I'm in heaven!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill114

I've been enjoying the Lafayette SQ-W that I got off ebay for a couple of weeks now and all I can say is WOW! While everything sounds great through it, there are some notable standouts (all on vinyl). SQ Jeff Beck Group Rough & Ready, SQ Dark Side (German pressing) , stereo Gregg Allman Laid Back, the list goes on... Now I have to keep on the lookout for more SQ lps sepecially Deep Purple Machine Head. One of the best things is that I scored the Lafayette for $112.49! I love this hobby!

Congrats! It's nice when you hear a decent decoder, especially if you are used to a crappy one!

I am with you guys I picked up a Sansui QRX 5500 locally for 60.00 like new except it did not have any sound output;I took it home and downloaded the service manual and found 4 blown fuses on the driver card ssshhhhaaaazam! I also got a pansonic 4 ch.cd-r turntable that is sweet and have been recording cd-4 lps patched through a MAudio 1010lt multichanel sound card using ACID and presto ....DVD-A SURROUND.

I have FOUND a connection secret for these things :2 amps(One;old/new and my Onkyo home theater amp w/ quad and stereo passive monitors, DBX passive Bass sub woofers, 13 speaKERs in all ,EQ,Sony SACD/DVD configuration/ARRAINGMENT (w/ a SIMPLE switcher) a hookup that came to me because I wanted to ??? can't tell you much except I can easily achieve any listening position from any kind of media I care to max out, TV,Movie,Audio 2/4 ch. or sim 4 ch matrix. Don't get me wrong this is half new stuff or new a 1000.00 / 2000g budget was a must over time....took about 6 months and alot of thinking:)Some 2 ch Home theatre stuff I had going strong from before .

I love this stuff if I only had some dedicated listening friends.....

Stay kewl guys this is fun stuff!!

The Jeff Beck (cd4)rough and ready A+
Outlaws (cd4)Lady in waiting, A+
Carli Simon HotCakes (CD4) Don't ask me why :)
James Gang "Newborn"
Jefferson Starship (cd4) Dragonfly A+
The Who Quad B+
Black Oak Arkansas Raunch and Roll (Cd4) A+(y)

Hey, I'm in heaven too! Arcam Alpha 8p amp number 3 arrived today. Got all of them hooked up - one for the fronts, one for the center, one for the rears. I'm using my NAD T-762 as my pre-amp. The 8p has a mono link so I can configure a single input to both outputs. This lets me bi-amp the center speaker. Bonus! The whole system sounds great. (Heaven..., I'm in heaven.)

That's crazy fun wavelenght:):)
You guys in Canada have all the good stuff.... reminds me of Ozark Mountain Daredevils s_it! God's country

stay kewl

We all need to get the Yes Fragile DVD A so we can really "have heaven" :sun

I will join you in sonic bliss in the shape of a modest setup ; Pioneer receiver VSX-AS2 S (Silver!) and 4 JBLs E80 Cherry and a Hartke Kickback 15" aluminum speaker (bass amp),

PLUS ;

A bunch of SQ LPs that I have been converting with Audition over the past year , some multich SACDs and DVD A's , plus a bunch of DVD movies/concerts (dang, King Crimson "Eyes wide open" FLOORS ME everytime I DARE play it!!!)...

AND
My loving Pioneer Laserdisc player with 50+ LD including Rush ESL, Macca's Wings RockShow, KC's Live in Japan 1984 (WITH "Discipline" and "Waiting Man") and on the non surround but not available on dvd side ; Looney tunes box sets 1-4 , Tom & Jerry's Boxes 1-2 and Tex Avery's Box set...

sigh, so little time, so much to watch and listen...

Duuuuuude!!!!Keep rockin' .......:smokin

In the low 50's here in Madrid....

I never brag about my setup, but I've gotta say... I'm in heaven :smokin

My trusty Pioneer DV-578A is hooked to an Axia Audio IP-Audio Network feeding an Axia 8x8 Analog Node, which sends line level outputs to five Genelec 8020A bi-amplified, self-powered speakers and matching sub. I've got to say, it sounds sublime, especially with "Rumours" or "Shangri-La"!

Hey Wilhelm:
You know that Deep Purple "Machine Head" is availlable in CD-4. While I have never heard an SQ version of DP through an SQ-W, (I understand it's a very good SQ decoder), It sounds great in CD-4. A good CD-4 setup beats SQ any day. I'm guessing by your name that you're German? It might be harder to find in CD-4 over there. Which ever version you find, it's pretty good.

The Quadfather

Yeah, my mom's German - I'm named after her father but I was born here and live in Florida. I know about the CD-4 version but since I've got the SQ setup I wanted to try to find one of those. They seem to be pretty rare though. There's one on ebay now but it's in Australia and I'd rather find one here in the USA to avoid the extra shipping $$. Other nice recordings I've found through the SQ-W:
ELP Works vol.1 the Greg Lake Side (LP), Al Stewart Year of the Cat (LP) For some reason the reply notification didn't work on your post...

Well, that just goes to show that you can't assume. I don't believe that the SQ version of Machine Head was ever issued in the U.S.. Warner Bros produced and they were into CD-4. I understand that it was issued in Europe in SQ, because CD-4 wasn't as popular there. (their misfortune) But there are plenty of SQ records availlable here, just not that one. You will probably have to import it. Enjoy your SQ-W, because when you get set up for CD-4, you will find yourself listening less and less to SQ. I have an Audionics Space and Image Composer, and I still prefer CD-4. It's just better. It's not that expensive to get set up for CD-4 either. The demodulators (JVC 4DD5) can be obtained cheaply, and a cartridge that will sufficiently do the job can be had for under $150.00 (AT440MLa) I can only imagine the sonic delights I will experience when Lou Dorren builds me his modern demodulator, with even better separation. I can hardly wait.

The Quadfather

Back