How many titles from Dutton Vocalion?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a few classical titles while you’re experimenting. There are a number of aggressively mixed titles that appeal to (former) rock-only enthusiasts.
And that, AR, is an understatement. And the Charles Gerhardt film series, IMO, is likewise spectacular! Not to mention the original Broadway Cast albums which boast 4 corner sonics to die for!

Michael J. Dutton has given us such a cornucopia of treasures unimaginable in this day and age and he makes it look so easy ...... but the man has literally gone through piles of those 'ancient' 70's master tapes to secure some of the finest performances committed to disc and has managed to make them sound like what the original engineers heard in those recording studios only in 21st century SOTA sonics....and at almost 70's prices!

The man deserves a SPECIAL GRAMMY!

L'histoire du cinéma timeline | Timetoast timelines

GRAMMMEEE GRAMMMMEEEEEEE!
The sun shines East, the sun shines West but on the Wizard of Watford, the sun shines BEST!

Last edited:
And that, AR, is an understatement. And the Charles Gerhardt film series, IMO, is likewise spectacular! Not to mention the original Broadway Cast albums which boast 4 corner sonics to die for!

Michael J. Dutton has given us such a cornucopia of treasures unimaginable in this day and age and he makes it look so easy ...... but the man has literally gone through piles of those 'ancient' 70's master tapes to secure some of the finest performances committed to disc and has managed to make them sound like what the original engineers heard in those recording studios only in 21st century SOTA sonics....and at almost 70's prices!

The man deserves a SPECIAL GRAMMY!

And, he ain't done yet Ralph!

I wanted to extend my sincere thanks for those of you who obviously put real effort into making specific recommendations on where to start for D-V multichannel releases! It warmed my heart a bit knowing how much you guys really wanted to help.
you're extreeeeeeeeeeeeemely welcome!! 🤗

GOS' 1st Law of package crackage states that a DV order should be of an even number of titles to avoid package crackage in transit.. 🧐

so... i'm thinking your 1st DV order could comprise of Poco, Pure Prairie League, Ted Nugent, B.W. Stevenson, Rick Derringer, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Argent, Chase, REO Speedwagon & the 4 x Guess Who 2-fers for a Quad baker's dozen with a whopping 24 Quad albums in all..!! 🤯🤩💘

howzaboutdat then!!! 🥳💝✌️

GOS' 1st Law of package crackage states that a DV order should be of an even number of titles to avoid package crackage in transit.. 🧐

so... i'm thinking your 1st DV order could comprise of Poco, Pure Prairie League, Ted Nugent, B.W. Stevenson, Rick Derringer, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Argent, Chase, REO Speedwagon & the 4 x Guess Who 2-fers for a Quad baker's dozen with a whopping 24 Quad albums in all..!! 🤯🤩💘

fredblue, that is FANTASTIC! I'm now following you as you're clearly a "value added" participant! Have you found a sweet-spot number of items at D-V in terms of shipping costs to the US? Thanks so much again!!

fredblue, that is FANTASTIC! I'm now following you as you're clearly a "value added" participant! Have you found a sweet-spot number of items at D-V in terms of shipping costs to the US? Thanks so much again!!
oh! 🤩 thank you! 🙏 how marvelous!! 🥰 my sweet-spot is in the UK (i'm lucky to be only about an hour or so away from DV's HQ so i ordinarily get most of their new releases within a day or two) one of our Stateside brethren will ably assist you, i am sure! 💘😍

Great choices! I’d also second the recommendations for Deodato I&II, Grover Washington (double album) and the return to forever and Garfunkel Breakaway single albums

these are my absolute must have's of their Rock/Pop/Easy/R&B/Jazz/Fusion releases, so far

View attachment 90638

from top to bottom, L to R,

top : Hugo Montenegro "Hugo In Wonder-Land" (Stevie Wonder Tribute) & "Neil's Diamonds", Percy Faith "New Thing", Guess Who "#10" & "Road Food", Burton Cummings, Guess Who "Rockin'" & "Best Of Guess Who Volume 2", Tomita "Firebird", Tomita "Daphnis et Chloe", Earth Wind & Fire "Spirit" & "That's The Way Of The World".

2nd row : Hugo Montenegro "Others By Brothers" & "Scenes & Themes", Hugo Montenegro "Rocket Man" (Tribute to Elton John) & "Mammy Blue", Guess Who "Wheatfield Soul" & "Canned Wheat", Poco "Cantamos" & "Seven", Guess Who "American Woman" & "Share The Land", Henry Mancini "Symphonic Soul" & "Return Of The Pink Panther", Ted Nugent "Free-For-All", Billy Paul "360 Degrees Of.." & "War Of The Gods".

3rd row : George Benson "Body Talk", Herbie Hancock "Sextant", Chase "Pure Music" & "Chase", Johnnie Taylor "Ear'gasm" & "Rated EXtraordinaire", REO Speedwagon "Lost In A Dream" & "This Time We Mean It", Weather Report "Tale Spinnin'", Blood Sweat & Tears "Mirror Image" & "New City", Return To Forever "Musicmagic".

4th row : B.W. Stevenson "My Maria" & "Calabasas", The O'Jays "Survival" & "Family Reunion", Art Garfunkel "Angel Clare", Art Garfunkel "Breakaway", Argent "In Deep", Bachman Turner Overdrive "I" & "II", The Hues Corporation "Rockin' Soul" & "The Love Corporation", Rick Derringer "All American Boy" & "Spring Fever".

bottom row : Azteca, M.F.S.B. "Philadelphia Freedom", Airto "Fingers", Pure Prairie League "Two Lane Highway" & "If The Shoe Fits", Deodato "I" & "II", The Miracles "Love Crazy", Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes "Black & Blue" & "Wake Up Everybody", Tower Of Power "Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now".
I've got all those too.

..and when you've played that little lot to death (!) 🤣😋🥳 these also have some great Surround music on them ✌️

View attachment 90639

my personal picks of this lot would be the 2 Donald Byrd Quads "Black Byrd" & "Street Lady", Charlie Rich's "Behind Closed Doors" & "Every Time You Touch Me I Get High", the Mac Davis 5-fer (still can't believe they did this!! 🤯😍 ), Michel Legrand's "Twenty Songs Of The Century", The Raiders 2-fer, Buddy Miles Express & Buddy Miles with Santana, Don Sebesky's "Giant Box" and Grover Washington, Jr.'s "Soul Box". 💘🤩
I've got all those except for Michel Legrand.

32 and I luv em all. Rock, pop and easy listening quads. Lot of columbia stuff that was only available on SQ. Ya gotta get Hugo's stuff (neils diamonds stevie wonder and elton john quadraphonic instrumentals).

Movie sound tracks, R&B, classical, easy listening and so forth - that stuff don't interest me.

But the albums I do have are all top-notch!

I just counted, I have 91 multi-channel releases on my shelf that I've purchased over the years. Several of those contain more than 1 actual title (Mac Davis is 1 release, but has several titles)

Wow!

So now almost a year down the road, how many of those DV titles remain unopened, or opened but unplayed? I've still got at least a dozen unopened and probably three of the Kristofferson albums unplayed. And I've never gotten to most of the twofers where the second album was stereo only.

One of the problems with all of these surround releases that we've been blessed with is that a good bit of then are a 'one and done' listens. This is not because I don't like these titles, rather I have so much stuff that I actually forget what I have. :unsure: It's like, "Oh yeah, I gotta play that one again some day.'
It's a nice problem to have given that the (expletive deleted) purists were telling us not so long ago that surround sound was dead.

Back