Iggy in DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's so much substandard grey-area Stooges stuff around. I have a feeling this is more of the same, only remixed to surround. Hard to justify spending $30 for four DVD-A tracks of dubious provenance.

If someone does take the plunge, please report back. My wife is a major Iggy fan (and I have infinite patience), so if it turns out that this one passes the quality test, it might make a good Mother's Day gift.

peace,
yrd.

From Overstock.com

Description:
So just how much tape rolled while the Stooges were in England cutting Raw Power? No one knows for sure, but it seems like every couple of years somebody digs up more outtakes and/or rehearsal tapes from James Williamson`s tenure with the band, and sure enough the U.K. Easy Action label has issued this two-disc EP set featuring still more unreleased late-period Stooges stuff. This flyer for the label`s upcoming Heavy Liquid box set, however, at least unearths some quality material for a change. The first disc offers up an alternate take of "Hard to Beat," a scratchy rehearsal tape of "Head On" (though it`s a bit less grimy sounding than most of the Williamson archive material that circulates), and a new dub-wise mix of "I Got a Right." So far, nothing all that special, but it`s the second disc where things get really interesting. Disc two features four songs remixed in 5.1 Surround format on DVD, and while many rock dogs will tell you 5.1 is just a new way to sell us the quad system we didn`t want back in the 1970s, the audio quality of the material is pretty impressive, especially the two alternate takes of "I Got a Right" and a frantic tear through "Gimme Some Skin." For a change, these recordings appear to be first generation (or pretty close) and recorded in an actual studio, and if they don`t top anything that actually appeared on Raw Power, they sound like they could have legitimately been in the running at one point. Not an essential item, but at least obsessives won`t feel cheated buying Extended Play, which is a pleasant change. ~ Mark Deming

OK I took the plunge for $9.80 shipped from Amazon. One ecstatic review, one from a knob that doesn't know what dvd audio is plus the above quoted review from Romano. If its shit I'll give it to my buddy who's an Iggy fan.....

Thanks, sounds interesting, please post your thoughts after getting it.

Interesting short but not bad sound or mix.

Ill be filing nexct to my Pere Ubu DVDA as one to blow the dust of the speakers when I want a Pogo

I agree with rusinurbe. Similar recordings have been surfacing for years but this is better quality. Just got it last week. Great fun for that kind of mood. I've heard the box set from the same label and heads up on that one: poor-to-no quality mono cassette audience tapes with almost no audible vocals. Just so you know.

There's a Modern Dance in Mch? wow. I got in late to the party. Ordered now from Amazon UK. Thanks for the tip!

When I'm in the right mood I love to throw in Modern Dance and crank it up.

Modern Dance is superb...if you can track a copy down don't hesitate for a moment

OK guys, Just what is the name of the album? Or the inventory number? I am not familiar with the Stooges, but I gather that Iggy is the lead singer? I looked around and all I saw was one of those "From the Front Row Live" things that Silverline put out. That can't be what y'all are talking about, is it?

The Quadfather

Definately not a silverline. Mine came in but haven't got a chance to listen to it yet. Got a 2 year old punching all my computer keys so gotta go....

Oh man! y'all took out my line from the movie "Babe". It wasn't meant to be an insult. Anyway, I ordered it. We'll see how it goes.

The Quadfather

Well I got a chance to listen to this finally. 3 cd tracks, 4 DVD audio. Interesting that there is no dts or DD stream on the DVDA so who did they think would buy this? As for the music it is the Stooges, decent tunes and the sound quality is good. There is heavy center channel action on the DVDA and stuff going on in the rear speakers. Its just awfully short. As soon as you sit down to listen to it you have to get up and change the disc.
Reccomended if you're a Stooges fan or if you need a new affordable DVDA to listen to.

One of my favorite bands. Appreciate this was released, but so strange and unexpected. Sonics are surprisingly given the sketchy bootleg girth of Stooges material. I wish the producers of this EP would sound off on how it came to be. Worth picking up if your a Stooges fan...never though they would be in surround.

Mix/Sonics: 7
Music: 6.5

Back