Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoff Ensemble - Quiet Winter Night on blu ray in 5.1

E2030001-7A40-4CD6-8423-4DC45C36574F.jpeg

Maurice Ravel (BD-A)
Valses nobles et sentimentales, Gaspard de la nuit, Le tombeau de Couperin, La valse

Orchestre National de Lyon
Leonard Stakin (conductor)

Nice immersive surround experience.

at the moment listening to (and watching)
The 25th anniversary Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Concerts on BluRay
Excellent picture & sound (not much surroundwise) with many many outstanding performances. Bought it in New Zealand because I was told that they have the same region as Europe (was pretty cheap as well...)

at the moment listening to (and watching)
The 25th anniversary Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Concerts on BluRay
Excellent picture & sound (not much surroundwise) with many many outstanding performances. Bought it in New Zealand because I was told that they have the same region as Europe (was pretty cheap as well...)

That's an excellent title...sometimes I put it in just to hear THIS song...

[video=youtube;o42zmYN2_-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o42zmYN2_-k[/video]

Glass: Metamorphosis, The Hours performed by Lavinia Meijer on the harp in DSD Surround Sound.
Highly recommended.

Glass - 33912 - 450.jpg

"When I first heard that the brilliant Jared Sacks of Channel Classics was going to release the music of Philip Glass on harp...harp!...one of my favorite solo instruments...I could scarcely credit it. Glass? On harp? But given my enduring love of the harp, I gave it a try.

I’m delighted that I did! This opening track from Lavinia Meijer’s Glass – Metamorphosis, The Hours, recorded directly to Single DSD, gives you a sense for Meijer’s mastery of her instrument, and the amazing feel that she projects in this wonderful recording. It won’t take long for you to see why I’ve led our sampler with this haunting selection. The entire album partakes of the same sense of calm, contemplative reverie that is here.

If you don’t have this album, I strongly suggest that you purchase it...it’s a real treasure. By the way, I should mention that this album went on to become an enormous bestseller, at last count (2015) selling over 25,000 copies on SACD alone...in the Netherlands alone."

-- David Robinson, Positive Feedback

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/33912-metamorphosis-the-hours
https://nativedsdpresents.nativedsd.com/albums/NDSD006-positive-feedback-dsd-sampler-volume-1

Sheila Nicholls WAKE, DVD Audio 5.1 MLP 48k 16b, a vastly underrated disc, go for it just for the fine sound, gin and blood and soil, you can't leave.

Busy night. Started with Jethro Tull's Songs From Wood, then JT's Minstrel in the gallery, then a few Dylan songs from Concert at Bangladesh DVD and ending with Holly Cole Temptations stereo doing the songs of Tom Waits

petty1.jpg Hypnotic Eye. I especially like Fault Lines on this album. Unfortunately there's also some pretty lame and generic rock on here. Not the worst, not the best. Mike Campbell shines as always.

Edit: (haha!) Fault Lines, Full Grown Boy, Forgotten Man, Sins of my Youth, U Get Me High, Burnt Out Town, Shadow People, there's a lot of really great stuff on this album. :smokin Every Petty album has some filler, and this one is no different. The good stuff is really good, though. Conservative mix, but it makes sense. Non issue.

Nothing in surround for ages then bang Amin Bhatia Intersteller Suite wow
Followed by Gentle Giant Three Piece Suite Wow again, and to round the day off I will be watching David Gilmour Live at Pompeii

115310_large.jpg

Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair on blu ray in 5.1. Quite a few folks don't care for Steven Wilson's work on this one... I'm not one of those people. :spot

Back