Music DVD Poll Jethro Tull - Live At Madison Square Garden 1978

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not seen/heard it yet, but here's a review or two. :D
Considering that the master tapes have hung around for 31 years, the audio CD is crystal clear highlighting a band which is performing at the very pinnacle of their abilities.

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cd&action=display&thread=631&page=2

The sound is presented in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, and like the visuals, is also impeccable. Absent however are video from a few songs, but Virgin/EMI were courteous enough to include this material on the disc.
http://www.imagineechoes.com/2009/11/jethro-tull-live-at-madison-square.html

I have it. It is essential for Tull fans (y), but disappointing for surround fans (n). It is audience in the rears surround for the most part.

- Ben

The big picture: DVD, CD, & back cover.

5.1 & stereo mixes by Peter Mew at Abbey Road.

Attachments

• Jethro Tull Madison Square Garden 1978 DVD.jpg
    Jethro Tull Madison Square Garden 1978 DVD.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 313
  • Jethro Tull Madison Square Garden 1978 CD.jpg
    Jethro Tull Madison Square Garden 1978 CD.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 308
  • Jethro Tull Madison Square Garden 1978 back.jpg
    Jethro Tull Madison Square Garden 1978 back.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 308
Listened to it a couple of times, the video quality is OK - the interviews blend well.
Sound is passable, token 5.1, certainly not a threat to the Dark Side of the Moon

With all the talk of Benefit DTS (which I have been listening to myself -excellent) I decided to pull this out for a viewing and a listen. It's excellent. Certainly Tull at their best and a time in the band's repertoire that is my favourite..
If you are a Tull fan, it's a must have.

Is it no DTS?

I am actually a fan of "audience and ambience only in rear" mixing for concerts.

WOW. I hate audience only. Most don't even have that. I have a bunch of Blu Ray concerts with NOTHING in rears even though they are supposed to be 5.1 BORING!

Oh ...So then did this Concert get a remix ?
Anderson is hardly done following his muse just yet. Not only did he confirm with me that he just approved the mixes Steven Wilson has done for an upcoming expanded edition of September 1978’s 2LP Bursting Out live set (which he sees as the companion piece to the 2009-released Live at Madison Square Garden 1978 collection), Mike Mettler

Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson Tells the Spiritual Tale of The Band’s New Album RökFlöte, and Further Decrees the Importance of Letting Things Breathe on Vinyl

Mind Over Matter: Above, the nonsecular musical ideas just keep on coming for Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.
[IMG]
www.analogplanet.com

seen these guys live at the Maple Leaf Gardens in 1973.....awesome show...
At 17: I was there too.

Not my ticket, six bucks...:cool:
s-l1600.jpg

:)
30/5/73Maple Leaf GardensToronto, Canada
Audience: 19,000.
A review says the sound accompanying the 'Hare' film broke down, and Tull briefly played along live, then abandoned it. Does this mean 'The Hare' was performed truly live?
http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/setlist/73.htm

Last edited:
Mew gone. The scrolls are gone, the scrolls are gone too.
images

Nicely presented clue:>)
:p Monday fun-day.

Back