John from Rhino.com here - THANK YOU, QUADRAPHONIC QUAD FORUM!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John

Please add my thanks & continued support (with money ;)) to those already here. I've been a quad & surround music fan since 1972, and it's fantastic that a label like Rhino is catering to this market. Keep it up, please!

Welcome, John. And a zillion thanks to you and all guys and gals at Rhino for making this happen. It's fantastic that we can join forces for such a good cause. Keep'em coming, we're ready for just as much as you can pull out :D

Thanks John, I really enjoyed the CTA disc, looking forward to the next one. I'd pre-order today if I could. Here are my picks for the next title, based on Mark Anderson's list of completed but not released quad titles. I don't know record company affiliations, so I didn't take into account what label each title was on.

1. Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
2. Black Sabbath - Sabotage
3. Yes - Close to the Edge
4. Pink Floyd - Animals
5. Captain Beefheart - Unconditionally Guaranteed
6. Bob Marley - Natty Dread
7. John Lennon - Mind Games
8. Jimi Hendrix - Crash Landing
9. ELP - Welcome Back My Friends
10. Gregg Allman - Laid Back

I'm not greedy, I can live with these 10 titles.

Thank you John - I don't have any guesses but am *very* excited to hear about this and will be part of the preorder. Have a great July 4th weekend!!!

Hi John, nice to see you here, and thank you for the good work! :)

I am just really, really hoping for a straight, non-limited, non-NR:d, minimal-EQ:d conversion of Close to the Edge. Then I can die in peace.
Almen, amen.
John, I'd like anything if you can bring more.

What a great feeling it is to spend the holiday weekend in anticipation of a new release. Many thanks, Mr. Hughes!

This came out as a quad 8-track only release and it did deserve a regular release, since most copies of Tape2 are flutter hell.

hello john. Its great news to here of more quadio releases and I'm sure that most here will buy them all. I know I will.
Can you make some statement as to why, if these are not bluray discs, a DVD audio layer can not be included? does it really impact the cost of the release? for those of us with factory installed dvd-a systems in our cars, its hard to understand why making these discs dvda compatible along with the DTS DVD track cant be done. thanx

Really happy to see Rhino is paying attention to it's customers wants and know they can benifit from producing this special type of disc. I'll be ordering mine! Keep up the good work!!

Hi all, John Hughes from Rhino.com here.

I just wanted to jump in and introduce myself for a few reasons:

1. To thank each and every one of you for the tremendous support you've shown for Chicago Transit Authority Quad. It's been overwhelming and appreciated.
  2. To let you know that we are most definitely listening to you, our customers. We read each email, listen to every voicemail, read the boards and what you say and how you react definitely tells us which way to go. Thanks for being so vocal with your support and suggestions and keep them coming.
  3. And last, but certainly not least, to give you guys here an exclusive scoop for being so supportive. We will be announcing the next Quadio release and taking pre-orders starting Tuesday afternoon, July 6th (that's PST time). How's that for a nice way to head into the 4th of July weekend?

Again, thank you so much for helping make this release a success - here's to many more! Make sure you check out Rhino.com Tuesday afternoon (give us until after noon PST to get everything lined up!) for the latest and greatest Quadio release!

Mr. Urban, thanks for letting me use your forum to thank everyone and if you wish to confirm my ID, etc, just shoot me an email at the address in my member profile.

Let the fun and speculation begin!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

John,
Welcome to the forum and thanks to everyone at Rhino for keeping quad alive. There was a recent long discussion here on the forum with a person from the record industry giving his explanation of why SACD and DVD-A died. His bottom line was, no one cared. He feels that today's music buying public are far more interested in mp3 downloads of singles than hi-rez surround music. And for that reason, the major record labels have zero interest in continuing to release surround music. I can understand that logic, but the question it brought up was, what about a company like Rhino? Hopefully, they are turning a profit with these types of releases. From your companies standpoint, would you say that continued quadraphonic releases would be a profitable venture for your company? Obviously there must be some level of success or you would not be releasing another title, but I was just wondering why it works for Rhino when other companies have totally abandoned the surround sound music concept? Thanks for being here and we look forward to your continued feedback.

Hi John...
Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around. Thanks to everyone at Rhino (and Handmade) for giving me a place to spend my hard earned money!!! Rhino has, over the years, continued to both please and surprise me with many titles I thought I would never find again. Keep up the great work and thanks for bringing Quad back to life! You put it out and I will buy it - guaranteed.

but I was just wondering why it works for Rhino when other companies have totally abandoned the surround sound music concept?
It would be very interesting to hear John's answer to that but the explanation that was already put forward is that these quad mixes are already completed. Brand new surround mixes are quite expensive to make.

I'm with Odys, great list -- but most especially his #1 choice!! Lawd, I'd about kill for OSFA in quad...

1. Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
2. Black Sabbath - Sabotage
3. Yes - Close to the Edge
4. Pink Floyd - Animals
5. Captain Beefheart - Unconditionally Guaranteed
6. Bob Marley - Natty Dread
7. John Lennon - Mind Games
8. Jimi Hendrix - Crash Landing
10. Gregg Allman - Laid Back

CTA isn't my favorite album by a long shot, but the mix is excellent and I'm thrilled that Rhino is interested enough to address this market. You can count on me buying the second release...

Mark Z

By the way, making the announcement on Tuesday afternoon? This isn't a hint of a Moody Blues release?

It would not make any sense to re-release Moody Blues DOFP, which has been out nowadays as mch SACD. Well, if after 40 years someone has been able to locate the multitrack tapes of "Search..." it will be a different story...
A hint could be the "4th of July", which lead to Chicago "Saturday in the park", and since Chicago V was already out as DVD-A it may hint to Chicago Greatest Hits, which had been prepped long time ago for dvd-a release and never went out.

Wow. Great forum. Just ordered yesterday based on mention in Home Theater. Thanks for the pointer Steve.

Wouldn't it be funny if Rhino were to continue the Quad releases, but make they're new Logo for the Quad's a Happy Rhinoceros with four ears? I'm probably not going to sleep until Tuesday. I'm excited! I vote to keep them DVD-A..... I can play those anywhere! (home, car, other peoples' PC's for demonstration purposes)

Can we have a hint?

All we know so far is that it hasn't been released in a modern format before! The hint for the Chicago Quad release was amusing and sparked TONS of speculation here the first time around.

eggplant, I don't think any of the titles you list are currently Warner possibilities without licensing from another company

Seeing as how Chicago used to be CBS but is now Warner, I just figgered maybe other CBS titles were possible.
I'm not sure who owns what anymore. Is there a master list somewhere?

But okay. Plenty of huge Warner hits that were never released on anything but awful CD-4 pressings and Q8s, as well as a few that never saw the light of day.
To wit:

Eagles -- Eagles (unreleased)
Eagles -- Desperado (unreleased)
Eagles -- On the Border
Eagles -- One of These Nights
Joni Mitchell -- Court and Spark
Jethro Tull -- MU: Best of Jethro Tull (unreleased)

I don't care much for the last Eagles quad mix (OOTN), limp and buried in reverb.
But it had three top 5 singles (#1, #2, and #4) and was a huge seller.
This represents a dilemma: what to do with a bad mix of a monster hit?
Not a problem so far, since CTA is an excellent mix. But I hope Rhino considers whether a mix is any good or not before slating a title for release because of past sales.

P.S. Speaking of the Eagles -- isn't it ironic that the best selling album of all time (Eagles' Greatest Hits) has never been available in any surround format?

Last edited:
Back