INVOLVE SQ - IS COMING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Owen

The "original" QS and SQ decoding algorithms are just the raw decode matrix equations that result in:

For QS 3 dB separation between front / back and left/ right and theoretical infinite separation across diagonals.

For SQ Theoretical infinite separation left/ right but only 3 dB front / back

Basically just as the original non logic decoders were. I think it is universally agreed that these decoders were very inadequate and just created a blurred image. Later - particularly with SQ "gain riding logic" decoders were added to the basic SQ decode matrix to enhance separation to say 20 db all round. The massive downside of these decoders were pumping and surging sounds with shifting images. Sansui were much more successful with there post matrix "vario matrix" processing. In the case of QS because it is a much more circular balanced matrix pumping was easier to reduce.

In the recent development of our version of SQ logic decoding we trialled early version based on the known works of several prior logic decoders - without our Involve processing and the result was really bad pump/ surging problems. The problems were so bad that David at one stage was at a loss of how to fix the problem. I then listened to the decoded output and simply told David to now add the Involve processing which he did resulting in an absence of surging and pumping. In all the intense work David had done he actually forgot about how well Involve processing hides the pumping!

Involve in no way effects the decode logic of either the SQ or QS matrix logic decode techniques but it does greatly effect the manner of how the "steering constants" are applied. Involve "listens" to the music in the same way your brain perceives the music and applies the logic steering factors in a manner that is undetectable to the listener. In addition Involve picks directional clues with the same "biases" that your brain has evolved (or intelligently designed for you religious nutters) to perceive.

I know most HiFi purist insist human hearing is super sensitive and can undoubtedly detect amplifier distortion to 0.00001% but in reality is actually easily fooled - it is these cracks that Involve utilises.

Yes it is possible to give you just the "pure" SQ/ QS decoder but the result will be vastly inferior (actually not listenable in my opinion). The intent of all logic decoders is to somehow enhance the basic decode matrix - any thing outside the basic (3 dB) decode matrix is impure and subject to the "tricks" of the decode logic. Its all dependent on how well it is applied.

Please review the "
Reality Teck Involve Decoder - proper QS decoding? - test results " thread and you will see we actually out perform the legendary Sansui QSD -1.

There is my bias showing again - forgive me its Sunday night.

Regards

Chucky

Reading through this, the SQ and QS decoding then has Involve(tm) DSP post processing applied. I'd rather have just the original quad decoding algorithm as intended applied and nothing else. Is it possible to turn off the Involve processing?

Reading through this, the SQ and QS decoding then has Involve(tm) DSP post processing applied. I'd rather have just the original quad decoding algorithm as intended applied and nothing else. Is it possible to turn off the Involve processing?

Hi Owen ,
just to reinforce Chucky's comments, if you visit http://www.4channelsound.com/logic.htm you will see vectorscope representations of many vintage decoders. These dramatically illustrate how remarkably poor a 'raw algorithm' decoder actually performs (to the extent that the whole quad enterprise of the 1970's was nearly stillborn).

Last edited:
Yes!!! Great news!!! E-mail advice today (thanks guys) that my SQSM is on its long journey to the UK (DHL tracker shows its still in Melbourne actually, but I'll be keeping a close eye on its progress around the world!)

Sorry if I'm losing track of things, but what's the course of action for those of us with the original units?

Is there a RMA situation? What do we need to send back? (The PS and all or just the box?)

What is the proper shipping info, and cost verification along with which units were "official" pre-orders and which were not.

Confused minds want to know! :)

Sorry if I'm losing track of things, but what's the course of action for those of us with the original units?

Is there a RMA situation? What do we need to send back? (The PS and all or just the box?)

What is the proper shipping info, and cost verification along with which units were "official" pre-orders and which were not.

Confused minds want to know! :)

Heya Jon

I did a clarifying post here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...E-SQ-IS-COMING&p=186089&viewfull=1#post186089

To clarify further:

If you want to send it back for the upgrade, just let us know at [email protected], we'll give you an RMA number, beyond that follow the post - you don't need to send everything back, but I'd recommend at least using the original box if it's at all possible to keep it safe on the journey, it's quite a sturdy box. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by official pre-orders...?

~David

I thought there was a price differential for the upgrade for the units that were pre-ordered.

I can't remember if mine was a pre-order or a regular order. Not important, as I'm sure you'll all figure it out in the long run! :)

I thought there was a price differential for the upgrade for the units that were pre-ordered.

I can't remember if mine was a pre-order or a regular order. Not important, as I'm sure you'll all figure it out in the long run! :)

Ah, no it was a confusing point between Charlie and myself, basically anyone in here who bought the original unit in preference to waiting is eligible for the sq software change for the cost of shipping.

Ah, no it was a confusing point between Charlie and myself, basically anyone in here who bought the original unit in preference to waiting is eligible for the sq software change for the cost of shipping.

Thanks! email on the way

Hi rustyandi

Nathan has got distracted, I will stir him up tomorrow......oops.

Regards

Chucky

QUOTE=rustyandi;187068]Charlie
Where is the other
Scope decoding shots?[/QUOTE]

Has anyone else had trouble with tracking shipping? The tracking ID I was given doesn't yield any information. The status says "Product not trackable"

Does that mean you got a notice that it shipped? Cause I haven't yet

Does that mean you got a notice that it shipped? Cause I haven't yet

I received the following on August 11. My address is slightly wrong.

Dear Rich Silverman,

All of the items from order #1026 have now been shipped:

1x Surround Master SQ Edition

They are being shipped via Australia Post to the following address:

Rich Silverman
950 1/5 N. Martel Ave.

LOS ANGELES, California 90046
United States

The tracking number for these items is RS001154935AU. You can see the status of this shipment at the following URL:

http://auspost.com.au/track/track.html?id=RS001154935AU

Please allow some time for the status of the shipment to correctly display at the above address.

Thank you for ordering from Involve Audio!

Mine was shipped 12/8/13 via TNT. Dispatch advice e-mails were received both from Involve and TNT, it was tracked en-route, and took all of two days to reach the UK!(y)

I emailed support at Involve yesterday but no one got back to me about the non-working tracking number.

Hey there. Sorry about that, I'm not sure why the support email didn't come to me, I'll look at it now. What was the email address you sent it to? Or was it done through the contact form?

~David

Hey there. Sorry about that, I'm not sure why the support email didn't come to me, I'll look at it now. What was the email address you sent it to? Or was it done through the contact form?
Meanwhile, I'll check the tracking - it's a registered post number, because of the large number of parcels going out this week they went with registered instead of courier I believe, but as I understood it, it was still trackable.

~David

I sent it to [email protected].

The shipping address is slightly wrong, too, but it should still find its way to me. I'm 1/4 N. Martel and not 1/5. Maybe it's my error when I signed up - I don't know.

I sent it to [email protected].

The shipping address is slightly wrong, too, but it should still find its way to me. I'm 1/4 N. Martel and not 1/5. Maybe it's my error when I signed up - I don't know.

Hey there Rich,

I'm sending you a private message with the details of your address from the website,

As for the tracking - the shipping department had two options for sending these out, same price and same delivery time, but either
a) Trackable but no signature required at the receiver end, or
b) Not trackable, but signature required for security.

They opted for the secure version so that it couldn't simply be left on the door step if there was no-one home, since there would be no way to prove it had been delivered.
Long story short, delivery time is still 3-10 days, but without tracking. We will know when it is delivered, or if there's a problem.

In light of this, do you think the parcel will still make its way to you, or should I contact the shipping group w.r.t. changing the destination address?

Last edited:
Back