Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something different: Bløf - Omarm [SACD]

6rugk8.jpg

I need to give this another try, I don't remember enjoying it musically too much when I first got it, surround was pretty good though, iirc..

I liked this customer review on Amazon.com

[COLOR=#555555 !important]By yowhatsshakin on February 19, 2009[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555555 !important]Format: MP3 MusicFirst the easy part, if you speak Dutch and get to this page through the non-Dutch web site: stop met lezen en bestel dit album. Waar wacht je eigenlijk op? Dit is verre weg Nederlands beste rock-groep! For all others, this is no simple task: how to convince somebody whose native tongue is non-Dutch to even consider to download or order this album. Does it suffice to say that the lyrics by Peter Slager (the bass player) are amazing and cut to the heart right away? Likely you do need somebody in your neighborhood with some knowledge of the language to help you out there. That the keyboard and piano part played by Bas Kennis are always superb (listen to Barcelona for example)? Well, there are chances you'll dig that, no matter what language the singer is using. Would it help to tell you that Norman Bonink is one of the best drummers you'll ever hear, always supporting the song? No, it is not like Neil Peart, but more Charlie Watts, with every stroke accentuating the right beat and musical phrase and leave a silence here and there for added effect. And would Paskal Jakobsen ever increasing minimalistic approach to guitar parts, where he arpeggiates chords instead of strumming them, pull you across the line? I don't know, but I'm sure his pipes will impress you. That the band has created some of the most enduring and beautiful melodies that I know of? All I can attest to is that being steeped in rock and jazz, I was just completely blown away with the arrangements this band produces. So do yourself a favor and take a chance. Remember that we Dutch natives have dealt with English lyrics for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it is just the melody, orchestration, arrangement, groove and feel of a song that sucks you in. You won't be disappointed.
[/COLOR]

It gets warm but not hot, and there's another door that I can open if necessary :).

Ah that's great to hear! :)
Onkyo must have fixed their heat issues, their AVRs were notorious at one point for overheating and failing, I'd considered one as they usually get great reviews, not least for their power per pound value, etc but was put off by reliability as that's become possibly the most important thing to me nowadays I can't be doing with stuff that doesn't work properly anymore!
Stay cool my friend :phones

Ah that's great to hear! :)
Onkyo must have fixed their heat issues, their AVRs were notorious at one point for overheating and failing, I'd considered one as they usually get great reviews, not least for their power per pound value, etc but was put off by reliability as that's become possibly the most important thing to me nowadays I can't be doing with stuff that doesn't work properly anymore!
Stay cool my friend :phones

There's a thread about this amp on avs forum (I think) and the biggest problem seemed to be the hdmi board giving up (and an occasional mention of it running hot) but so far no problems here, I bought it when this model was 3 or 4 years old so maybe they fixed the issues. It's a pretty good amp, powerful and warm sound.

Listening to Tusk, this time in 96k - found out that I have ripped all my dts 96 discs in 48k. Unsure if it matters - but I prefer to have it in the best quality possible. Now I know what I'll be spending my free time with in the next weeks. :D

My first Mahler purchase which I've received yesterday. I like it a lot. The music is sublime and the 5.0 mix is spot on. I had not heard of that orchestra or that conductor before.

Mahler%20Symhony%206%20Zinman%20SACD_zpsuk4vflhj.jpg

I like the Pentatone label a lot. I believe they consistently put out great new recordings and remasterings of Quad albums from the 70s.

I received this one a few days ago and I really enjoy it a lot.

Tchaikovsky%20-%20Suite%20No.3%20in%20G%20Op.%2055%20amp%20Stravinsky%20-%20Divertimento_zpsizqbce4u.jpg

I believe my 3 SACD set is Telarc and I recall reading good reviews. I love Mahler, so I'm really looking forward to it.

We're quite fortunate that so many great Classical works get the Multichannel treatment. I love discovering these.

Superb sounding Quad from 1975. It's just like a big ole piece of candy. :)

Smetana%20MFSL%20SACD_zpsyxsdksck.jpg

Back