Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carl Neilson - London Symphony Orchestra - Symphonies 1-6 - LSO Live
All six symphonies on one Blu-ray! Plus, redundantly on 3 SACDs. Amazing they could afford to do this.
Their composer packages are very reasonably priced.

fingers crossed DV can work their magic on the Arista Quads!! :upthumb

meantime CD-4 LPs of Back To Back are still available on the aftermarket ready and waiting to be snapped up and demodulated.. maybe the odd copy of it on Q8 too but i've yet to find one the last 6-7 months of snooping online for the tape it seems to be less common than its CD-4 equivalent! :D

Considering Arista is part of the SONY/BMG stable .....this should not be a major hurdle.:D

It was one of those quad releases I just passed on, at the time. Coulda woulda shoulda I suppose, but now it's in DV'S earshot I figure.

Listened to this disc the other nite. Usually I'll listen to half a disc through and change up but occasionally I run it through. I recommend you do the same (whole disc through, that is) for this title.

His time with Frank Zappa must have paid off , because it sounds very Zappaesque indeed .:D

So if you like music that moves, and great surround ,and Zappa's catalogue of entrées.......then you'll appreciate-

Mike Keneally-Sluggo DVDA

20180114_093628.jpg

B.B. King - Live in Montreux 1993 on BD-V in 5.1
Not extremely discrete like most concerts, but this thing looks and sounds fantastic for 25 years ago..(y)

Billy Joel -
Streetlife Serenade - SACD 4.0
The Stranger - SACD 5.1

Jakszyk, Fripp & Collins - A Scarcity of Miracles - DVD-A 5.1

Pink Floyd - Endless River - BD PCM 5.1

Travis & Fripp - Follow - DVD-A 5.1

Last edited:
there were 2 or 3 SFA 5.1 DVD's I think? Rings Around The World and Phantom Power were two of them off the top of my noggin :violin

Cool! Time to start my research... do you remember them as having good surround mixes? ("Love Kraft" is a "Flaming Lips"-caliber mix... excellent, discrete and super-active)

Didn't know Tom Waits was on this disc....oddly, I purchased my first Tom Waits a few weeks ago....but it's vinyl. It sounds awesome, he's a freak. In a good way that is...

I'd say we need everything by Waits in surround.....but then I don't know just how much it might improve his tunze.It's the poetic tomes that slay me.

First album that convinced me of his freaky-genius was listening to (in surround dolby fwiw) his film : BIG TIME .via my Tate.

Concert film from 88/89 and it's incredible btw. Hoping it will get reissued in Digital Surround one day soon .

Tom Waits.....recommended vinyl intro....would be Swordfishtrombones...and ..Rain Dogs:upthumb
("because I am a rain dog to..)

Gave this "unmarked" quad QS disc a spin the other night .

Not bad. Recorded in a smoky dimly lit nightclub no doubt.

Dave Leibman-Sweet Hands on A&M Horizon

20171213_200436.jpg20171213_200455.jpg

And take note : there were a few others secretly encoded at this time on that label......some are listed inside the jacket.

Back