Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time Further Out - Dave Brubeck expanded CD, even FURTHER OUT 10/10
DB_Time_Further_fr.jpg

Between Nothingness and Eternity - Mahavishnu Orchestra CD from Columbia Albums box. 8/10
cover_2723132582009.jpg

Heritage - Earth, Wind & Fire CD from The Complete Columbia box 9/10
bb9a225b9da07cafd7da2110.L._SCLZZZZZZZ_1.jpg

First Meditations (for Quartet) - John Coltrane CD 6/10
First+Meditations.jpg

Touch the World - Earth, Wind & Fire CD from The Complete Columbia box 9/10
Earth-Wind--Fire-Touch-The-World--439060.jpg

Daydreamin' when I'm thinkin' of you.

KINKS - - (Part 1) Lola versus powerman and the moneygoround

Anyone a fan of this album? I recently took the CD in the car with me and actually listened to this album all the way through for the first time in almost 25 years! :mad:@:

It's really good. And the DPLII in the car did some nice stuff to it. I'm going to rip and and spin it through SPEC to see if I can get a good upmix from it. If you're a fan of this album, check it out through a matrix and see what you think.

This album, if you recall, has a lot to do with the whole rock business of the late '60s, early '70s, and I think they reference all of their old managers that ripped them off in one of the tunes.

For those who don't know the album, it has the hits "Lola" and "Apeman" on it.

"The air pollution is a-foggin' up my eyes!" - great line. Sounded like you know what on the radio,

The CD I had also contained the BBC approved alternate Lola with "Cherry Cola" replacing "Coca-Cola", which I believe they had to change before the BBC would play the song.

Oh well................:phones

Eli & the Thirteenth Confession (expanded) CD - Laura Nyro 9/10 Musically, this is an 11. Most of it decodes very well in PLII. Lots going on, strings, horns, and of course, her multitracked vocals. My recollection of the Quad mixes from the Robin reels has the second being extremely "wet" on some tracks. They are drier here. Like listening to the Beatles in mono vs. 2 ch, this has a more solid sound than the Quads, although there is a cough on the second mix of Woman's Blues and a different take of Lu on the first. Not as good as the Quads, but pretty damn good, nevertheless. The bonus tracks produce nothing in the rear, since they are mono. The music is fantastic! Genius at work.
1520759.jpg

Have a Nice Decade, the 70's Culture Box - Various Artists 7 CD Compilation of top singles from the '70's. 4-9/10 ALL killah, no fillah. Being that each song is a different artist and mix, the surround effect varies greatly. 30 0f it's 150 tracks are available in Quad. I'm missing two of them in Quad, although I have them both on other 2 ch CD's. I'm Not in Love by 10cc and Foghat's Slow Ride decoded extremely well well, as did many of the Quad titles, albeit not as good as the Quad mixes. Some tracks didn't decode well, many decoded spectacularly. And the cover is a smiley carpet.
60173143.jpg
840929.jpg

Ameriachi. Of all the artists represented in my collection of 20,000, these are among my favorites. They sold millions upon millions in the '60's, and deservedly so. Some think this stuff cheezy. When I owned 20 albums, half were Herb Alpert. I've seen him live with the TJB reunion, the Passion Dance orchestra, the combo w/Jeff Lorber and recently with Lani Hall & their combo. I've met Herb a couple times. He's one of the nicest people I've met. There's a lot going on here, so they all synthesize well 8-10/10. All are CD's, although I own stereo & mono (where available) LP's, too.

tijuana_brass_vol2_1.jpg
One of his best. The second TJB album, which had no singles. Not to be missed. I've never seen this reissue, although I have a CD from the early '90's. If you've not heard this, get it. Spectacular.

70802472.jpg
51g9t9aiw2L.jpg
From the cutting room floor. A few years ago, many of his albums were reissued on CD. All the tracks here were never released or appeared on the fabulous You Smile, the Song Begins album in '74. Sadly, that album was a stiff. I got a promo kit with the album, a mobile & t-shirt. 5 of its' tracks are here. A couple unreleased and rare tracks are forgettable, but most are stellar. Popcorn, Lazy Day, Killing Me Softly, and Flowers on the wall are excellent covers. there are a number of killer originals, too.

$(KGrHqFHJC8E8+5Do20(BPbh55pi-Q~~60_35.JPG
Perhaps the best TJB compiiation, originally on 2 LP's, hence the name.

001c0593_medium.jpeg

5432518529_5e6c51c582_m.jpg

herb-albert-and-TJB-cover.jpg
Dolores Erickson was three months pregnant when these photos were taken.
Alternate color shot: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/w...ts-Tijuana-Brass-Band-1-Photo-Peter-Whorf.jpg
Herb-Alperts-Tijuana-Brass-Band-2-Photo-Peter-Whorf.jpg

Cover girl Dolores Erickson today: 2018926287.jpg

Thanks, Linda.

Some people insist that Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass was the last gasp of our parents' generation in popular music. They couldn't be more wrong. They were universally loved in the sixties by young and old alike. My friends and I listened to them with the same enthusiasm as The Beatles, The Byrds, The Stones, or any other of "our" bands.

And we always pronounced out the whole name without abbreviating it.

It is just infectious (in a wonderful way) music and I love it to this day and have all of the early albums. Maybe I'll just pop them all on, in order, today (in fake quad, of course :D).

Doug

Ive been using my lovely Oppo a lot for Fake 5.1 and i like it a lot.

tool - 10.000 days CD
tool - aenima CD
tool - lateralus CD

they sound really really good... and its with a crappy reciever (still waiting for the good one to arrive grrrrr)

Going Places - Herb Alpert & TJB Japan CD 9/10 Doug, note the TJB Express sign on the album cover. I know it should be Marijuana, er Tijuana Brass. I use TJB 'cause I'm a lazy old bitch.
41KKPRSKNZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A Perfect World of Music - ELO Euro CD 8/10
114363829.jpg

Greatest Hits/Live - Heart 8/10 CD
51JXMWf9ZvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Flight Log - Jefferson Airplane UK 2 CD 6-8/10
Jefferson-Airplane-Flight-Log-146239.jpg

Azteca Japan Blu-Spec CD 9/10 I have 5 copies of this, SQ, Q8, LP, USM CD and this, which is the best defined, cleanest. Still, I'd rather listen to the SQ. This is the copy I'll play in my car.
1353258301_azteca-blu-spec.jpg

Devin Townsend Project, Song: Coast, Album: Ki

sounds really great through DPLII

Dream Theater, Song: Misunderstood, Album: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Some parts are ...meeeehhh... and other are just awesome... oh would this be a good song if it had a discrete mix... good lord!

Back