LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Now I have the Oppo working through my old technics QX949A. Rigged up a separate centre and subwoofer amp and speaker as the old Pioneer does 4 channel but not 5.1 All I can say is Holy s--t! I have had a big goofy grin on my face ever since.

Its a damn shame you have to be an old guy to afford the good stuff when your ears are going. Its the young that should have this stuff while they can really groove on it.

kenny the canuck

I believe it's Rhodesian Teak. Very nice long grain with no knots. Solid wood; no veneer. Beautiful.

It cost me R400 (about $45) in non-working condition. I spent R2000 ($220) on the refurb, R300 ($35) on the new amps and about 20 hours of work and some scrap-box components to wire in the new stuff. Total about R2700 or $300.

What's it worth now, I wonder?

Money well spent.

Justin

Kenny, is it a Technics or Pie-in-ear?

OK Now I have the Oppo working through my old technics QX949A. Rigged up a separate centre and subwoofer amp and speaker as the old Pioneer does 4 channel but not 5.1 All I can say is Holy s--t! I have had a big goofy grin on my face ever since.

Its a damn shame you have to be an old guy to afford the good stuff when your ears are going. Its the young that should have this stuff while they can really groove on it.

kenny the canuck

Sorry, Pioneer. Wow you don't miss a thing. I guess i was giddy with excitment. I'm still grooving. Its amazing to me how that old garage receiver that i had almost decided to toss, once its gets a clean signal in, sure does send a clean signal out!

Right now listening to OYE COMA VA and boy that is giving the individual channel display meter one heck of a workout!

Sorry, Pioneer. Wow you don't miss a thing. I guess i was giddy with excitment. I'm still grooving. Its amazing to me how that old garage receiver that i had almost decided to toss, once its gets a clean signal in, sure does send a clean signal out!

Right now listening to OYE COMA VA and boy that is giving the individual channel display meter one heck of a workout!

I told ya to bring that beast in from the garage :D

I'm glad you got it rockin' out! And Oye Como Va is a great tune!

They're all great tunes so far! I have haven't heard stuff that sounds this good since i was 18 and my ears were actually still working the way they were designed.

What I'm really finding fascinating is the ability I now have to listen to any one channel on the DVD audios in total isolation of the others especially the vocal channel's. You can really hear if these guy can actually sing.

I could do it with the Q8's but the sound quality is so much cleaner on these

My previous setup had a receiver that would only attenuate each channel to a degree (plus or minus 12 db's) so this is way more fun!

Listening to Emmylou Harris's pure lovely vocal only on the song Too Far Gone was like having warm honey poured into you ears.

kenny the canuck

Oppo Rig.jpgHeres a shot of this generation spanning setup in my man cave.

Kenny the canuck

Thats a Harman Kardon A401 amp (used to be a garage amp too! that I use for the centre channel as the Pioneer can only handle 4 channels. The little Yamaha speaker is the centre channel speaker. Still some refinement to do.

I have a Technics turntable hooked up too but I didn't put it in the shot.

kenny the canuck

Man, your arage must be full of fun stuff! I want to go to your garage sale. lol

And are those records on the shelf stacked horizontally? :yikes

No actually those are old Life magazines from the 40's and 50's and my precious National Lampoon magazines on the shelf. My records are in the house still. I only pack them out to my mancave (room on top my garage) when I want to digitize one. Most the the CD's are still there too. I had to move some out here when the collection just got too big. (about 2500 lps and 2000 cds) I keep the quad stuff out here as I can crank it without pissing off the sweet wifey or making the kids eyes roll back in their heads.

Since you're curious here's a shot of the place from the door. The most significant part you can't see is the beer fridge and the two lazy cats that are usually lounging somewhere. its a great place to spend a Canadian winter I'll tell ya except that I'm not getting much done on my car project as I made it a bit too comfortable.

Kenny the canuck

mancave left.jpgMancave right.jpg

Last edited:
No actually those are old Life magazines from the 40's and 50's and my precious National Lampoon magazines on the shelf. My records are in the house still. I only pack them out to my mancave (room on top my garage) when I want to digitize one. Most the the CD's are still there too. I had to move some out here when the collection just got too big. (about 2500 lps and 2000 cds) I keep the quad stuff out here as I can crank it without pissing off the sweet wifey or making the kids eyes roll back in their heads.

Since you're curious here's a shot of the place from the door. The most significant part you can't see is the beer fridge and the two lazy cats that are usually lounging somewhere. its a great place to spend a Canadian winter I'll tell ya except that I'm not getting much done on my car project as I made it a bit too comfortable.

Wow! And I thought my man-cave was stuffed. This is awesome...

Thanks! We should get pictures of the man(or girl) caves on this forum. It would be a hoot. Why don't you start a new thread with yours?

kenny the canuck

That is a great man-cave. Looks like a great place to listen to those quad records and read National Lampoon. I'm guessing you have the National Lampoon records as well.

That reminds me how much I miss watching SCTV reruns. They don't run them here anymore. One of my favorite Canuck imports!

I think I have one or two Lampoon records (The Secret tapes and Lemmings) but I never tried all that hard to get the others for some reason. I've been a fan since I graduated from Mad magazine in the early 70's. I like the earlier years (like up to about 1980. After that the humour really seemed to dry up. SCTV all the way! They taped a lot of them in Edmonton (The city nearest to me) so I always have fun trying to ID the street scenes. I still miss old John Candy, the worlds most lovable guy really.

kenny the canuck

If by user friendly you mean messy you're right! I have two garage cats and boy can they leave stuff (mostly hair) all over.
Seems I'm always in the middle of some misguided project there is always stuff jammed away in nooks and crannys.

My wife comes up here very seldom so its normally cleaned to a guys standard. As for the beer its some Canadian micro brewery brand. and India pale Ale-delicious as I recall

i only have one beer a day but its a big one!

Kenny the canuck

AADSC04069QX777FRTLFT.jpg
AADSC04070777FRTRGT.jpg
AADSC04084QX777SIDE.jpg
Sansui QRX-777 This is the first time I turned on the 777 to measure DC offset. When I turned it off to measure the right side the ON/OFF switch it wouldnt latch back on measure the other side.

Looks pretty clean and there was no smoke on the intial startup!

aaDSC04041900nude.jpg
Panasonic SA 6400X 4 channel receiver. The reflection is a Pioneer CT-F900 that was getting new belts installed. The Panasonic is missing some knobs and caps but it works and sounds good.
aaDSC04035sx6400ref.jpg
aaDSC04067sx6400ref.jpg
aaDSC04061sx6400refff.jpg
aaDSC04062sx6400ref.jpg
Supporting the Panasonic is a Made in the USA Magnavox MX 1560 receiver.

Back