Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's - BD DTS-HD MA 5.1
Not super-discrete, but holy HELL. They tear. it. up.

One of my very first blu-ray purchases and still one of my favorites! :banana:

Now:

Starless_and_Bible_Black_-_Original_Vinyl_Cover.jpeg

Now I'm going to listen to Red. Which version is best? I'm going to listen to and compare both versions. DVD-A vs Blu-ray. :D

And now Crowded House, then off to bed. :D

[video=youtube;J9gKyRmic20]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20[/video]

You provided a spot-on description for this release. Simultaneously solid and transparent sonics, if that makes any sense... This was one of the first OOP titles I hunted last year when I started my personal MCH journey.

Well worth it!

Billy Joel - 52nd Street [5.1 SACD]

So amazing....

Testing limits tonight, LedZep How the West was Won, Stairway to Heaven DVD-A 5.1 MLP 48k 24b, not stopping there though ;) Given the right conditions these discs are impressive. Mr. John Bonham on buckets and me along for the ride, D and C, you go Jimmy.

Looks like fairly active rears, though loud fronts, which makes sense for hard rock/metal. What is the surround activity like?
For Black Album songs, are they the DVD-A mix?
Listening to Black Album right now, the mix seems to be the same, but clarity & punch is clearly better. I'm really curious how is foobar's replaygain going to handle my personal Metallica best of.
I'd say the quality of the mixes on the DVD is on par with the DVD-A, there's almost discrete activity in the rears throughout the disc, and center channel is used for vocals and more.
My only gripe would be the loudness on the most recent tracks (there's actually 21 of them) - a bit too much to these ears these days:(

Listening to Black Album right now, the mix seems to be the same, but clarity & punch is clearly better. I'm really curious how is foobar's replaygain going to handle my personal Metallica best of.
I'd say the quality mixes on the DVD is on par with the DVD-A, there's almost discrete activity in the rears throughout the disc, and center channel is used for vocals and more.
My only gripe would be the loudness on the most recent tracks (there's actually 21 of them) - a bit too much to these ears these days:(

Looking at that playlist, I'd skip about 1/3 of the songs anyway. Good to know the mixes are good.
Maybe someday they'll upgrade a video set to bluray!

Looking at that playlist, I'd skip about 1/3 of the songs anyway. Good to know the mixes are good.
Maybe someday they'll upgrade a video set to bluray!

Actually, I was suprised how many songs passed my criteria for a best of - those are marked four stars (or more). I'd love a set with upgraded & de-brickwalled sound:) Also, I'd appreciate a sound option with no voice-overs and sound effects.
Now I need to investigate the S&M concert on DVD that I totally forgot about, cause No Leaf Clover in 5.1 sounds really promising.

Back