Joe Walsh So What

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unusual for RCA to press this disc in QS since RCA was strictly CD~4 discrete...unless it was only in Canada!
ABC/Dunhill were pressed by RCA in Canada, before that by Polydor. IMHO they sounded better than their US counterparts. The thin Dynaflex vinyl didn't hurt the sound at all. Some ABC/Dunhill LPs released in Canada even carried RCA labels. My copy of Steppenwolf 7 for one.

BB KING had albums in QS on ABC/Dunhill,

Here's one.

View attachment 88638View attachment 88639View attachment 88640

And I think L.A. Midnight as well.
That B.B.King album is very interesting for a couple of reasons. First it is not marked as quad and so would have been single inventory. That is what I was expecting from all the record companies back in 1972. I always looked for signs of quadieness! I was even (erroneously) thinking that perhaps the prefix ABCX referred to quad as previously stereo albums were ABCS.

Checking Discogs shows a quad version from Germany, but it appears to be the very same as the German version listed as stereo. The only reference to quad is on the cover which is the same for all releases. Only the Japanese have a version that is actually labeled as quad. The catalog numbers appear to be the same whether listed as quad or as stereo.

There is a Q8 tape as well. There is also a stereo eight track tape which must also be QS encoded!

To follow up some on this, if you look carefully at the insert pic for ‘Falling Down’ it states it’s from the Dunhill – DSD-50171 album which were all stereo IINM; just a reference but no evidence of a separate Quad album (Command Quadraphonic.) Also IIRC, there’s a section of the song ending left off of this version.
That is because the QS never got released. It was announced multiple times in multiple sources and it even had a Command Quadraphonic catalogue number. I have no doubt that the album was done. The big question is why did it not get released? It was at the top of my want list in Quad Quarterly/MCS Review for years. Most of us were optimists back then hoping that copies would eventually surface.

Back