Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the mix.High fidelity and very enveloping with some discrete moments.Deep tight bass.A real good album made even better.(y)

AWB - Average White Band (Q8)

Just cannot get enough of playing this.. I don't think I'll be bothering with my copy of the CD-4 again, this sounds.. spectacular :worthy

I'm Coming Home - Johnny Mathis (Q8)

Right now, lads, lasses, transgenders and everything else in between and beyond of QQ, you find ol' freddie in 8-track Quad heaven (its funny how we can go nigh-on twenty years without playing a format.. and then revisit it in the most breathtaking fashion, thanks to being "forced" back to the future due to our Quad addiction..)
my one regret = that I'd not got into Q8 sooner.. would have saved me a few quid f*-in around with SQ and CD-4 etc.. wow.. the beauty in these discrete 4-channel mixes.. maybe one day some label will get lucky and hit the jackpot to license and reissue these surround sound gems because they are just that.. gorgeous.

I love this album (I've bought it about 4 times - last was the 2 CD version), so out of curiosity how much better? Does the tape shift in the middle of tracks or do you get complete songs in Quad?

AWB - Average White Band (Q8)

Just cannot get enough of playing this.. I don't think I'll be bothering with my copy of the CD-4 again, this sounds.. spectacular :worthy

I love this album (I've bought it about 4 times - last was the 2 CD version), so out of curiosity how much better? Does the tape shift in the middle of tracks or do you get complete songs in Quad?

complete songs, no mid way ker chunk, just the track order is changed relative to the original LP to accommodate the length of tape in the cart (I'll PM you in a min)

Right now, lads, lasses, transgenders and everything else in between and beyond of QQ, you find ol' freddie in 8-track Quad heaven (its funny how we can go nigh-on twenty years without playing a format.. and then revisit it in the most breathtaking fashion, thanks to being "forced" back to the future due to our Quad addiction..)
my one regret = that I'd not got into Q8 sooner.. would have saved me a few quid f*-in around with SQ and CD-4 etc.. wow.. the beauty in these discrete 4-channel mixes.. maybe one day some label will get lucky and hit the jackpot to license and reissue these surround sound gems because they are just that.. gorgeous.

That's a great album.
I asked Vocalion to include it in their Surround Sound SACD series awhile back. Would be a winner!

Glad someone's enjoying Q8...It hasn't been very kind to me lately. I just went through hell transferring my copy of the Grass Roots "16 Greatest Hits" (volume overloaded so had to do it twice) and my player ate my copies of Edgar Winter's "Shock Treatment" and Carly's "Hotcakes". You never know if the tapes will live to see program 2...

As for listening to now- the Grass roots conversion. The mix is discrete but definitely seems off. There must be some GRT channel swap here so I'll have to play around with channels in audacity

Or some QQ Vocalion fans could email them and request it as well.... :)

Brian, I did just that. ANYTHING to keep the format alive and really, D~V is one of our last remaining hopes.:music

And I did mention Johnny Mathis as a possibility and the Mystic Moods Orchestra's first two hauntingly splendid albums "One Stormy Night" [with a track recorded by MoFi's Brad Miller] and their second outing "Nighttide." I understand both were slated to be released on CD~4 on the Philips label but were never pressed so the QUAD masters should exist.

Brian, I did just that. ANYTHING to keep the format alive and really, D~V is one of our last remaining hopes.:music

And I did mention Johnny Mathis as a possibility and the Mystic Moods Orchestra's first two hauntingly splendid albums "One Stormy Night" [with a track recorded by MoFi's Brad Miller] and their second outing "Nighttide." I understand both were slated to be released on CD~4 on the Philips label but were never pressed so the QUAD masters should exist.

Excellent.

The Mystic Moods albums were released in the US on the Warner Bros. label as CD-4 Quadradiscs, Q8 Tapes and in most cases Quad Reel.
And they all sound great.

Not sure who owns the Mystic Moods and Sound Effect/Demo album masters today. Perhaps Brad Miller's widow.
But I agree - they would make excellent Vocalion Surround Sound SACD releases!

If you have only heard the first two Mystic Moods albums on Q8, Quad Reel or CD-4, you need to find the others. :)
Each one is an excellent example of how well recorded Surround Sound can be.

Great music and mix.
d11e58cb733088e1c972c8f7d9125398.jpg

Excellent.

The Mystic Moods albums were released in the US on the Warner Bros. label as CD-4 Quadradiscs, Q8 Tapes and in most cases Quad Reel.
And they all sound great.

Not sure who owns the Mystic Moods and Sound Effect/Demo album masters today. Perhaps Brad Miller's widow.
But I agree - they would make excellent Vocalion Surround Sound SACD releases!

If you have only heard the first two Mystic Moods albums on Q8, Quad Reel or CD-4, you need to find the others. :)
Each one is an excellent example of how well recorded Surround Sound can be.

AFAIK, the first two Mystic Moods Orchestra albums [One Stormy Night/Nighttide] were NEVER released in QUAD in any format. They WERE originally on the Philips Pop Label.

DTS Entertainment did release three MM titles as DTS RBCDs, namely Stormy Memories, Erogenous and Highway One and they do sound great....although quite different than the original two.

I believe the HDS label currently owns the rights to ALL Mystic Mood masters and have NO idea if that company is owned by Brad Miller's widow/family.

Back