantastic Quad mix w/some great songs & some cookin' jams
Hits: Them Changes & Evil Ways

Argent, Mott, Derringer & Nugent are more great rock titles.

There are great classical titles, many of which I bought. I'll leave those for another time...

I'm placing a new D-V order right now.

I only order from DV twice a year or 8 months from the prior order. But I get 6 to 8 discs per order.

Looking forward to the next batch or rock, pop, R&B, or some soul-jazz would be cool. Fusion that is essential sure.

I’d love to place a big order. Take my money DV, just keep going into rock titles, the harder the better, the stonier the better yet.

these are my absolute must have's of their Rock/Pop/Easy/R&B/Jazz/Fusion releases, so far

IMG_8026.jpeg

from top to bottom, L to R,

top : Hugo Montenegro "Hugo In Wonder-Land" (Stevie Wonder Tribute) & "Neil's Diamonds", Percy Faith "New Thing", Guess Who "#10" & "Road Food", Burton Cummings, Guess Who "Rockin'" & "Best Of Guess Who Volume 2", Tomita "Firebird", Tomita "Daphnis et Chloe", Earth Wind & Fire "Spirit" & "That's The Way Of The World".

2nd row : Hugo Montenegro "Others By Brothers" & "Scenes & Themes", Hugo Montenegro "Rocket Man" (Tribute to Elton John) & "Mammy Blue", Guess Who "Wheatfield Soul" & "Canned Wheat", Poco "Cantamos" & "Seven", Guess Who "American Woman" & "Share The Land", Henry Mancini "Symphonic Soul" & "Return Of The Pink Panther", Ted Nugent "Free-For-All", Billy Paul "360 Degrees Of.." & "War Of The Gods".

3rd row : George Benson "Body Talk", Herbie Hancock "Sextant", Chase "Pure Music" & "Chase", Johnnie Taylor "Ear'gasm" & "Rated EXtraordinaire", REO Speedwagon "Lost In A Dream" & "This Time We Mean It", Weather Report "Tale Spinnin'", Blood Sweat & Tears "Mirror Image" & "New City", Return To Forever "Musicmagic".

4th row : B.W. Stevenson "My Maria" & "Calabasas", The O'Jays "Survival" & "Family Reunion", Art Garfunkel "Angel Clare", Art Garfunkel "Breakaway", Argent "In Deep", Bachman Turner Overdrive "I" & "II", The Hues Corporation "Rockin' Soul" & "The Love Corporation", Rick Derringer "All American Boy" & "Spring Fever".

bottom row : Azteca, M.F.S.B. "Philadelphia Freedom", Airto "Fingers", Pure Prairie League "Two Lane Highway" & "If The Shoe Fits", Deodato "I" & "II", The Miracles "Love Crazy", Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes "Black & Blue" & "Wake Up Everybody", Tower Of Power "Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now".

..and when you've played that little lot to death (!) 🤣😋🥳 these also have some great Surround music on them ✌️

IMG_8027.jpeg

my personal picks of this lot would be the 2 Donald Byrd Quads "Black Byrd" & "Street Lady", Charlie Rich's "Behind Closed Doors" & "Every Time You Touch Me I Get High", the Mac Davis 5-fer (still can't believe they did this!! 🤯😍 ), Michel Legrand's "Twenty Songs Of The Century", The Raiders 2-fer, Buddy Miles Express & Buddy Miles with Santana, Don Sebesky's "Giant Box" and Grover Washington, Jr.'s "Soul Box". 💘🤩

Try a few classical titles while you’re experimenting. There are a number of aggressively mixed titles that appeal to (former) rock-only enthusiasts.

Back