INVOLVE SQ - IS COMING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, any price for UK users buying a new one? Is the shipping of new units really 18 AU$ to anywhere in the world?

Are the prices you've been quoting US or AU dollars? Not at all clear to a non native of both countries like myself.

Dear All

My stuff up this morning has really created an unintentional s#%t storm!

here goes to clarify:

My offer on post 40 of the "ordering thread " was:

One point is that the price would be $395 + $100 (SQ development payback charge) - $50 (QQ discount) + $18 = $463

This applied to QQ members who pre ordered a SQ Surround master - ALL COSTS ARE IN US$. The $50 discount period has expired.

So that purchase would have enjoyed the $18 world wide delivery fee. That delivery fee was heavily subsidized by us to unify a world price. When I asked our dispatch people what our ACTUAL cost was they gave a few examples but typically $65 to middle USA!!! This left us with the problem of what we can do for units to have the software update.....we cannot afford to do a two way transport subsidy.

Please be assured we get no money from the transport, we just subsidized the initial purchase.

Our offer to QQ members who want an existing SM converted to a SQ/ QS unit remains the same.....no programming charge, R+D charge $100 applies, owner pays transport. We are very open to QQ members suggestions is anyone has a cheaper quote for transport but as its a TWO way trip an average to USA would be say $130 ish total. Costs to UK, NZ, Afghanistan, Swaziland would differ and require individual estimate. In a word HELP!

This is why I offered option 3 this morning of:
If you are OK with soldering surface mount electronics we will send you via certified post pack mail the SQ 8 pin chip, front panel SQ sticker and instructions. SMT electronics is actually easier to work with if you have a steady hand and a magnifying glass. If you are not able your corner DVD repair guy could do it cheaply. We can post the complete thing for $30. This is also the quickest approach.

Does this clarify? We have not changed our terms in anyway - to my knowledge. This is a messy process as we never intended to develop a SQ decoder, it was only because of QQ pressure we developed it after many members made their initial purchase.

Regards

Chucky

Regards

I hate to be contrary. Please don't send my Surround master to Papua New Guinea in spite. But it seems that in the past, for those people that bought into the original Surround master, you offered the software update free. It seemed like the only people that were to pay the $100 development fee were those people who opted to order the SQ version and wait, like me. You stated that people who wanted to upgrade to SQ would only have to pay for shipping. If this is not what you meant, it sure seemed like it. Here is a post where you said the upgrade would be free to early adopters of the original unit. I think you said it multiple times, but this was the first I could find in a quick search:

Hi Bigbillquad

The special offer is good till March 15. Please note that the cost of the QS/SQ version will be $495. We have an ongoing offer to do a FREE update of software as it becomes available (this includes the SQ when available) our send post cost is $18 - you organize getting it to us. HINT- this is cheaper plus you get to use it now!

Regards

chucky

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nd-ordering-Thread&highlight=involve+ordering

I have no idea about shipping from Australia, but our company ships a lot of small packages from the US to around the world. If someone will give me the weight and package dimensions I can check out the various shipping options from the US to Australia. I hope no one sending a unit back is going to be hit with an import duty on that end -- can that be avoided?

Anxious to hear some member reviews of what the Involve SQ unit sounds like -- waiting with credit card in hand!

Mark Z

Hi All

Sorry, you guys are right I (Actually David)was wrong. MEMBERS WHO PURCHASED THE SM PRIOR TO THE SQ VERSION GET THE UPGRADE TO SQ WITH NO R+D SURCHARGE.

SENILITY HAS GOT TO ME.

Transport is still an issue, I do not think import duties applies for "repairs"

Regards

Chucky

I hate to be contrary. Please don't send my Surround master to Papua New Guinea in spite. But it seems that in the past, for those people that bought into the original Surround master, you offered the software update free. It seemed like the only people that were to pay the $100 development fee were those people who opted to order the SQ version and wait, like me. You stated that people who wanted to upgrade to SQ would only have to pay for shipping. If this is not what you meant, it sure seemed like it. Here is a post where you said the upgrade would be free to early adopters of the original unit. I think you said it multiple times, but this was the first I could find in a quick search:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nd-ordering-Thread&highlight=involve+ordering

Maybe, maybe it would be a good idea to put a socket for the chip instead of soldering it directly.

;)

Socketing surface mount devices is rare. It doesn't suit modern automated production lines, plus the socket is an additional cost and a source of faults if it doesn't make reliable connection to the chip.

A much better question I feel is why the Surround Master is not field updateable over USB or a serial port.

Pardon me while my head stops spinning! :mad:@:

So, I will send mine back on my own shipping dime, and then you guys can charge whatever the remainder of shipping and dev cost (if applicable) to my credit card. Right?

Hello all!

Ok, so a clarification for once and for all thingamy.

************************************************************************************************************

If you purchased the original Involve version and wish to change the programming from TSS 2 channel mode to SQ, you have 3 options.

1. Me. Business class at your expense, and I'll even wear a french maid outfit.

2. Send it back to us, we reprogram and send it back to you. Shipping is at your expense, that way you can pay as little or as much as you like depending on your level of patience.
I suggest you could either pay for a round trip (some courier setups will let you) and include the return shipping docket in the box, or else pay for one way and we invoice you for the return cost.

NOTE: This should be marked as faulty goods or repair goods, that way you should avoid customs.

3. We send you a pre-programmed 8 pin SMT Eeprom and diagrams of where to put it, and you replace it yourself or get your good soldering friend to do it. Price $30.

NOTE: We deliberately didn't socket it because it would be too easy to screw with the warranty. Also, smt.

************************************************************************************************************

As for USB/serial - same deal, the original surround master wasn't designed as an enthusiast device, more a consumer device, and in order to keep the SQ version at an acceptable price we re-used the pcb and casing from it.

Oh, and
4. Your other option is to buy a secondary unit, which we like, but isn't cost effective :)

Charlie is rocking quietly in the corner at the moment, sucking his thumb and weeping (mumbling something about dykes in Holland) so I'll field any further questions for now.
Oh, the SQ front stickers are here. So, you know, progress :)

~David.

Thank you very much for clearing this all up. I am happy to have been one of the early adopters of the Surround Master (and already love it as is). I am very excited to be getting mine re-programmed for SQ. Now I just have to figure out how to get the sucker to you.

Great work fellas!:phones

So, it seems that the SQ surround masters will be with us very soon. In light of this, I would like to pose a question to everyone who bought one, is upgrding or plans on buying one.

What will be the first SQ album you will put on once this is hooked up?

What other albums are in the definte first rounds of testing/listening?

So, it seems that the SQ surround masters will be with us very soon. In light of this, I would like to pose a question to everyone who bought one, is upgrding or plans on buying one.

What will be the first SQ album you will put on once this is hooked up?

What other albums are in the definte first rounds of testing/listening?

I have limited SQ encoded albums - but I do have a NZ pressing of Dark Side of the Moon... It will be great to compare that to the discrete quad...

The 96/24 SQ encoded PCM on the Barclay James Harvest will be interesting... I'll be able to compare that to certain software based methods - :eek:

Seems that DSOTM is a popular choice. I had a feeling that would be the case. My copy is sitting ready for the SM too. I also can't wait to spin the three Aerosmith Quads.

I'm going to try something with little separation, maybe John Lennon's "Imagine", and see what it can lift out.

Greetings All, I will play the famous first cut from CHASE....I will laugh or cry....then I will play the Don Ellis album TEARS OF JOY.....then THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY THE EIGHTH....then THERE GOES RHYMIN SIMON......depending upon the results, I will either spend many hours going through my SQ collection, or I will thank Chucky for the original SM......How fortunate are we?
Dwight

I wish I had the 1st self titled in SQ.... Someday

Back