SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D'oh! You're right.
Back to the current Joni Quadio releases..
Got mine today! 2 weeks to pick/pack and another 3 days to ship.
Loving it so far. I am most familiar with Court & Spark. It's such a well recorded album to begin with, but the subtle differences in the quad mix are really nice...

I went straight for the previously-unreleased Miles of Aisles quad mix and it's definitely interesting - most songs have the drum kit in front, guitar rear left, keys rear right, and vocals plus bass guitar equal in all four channels. It's also considerably drier than the newer Atmos mix, with the audience mixed much lower (to the point where it almost sounds like a studio recording, save for the crowd noise at the beginning and end of each song).

I like the fun 'on-stage' discrete approach - the sax appearing directly behind my head in "Cold Blue Steel" is particularly cool - but there's a warmth and extra clarity to the Atmos mix that's missing when you A/B them (at least in my opinion). I also don't love the vocals coming from everywhere at once, and they sometimes seem too loud relative to the other instruments.

Received mine yesterday after a week in customs. :confused: Started with the Atmos mix of Court and Spark and it's a nice one both musically and mix wise.:) Today I will listen to Hissing of Summer Lawns and the live album, and then later maybe check out the quads.

Great to hear. Mine has also cleared customs and might be here tomorrow, hopefully. I don't have an Atmos setup so it's straight to quad for me.

Great to hear. Mine has also cleared customs and might be here tomorrow, hopefully. I don't have an Atmos setup so it's straight to quad for me.
After they started to put VAT on everything the customs handling times have been ridiculously long. My packet used 2 days with DHL from the USA to Norway, and then 10 days here in Norway for delivery. :rolleyes:

I am hoping if these Joni boxsets do well maybe Asylum will give us a boxset of Quad Eagles albums. And dam you Rod Stewart let Warners/Rhino release Quad mix of "Atlantic Crossing" already. The only thing I don't like about this album is Rod took his wife's suggestion, Britt Ekland, to do a fast side and a slow side, I think album would have flowed better tracks mixed.
The fast and slow sides never even concerned me. I just love this album and would buy this in a millisecond.

A ? from an old quad head about these releases. I have a fully functioning quad system - amp, decoder, demodulator and proper cartridge. But what plays back these CDs and turns them back to Quad?

Back