INVOLVE SQ - IS COMING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to see a comparison against the 4 track discrete on the Immersion boxset bluray, as well as with the TATE.

Which Three Dog Night did you pick up? I have Hard Labor.

Question for rustyandi:

Assuming that the Discrete versions of DSOTM are "10" on a 1-10 scale.

How would You rank the SQ version on the surround master?

How would you rank the SQ version on the Tate?

We are looking after our Grandson he has a cold
And you know how much an 8 year old milks it
But on the weekend I will do a test and let you know

Ron

I just had a thought talking about Discrete
The fact that you can make a channel 100 pc Discrete
does not always sound the best
I have the early Enoch Light R/R Quad tapes
some have the channels so Discrete that they seem like 4 Ch. mono
If you have a solo in a channel I feel that there should be a blend or echo in another

Do others have a view?

Ron

If you have a solo in a channel I feel that there should be a blend or echo in another

Do others have a view?

Ron

That's the choice of the people that made the recording in my view. The purpose of our equipment is to play the recording back exactly as the people that made it intended, or at least as close as is possible given budgets, room acoustics etc. This may mean I don't like some recordings, but I'd rather do that than mess around with someone else's work that they may have a lot of pride in.

That's the choice of the people that made the recording in my view. The purpose of our equipment is to play the recording back exactly as the people that made it intended, or at least as close as is possible given budgets, room acoustics etc. This may mean I don't like some recordings, but I'd rather do that than mess around with someone else's work that they may have a lot of pride in.

I'd love to sit an engineer or two down with his or her surround mix and get some opinions on an a/b comparison.

So, it seems that the SQ surround masters will be with us very soon. In light of this, I would like to pose a question to everyone who bought one, is upgrding or plans on buying one.

What will be the first SQ album you will put on once this is hooked up?

What other albums are in the definte first rounds of testing/listening?

In addition to SQ material, you may want to get the HD Tracks edition of Synergy's "Electronic Realizations".
Apparently the 24/96 download is the QS encoded version. One of the top QS encoded albums back in the '70s.
Should be a good test of the Surround Master's decoding abilities.

See https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD704761100121 for the info from HD Tracks
and an Video Interview of Larry Fast at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecB4cGzJBq4

Hi RSilverman

We would need to get a quote on the eyeballs separately (refrigeration costs) but I am informed that we have a universal $18 transport charge to any where in the world for the purchase of any Surround Master (cost is say $65 on us actually). This does not apply to updates etc. The SQ purchase web page adds the $18 onto the charge.

Regards

Chucky

"But I want it now...." How much to have it courriered to me in Los Angeles along with some human eyeballs?

In addition to SQ material, you may want to get the HD Tracks edition of Synergy's "Electronic Realizations".
Apparently the 24/96 download is the QS encoded version. One of the top QS encoded albums back in the '70s.
Should be a good test of the Surround Master's decoding abilities.

See https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD704761100121 for the info from HD Tracks
and an Video Interview of Larry Fast at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecB4cGzJBq4

I have that!! There is a 24/192 download also...

Works a treat!!

rustyandi said:

Do others have a view?

Ron

I think there's two ways to use the word discrete, the first way is like that enoch light R2R, to decribe the degree of something or multiple things in the mix being confined to one particular speaker.

The other way to look at discrete is proper mix placement regardless if the mix has extreme seperation or not. A discrete recording will have the degree of seperation intended by the engineer.

That's probably why seperation figures for decoders from the audio companies were skewed. Sure the one channel is 20db different than the other, but does it sound right?

Which Three Dog Night did you pick up? I have Hard Labor.

It appears to be "Coming Down Your Way" from the number on the sleeve. It's in a cardboard sleeve with no printing. There's a handwritten note from "Joe" on it saying something like, "here's a test pressing. It's quad, but it'll have to do." If I think of it, I'll snap a photo and share this weekend sometime. I've bee at the office since 6:30 this morning and it's going on 11:30 and I'm still here. My time isn't my own anymore.

RSilverman said:
It appears to be "Coming Down Your Way" from the number on the sleeve. It's in a cardboard sleeve with no printing. There's a handwritten note from "Joe" on it saying something like, "here's a test pressing. It's quad, but it'll have to do."

That's awesome

Hi All

I lied when I said that we would have some more vectorscope comparisons tonight. Nathan got distracted and I am informed will be too drunk over the weekend, should have them by Monday night.

Regards

Chucky

Hi All

I lied when I said that we would have some more vectorscope comparisons tonight. Nathan got distracted and I am informed will be too drunk over the weekend, should have them by Monday night.

Regards

Chucky

Cue Cards with generic questions were written up by Roger and given to roadies, anyone at Abbey Road, doormen, and members of Wings including Paul and Linda McCartney. Approximately 20 questions were asked along the lines of, "Are you afraid of dying?". "When was the last time you were violent and were you in the right?", and "What does the phrase 'The Dark Side of the Moon' mean to you?". The most spontaneous answers to these questions appeared on the album. Paul and Linda didn't make the cut but Wings' guitarist Henry McColluch did providing the "I don't know I was really drunk at the time" response to the question regarding violent behaviour used at the fade out of Money.

chucky3042 said:
Hi All

I had a fun session with "Rustyandi" yesterday in his "man cave" where we did a bundle of vectorscope video's of the SQ Surround Master. Unfortunately Nathan was on other missions and could not attend with his multi thousand dollar whiz bang Cannon camera, instead I used my HTC ONE SV phone camera taped to a camera stand. So I apologise for the blurred, grainy image complete with a "glare" X mark......please ignore it and look at the actual picture.

The first set of vectorscope video's is the classic pink floyd DSOTM - Money track/ vinyl/ SQ. We compare the Surround Master with the Tate decoder. The most obvious observation I can see is on the last cash register Cha ching the Surround Master places it clearly left rear whereas the Tate places it in the center of the room (slightly forward). From the discrete Parsons version it was intended to be left rear I can only assume this was how it was intended to be recorded in the SQ version.

Additionally I observe more loops on more complicated passages. This is the result of the tri band decoding where the Surround Master can steer different frequency bands into different directions where the Tate is limited to one direction.

Tomorrow I hope to post 2 more comparisons

please follow this link:

https://vimeo.com/71959530

Regards

Chucky

That is looking pretty good. I wish it were on youtube so I could repetitively watch it on my phone, but the copyright police would probably complain.

Charlie
Do you know that there is an
Audio Show on in Melbourne in a few weeks?

Hi Ron

Yep, but we are not ready with our more complete product range yet. You need to be careful with show's, the only ones that always profit are the show organizers and a lot of shows are full of "tyre kickers". Having said that we probably will do CES next year.

Regards

Chucky

Charlie
Do you know that there is an
Audio Show on in Melbourne in a few weeks?

Last edited:
Hi Ron

Yep, but we are not ready with our more complete product range yet. You need to be careful with show's, the only ones that always profit are the show organizers and a lot of shows are full of "tyre kickers". Having said that we probably will do CES next year.

Regards

Chucky

Speaking of pricey shows, CES would be right up there.

You might want to look at some of the Home Theater/Hi-Fi shows that are being held these days. Likely much cheaper than CES - and in some cases they even let you sell your products to the attendees !

Reading through this, the SQ and QS decoding then has Involve(tm) DSP post processing applied. I'd rather have just the original quad decoding algorithm as intended applied and nothing else. Is it possible to turn off the Involve processing?

Back