SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A ? from an old quad head about these releases. I have a fully functioning quad system - amp, decoder, demodulator and proper cartridge. But what plays back these CDs and turns them back to Quad?
You need a Blu-ray player, one with multichannel audio outputs. Sadly they are getting harder to find. Alternately you would need a Blu-ray player connected via HDMI to an AV preamplifier or AVR.

IMHO your best bet is a used Oppo which will work with SACDs and DVD-Audio discs as well.

Yep, something like the oppo 103 below; I have one for my Quad room and a 205 for my main room, works great and this is about the price range they go for usually

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1861348879...kOCeL3EjtG2KMpSrmMU/LdZmg=|tkp:Bk9SR5KxyfLrYw

FYI, my copy of Hissing has two very pronounced vinyl-like "click" sounds, both within the first 30 seconds of the Jungle Line QUAD mix, coming from both the front and rear left channel. Anyone else have that on their copy?
On that same note, I can also hear some kind of click at near the beginning of Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire. It’s there on the Quad, but not the Atmos.

Back to the current Joni Quadio releases..
Got mine today! 2 weeks to pick/pack and another 3 days to ship.
Loving it so far. I am most familiar with Court & Spark. It's such a well recorded album to begin with, but the subtle differences in the quad mix are really nice...
Wow man, my Joni replacement finally arrived today!
Me three, mine arrived about an hour ago. The four-bundle I hope is coming soon as well.

Good point.
I have an OPPO BDP-95 that works great, and I've never had an issue playing any surround Blu-rays, including recent Rhino Quadios. No problems with my multichannel SACDs and DVD-As, either. The models ending in 5 have a superior DAC unit as compared to the 3 models, so for someone who is going to use the RCA multichannel outs to go into a quad amp, I don't think you can beat this unit for the price. They can be had for well under $500 on eBay; here's just one offering, for example.

You need a Blu-ray player, one with multichannel audio outputs. Sadly they are getting harder to find. Alternately you would need a Blu-ray player connected via HDMI to an AV preamplifier or AVR.

IMHO your best bet is a used Oppo which will work with SACDs and DVD-Audio discs as well.
Another option is the currently available Sony X800M2...

I am hoping if these Joni boxsets do well maybe Asylum will give us a boxset of Quad Eagles albums. And dam you Rod Stewart let Warners/Rhino release Quad mix of "Atlantic Crossing" already. The only thing I don't like about this album is Rod took his wife's suggestion, Britt Ekland, to do a fast side and a slow side, I think album would have flowed better tracks mixed.

When did they release the quad for Atlantic Crossing? I can’t find a listing.

I got my shipping notice yesterday. With the competence of my local post office, I’m not expecting anything soon.

I have an OPPO BDP-95 that works great, and I've never had an issue playing any surround Blu-rays, including recent Rhino Quadios. No problems with my multichannel SACDs and DVD-As, either. The models ending in 5 have a superior DAC unit as compared to the 3 models, so for someone who is going to use the RCA multichannel outs to go into a quad amp, I don't think you can beat this unit for the price. They can be had for well under $500 on eBay; here's just one offering, for example.

I have a 95, 105, and 205... one thing the latter two have that the 95 doesn't is the auxiliary HDMI input. This doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize that what that allows is to hook up HDMI sources to an old school quad receiver. I have been using one or another quad receiver as a bedroom sound system for years using first the 105 then the 205 to take HDMI sources (cable box, fire stick, chromecast, etc.) into the Oppo and then downmixing in the Oppo from 5.1 or whatever to 4.0. Yeah I know DSP is not for the purists but it works. I was using an "iArkPower" 5 port HDMI switch that I bought on Amazon because it had discrete input switching, discrete power commands, and auto-switching could be disabled so I could make it play nice with the AR Xsight remote that I was using to tie it all together.

Yeah I know I could have bought a cheap AVR and just disabled the center and sub but it wouldn't look as cool as a Sansui QRX :)

Yes, we are joking about the minuscule size of the print of the lyrics on the bluray sleeves. But seriously, in the case of Joni Mitchell's lyrics, it would really be helpful if the print was bigger as I want to read them during the songs. I wonder if there are scans of the LPs with the lyrics out there. :unsure:
Why don't you just look them up online?

Personally I’d prefer “Hijera” as a standalone release. It’s a very unique album and the last of its era maybe. But of course there is not a quad mix of it.

I didn’t jump on this on day one. But arrived today anyway. They will push aside the Wham! titles that arrived on Thursday. Me and Joni and a bottle of wine tonight. “For The Roses” in Atmos (played back in 5.1) is so far glorious!

Back