King Crimson Starless Box Set Blu-ray, LPCM v DTS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drabs

Just received the Starless box set and had a question about the 1st Blu-ray Disc. It has two stereo options on the Glasgow recording, namely LPCM(24/192) and DTS-HD Master Audio. My system can handle both, but which is the best or is it simply down to preference?

Just received the Starless box set and had a question about the 1st Blu-ray Disc. It has two stereo options on the Glasgow recording, namely LPCM(24/192) and DTS-HD Master Audio. My system can handle both, but which is the best or is it simply down to preference?

The simple answer is there should be next to nothing in sound difference but systems usually process each in slightly different ways.

So whatever you think sounds best on your system is the one to go for.

Not the most helpful comment I know but really you should trust your ears and not someone elses

The simple answer is there should be next to nothing in sound difference but systems usually process each in slightly different ways.

So whatever you think sounds best on your system is the one to go for.

Not the most helpful comment I know but really you should trust your ears and not someone elses

Thanks for that. To me the LPCM sounds more natural, so that is good enough for me. I was just intrigued to find out if there was a technical preference.

Is anyone else having problems with the menu on the DVD Audio disc? once I select one of the three mixes it goes to 'stop'
If you push play it starts from the first track in multi-channel. It will not play the stereo LPCM track. Any help would be appreciated!

Is anyone else having problems with the menu on the DVD Audio disc? once I select one of the three mixes it goes to 'stop'
If you push play it starts from the first track in multi-channel. It will not play the stereo LPCM track. Any help would be appreciated!

Is this DVDA1 or DVDA2?

Yes, same here. It will only play the MLP surround. Do you have a blu-ray player? If so, you may be aware that the same content is on the 2nd blu-ray disc which I was able to access without issue.

The LPCM stereo and DTS streams are on the disc, but they are only accessible when playing the disc in DVD-V mode (as opposed to DVD-A mode).
In DVD-A mode, they are simply dead links on the menu that don't go where they are supposed to go.
I'm sure this was not intended, and I may look into this further if needed.

Or if you have a way to access individual titles in DVDA mode on your player, the LPCM/DTS titles are 4, 5, and 6.

Has anyone found a way to extract backup material off of the bluray discs in this set? I exercise my rights as granted by American copyright law to make personal backup copies of everything I purchase, as is good practice to protect one's investments, and it seems these discs have been authored in a manner that infringes on my rights as granted by American copyright law...anyone else out there having better luck that could offer some suggestions? MakeMKV keeps running into errors, and dvdfab keeps on throwing up an error that suggests the disc is dirty or damaged, which it isn't.

Actually I may have jumped the gun here, looks like MakeMKV throws up lots of errors, but works through them, and then allows you to rip the content. It was going slow and throwing up lots of errors, between that and DVDFab not working I didn't think it was going to work, but it's ripping to mkv now...will post whether or not it worked.

Has anyone found a way to extract backup material off of the bluray discs in this set?

I use MakeMKV to extract the files from purchased bluray discs in order to play them. This set didn't present any problems.

What is this "backup material" you speak of? Are you talking about some hidden content beyond the listed content?

Just making sure I'm not missing anything!

I usually set MakeMKV to ignore any track under 20 seconds (instead of the default 30) just to make sure I don't miss any intentional content. I assume anything smaller is intended for a menu or some such for the standalone hardware players. I only play music served from a computer (for at least the last 10 years now) so I don't even know what these discs look like in the old-school standalone players.

backup as in a safety copy. Yeah, looks like MakeMKV is working fine, I guess it's normal for it to run into errors while digging through the bluray for the data.

They're both lossless. Should be no difference whatsoever unless your system 'does something' to one format and not the other.

I have just encountered a problem with first the Blu-ray Disc. It will not play the amsterdam concert or any of the extras. It just goes to a black screen with a small white cursor and locks there for a while until it goes back to the main menu. I haven't played these options before so I assume the problem has always been there. Anyone else encountered problems with the Blu-ray Disc?

I have just encountered a problem with first the Blu-ray Disc. It will not play the amsterdam concert or any of the extras. It just goes to a black screen with a small white cursor and locks there for a while until it goes back to the main menu. I haven't played these options before so I assume the problem has always been there. Anyone else encountered problems with the Blu-ray Disc?
Hello Drabs.

Try upgrading the firmware of the player.

Hello Drabs.

Try upgrading the firmware of the player.

I checked the firmware status and i have the latest upgrade. I have a Denon player and also checked the disc on a Sony player and the same problem occurred. I wonder if its a disc issue as no one else has reported this issue as far as I can tell.

I checked the firmware status and i have the latest upgrade. I have a Denon player and also checked the disc on a Sony player and the same problem occurred. I wonder if its a disc issue as no one else has reported this issue as far as I can tell.

I too have this exact same problem. I just bought this set and it arrived this week. Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?

EDIT: Tried updating the firmware to my Oppo, it was no help at all.

Edit 2: Reached out to ImportCDs, they just want me to return the whole set for a refund. I'd rather just get a fixed disc.

Last edited:
I too have this exact same problem. I just bought this set and it arrived this week. Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?

EDIT: Tried updating the firmware to my Oppo, it was no help at all.

Edit 2: Reached out to ImportCDs, they just want me to return the whole set for a refund. I'd rather just get a fixed disc

No, this has never been resolved. I did receive a private message from a forum member who was compiling information about the issue and then going to raise it with the relevant people. I am not sure what came of that. I will PM him and see if there is an update.

No, this has never been resolved. I did receive a private message from a forum member who was compiling information about the issue and then going to raise it with the relevant people. I am not sure what came of that. I will PM him and see if there is an update.

Thanks, I'm trying to find a person to contact also.

Back