JVC 721/723 & cdr

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
There' s a way to make it play cdr? I can have this player for a decent price, but without cdr playback it will be nearly useless - i can play on it only dvd-audio disc and not dts cdr.

winopener said:
There' s a way to make it play cdr? I can have this player for a decent price, but without cdr playback it will be nearly useless - i can play on it only dvd-audio disc and not dts cdr.

Don't buy it! It will never do CDR or CDRW playback, the remote is a tiny piece of junk, loads and plays CDs very slowly and is just one of the most feeble electronic products I ever bought. The DTS decoding didn't work and I had to send it in for factory service. As soon as it came back I dumped it on eBay.

timbre4 said:
Don't buy it! It will never do CDR or CDRW playback, the remote is a tiny piece of junk, loads and plays CDs very slowly and is just one of the most feeble electronic products I ever bought. The DTS decoding didn't work and I had to send it in for factory service. As soon as it came back I dumped it on eBay.

The description look like is a serious piece of junk; i had the possibility to test it and sonically it's quite impressive - test disc were two dvd-a (eagles and elp) and two dts (eric clapton and alan parson), plus it decodes also mpeg multichannel, which i don't have on my current setup and not so easy to find. I've not tested the video part since i'm not intrested on that.
Despite the cdr flaw, doesn't seems to be too junky.
What specific problem did you had with this unit?

The build quality and remote didn't impress me even though it was a $899 list machine in those days. It fell to $300 faster than any other player I ever saw.

The dimestore remote is row after row of tiny *exact* same size buttons, so forget any intuitive or unlit night navigation. For a unit in this price range, that was inexcusable.

The sound quality of the DVD-A itself is excellent but that's the values of the format more than the player IMHO. Took a long time to actually read and start playing a regular audio CD. Plus....

The lack of stereo also outputs so that it could be used as a stereo CD source for the 5 channel stereo or other modes. (without it, the six outputs feed the 5.1 input and stereo programs will only sound through 2 front channels; unnecessary configuration pain since another $5 in parts would have solved this)

The DTS failure right of the box spooked me; brand new device fails and the local service people cannot fix it; send to JVC factory service only.

I bought it because I was dying to have the format, there are so many better machines out there now. Tell me you're not paying more than $75 for this! They've been $120 or less on eBay for the past year...

timbre4 said:
The build quality and remote didn't impress me even though it was a $899 list machine in those days. It fell to $300 faster than any other player I ever saw.

i can understand it...

timbre4 said:
The dimestore remote is row after row of tiny *exact* same size buttons, so forget any intuitive or unlit night navigation. For a unit in this price range, that was inexcusable.

this will not be a problem, since it will be used only for audio play.

timbre4 said:
The sound quality of the DVD-A itself is excellent but that's the values of the format more than the player IMHO. Took a long time to actually read and start playing a regular audio CD. Plus....

compared directly with a Toshiba and a Pioneer, the Pioneer sounds equally good but cost a lot more, the Toshiba is kinda muddy.

timbre4 said:
The lack of stereo also outputs so that it could be used as a stereo CD source for the 5 channel stereo or other modes. (without it, the six outputs feed the 5.1 input and stereo programs will only sound through 2 front channels; unnecessary configuration pain since another $5 in parts would have solved this)

agree 100% on that, if i ever thinked for a normal all-purpose use this will be a serious stopper.

timbre4 said:
The DTS failure right of the box spooked me; brand new device fails and the local service people cannot fix it; send to JVC factory service only.

dts worked, so maybe was a problem of the unit you had

timbre4 said:
I bought it because I was dying to have the format, there are so many better machines out there now. Tell me you're not paying more than $75 for this! They've been $120 or less on eBay for the past year...

considering the straight change, it is more; considering the real scarcity of dvd-audio player in italy and the few ones that are present are in the 400-500 euro range or more, a price of 120 euro isn't that bad.

To give you a idea, consider that the same SACD player sold in USA for 150-170 US$ here was 350 Euro. Unfortunately, the warranties covers only one region, so any player bought in usa can be serviced only in usa, thus...

On Ebay i've spotted the same jvc on a italian auction with a base price of 250 euro; seems for 120 is still a bargain, even if limited.

For what its worth, this was my first DVD-A player, and I loved it. For a year and a half. Then it started developing pixelization problems with video, and reading problems with DVD-A discs. Turns out it had numerous software upgrades, and the design allowed overheating of the chips. I sent it in to JVC - they wanted more to fix it, $275, then a new Toshiba SD 5700. I bought the new unit, and haven't regretted it.

Back