King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my friends, it happened.
After numerous purchases at Burning Shed I have had a SNAFU.:(
I always stop and think about clicking the option for the insurance but always say "Nah, it won't happen to me." (Can't say that anymore!)
In the wake of Poseidon shipped on 10/1/10 and I had it in my hands on 10/7/10.
Islands shipped on 10/4/10 and I am still waiting.:mad:
I e-mailed Burning shed and the situation looks grim. Just wait and see was all I could muster.
I wanted to share this with you so that you may seriously consider opting for the insurance.

Live and learn my friends. Up until this incident, Burning shed is top notch. Guess what, they still are!
This may be the fault of our Postal Service or some sticky fingered individual.

Well my friends, it happened.
After numerous purchases at Burning Shed I have had a SNAFU.:(

Live and learn my friends. Up until this incident, Burning shed is top notch. Guess what, they still are!
This may be the fault of our Postal Service or some sticky fingered individual.

I'd guess it's just a delay somewhere - one of my orders was thought to be lost and it came about 3 weeks later than expected. It can sometimes be just something silly like being sorted wrong and needs to be redirected, or got put in the surface transport bin instead of the airmail one.

Not from Burning Shed, but I once had a package from the UK (to Canada) arrive after being opened by customs in Australia!

Yes, give them a couple more weeks before writing it off....my last PT purchase from them took about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks but it did eventually show after I had the same phone conversation with the little lady at Burning Shed...and I live probably less than 100 miles from you. John S.

I'd guess it's just a delay somewhere - one of my orders was thought to be lost and it came about 3 weeks later than expected. It can sometimes be just something silly like being sorted wrong and needs to be redirected, or got put in the surface transport bin instead of the airmail one.

Not from Burning Shed, but I once had a package from the UK (to Canada) arrive after being opened by customs in Australia!

I had a QQ member send me disc from Europe in April.
Never got here...first time that has ever happened.

Unfortunately the lost disc was the Kraftwerk SACD :( :(

Back to King Crimson...
It's time I ordered a couple of these but my only experience is with ITCOTCK which I have on vinyl.
I'm sure this is an impossible question to answer but, where do I start ??

Disclaimer: I'm not a KC expert by any means.
Be sure to start with In The Court. If you like that, maybe Poseidon next (as it is very much the same style) but not everyone would agree. Red is different but also one of their strong ones (American breakthrough). Lizzard and Islands will depend, try to listen somewhere if you can (Spotify, LastFM or a service like that).

BTW. Hot from the Porcupine Tree Twitter feed:
From SW: Final stereo and 5.1 mixes of King Crimson Larks Tongues in Aspic done , was a tough one - Starless and Bible Black now underway...

Sorry, but you simply cannot blame DGM here - the responsibility has to lie with the US distribution and/or the US replication plant.
I make 3 sets of masters, one for Europe, one for Japan & one for USA, and they all ship at the same time from DGM HQ.
My best guess is that the plant in the US have bumped the delivery date whilst they give preference to a bigger fish.....
I will try to ascertain what has happened and post back

I had a QQ member send me disc from Europe in April.
Never got here...first time that has ever happened.

Unfortunately the lost disc was the Kraftwerk SACD
Yikes! Did he provide proof that he mailed it (receipt) ?

Are my eyes deceiving me? Tonight was the first time I visited Burningshed, looking to pick up ITCOTCK DVD-A as well as the Porcupine Tree FOABP DVD-A....I can't believe the prices I'm seeing. ITCOTCK is listed for $16.65 USD (as are the other available KC DVD-A's), and only $13.30 for the PT! I haven't bought a DVD-A disc in a couple of years, and was under the impression most titles went for $40+.

Amazon doesn't even list ITCOTCK except for the $60 box set, and I found only 2 PT discs listed, both for over $50. Before I buy them at burning shed, I thought I better check here to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me. Are they?

No trouble finding it at the Amazon US site - it's $12.99...

Are my eyes deceiving me? Tonight was the first time I visited Burningshed, looking to pick up ITCOTCK DVD-A as well as the Porcupine Tree FOABP DVD-A....I can't believe the prices I'm seeing. ITCOTCK is listed for $16.65 USD (as are the other available KC DVD-A's), and only $13.30 for the PT! I haven't bought a DVD-A disc in a couple of years, and was under the impression most titles went for $40+.

Amazon doesn't even list ITCOTCK except for the $60 box set, and I found only 2 PT discs listed, both for over $50. Before I buy them at burning shed, I thought I better check here to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me. Are they?

Did anyone already mentioned how much the packaging has improved?
No need to cut off lids, easy sliding out of the box.

BTW. Islands vs. Wake has proven to be a very personal thing. I'm in the camp that likes Wake and does not care much for Islands.

No trouble finding it at the Amazon US site - it's $12.99...

I ordered ItcotKC from Amazon and can confirm it is the real deal for $13 delivered, it was part of a $25 order. I already had the Lizard, Islands and Poseidon DVD-As before getting Court and it is the only KC album I owned originally when released over 40 years ago. Court is definitely my suggestion as to where to start with these KC DVD-As. I do see that Islands is rated highest in the polls here which really surprises me. I still don't have Red but I plan to pick it up.

...... Court is definitely my suggestion as to where to start with these KC DVD-As. I do see that Islands is rated highest in the polls here which really surprises me. I still don't have Red but I plan to pick it up.

(with apologies for the edited quote)
I think it's really interesting how people seem to either love Islands or else are almost indifferent to it.
It really does seem to polarize opinion.

fyi Islands and Wake cd+dvd-a sets in stock for $14.61 each delivered with 25MORE promotional discount at deepdiscount.com until dec 10

Is there any differnce in the packaging between the US pressings and the UK ones that come from Burning Shed?
Are they on the same label?

Back