Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know about this one, what is it like musically and surround wise?

Blind Ego - Liquid Live CD + DVD with DD/DTS 5.1

dqdcziqwnwun2ykqm.jpg

A project from Kalle Wallner (RPWL)

I like this band's version of "Stagger Lee " . Very compusrible lyrically and musically. They also do an extended version on The Live Brixton Concert set---in DTS . and Blixa Bargeld's mad violin solo at the ending is not to be missed. :D

Highly enjoyable and recommended .(y)

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds -Murder Ballads DVD DTS

20180120_202037.jpg

Boy this is an incredible surround mix for a disc from the year1970 !!!

Kevin Reeves s/b proud of his work.:smokin

Some tunes are standout great such as "Rock And Rock ", "New Age " and "Train Round The Bend ".

20180117_183616.jpg

Some tunes are standout great such as "Rock And Rock ", "New Age " and "Train Round The Bend ".

View attachment 31917

I agree...it has that 70's feel...one of the most pleasant surprises of that year..I don't play that one enough...but thanks to you..I will dust it off:)

I like this band's version of "Stagger Lee " . Very compusrible lyrically and musically. They also do an extended version on The Live Brixton Concert set---in DTS . and Blixa Bargeld's mad violin solo at the ending is not to be missed. :D

Highly enjoyable and recommended .(y)

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds -Murder Ballads DVD DTS

View attachment 31916

Sorry bout that. Meant to state very combustible !! Really got to review my typos .:rolleyes:

Fleetwood Mac self-titled Dolby Digital DVD... so glad this has been released; the mixes are very enjoyable and discrete (as with all the Mac releases)... but something is a little weird and I don't know if the mixing, mastering, or Dolby Digital is the problem (I just listen)... while the wave forms look heavily clipped (making me think this was going to sound very loud), instead I find myself turning certain songs up louder and louder, but still never getting rid of a kind of "muffled" sound quality; it's like I'm trying to get the songs to "punch", but no amount of volume increase achieves this. I'm still glad to have it, but I would double-dip on this one if a hi-rez version was ever released.

Fleetwood Mac self-titled Dolby Digital DVD... so glad this has been released; the mixes are very enjoyable and discrete (as with all the Mac releases)... but something is a little weird and I don't know if the mixing, mastering, or Dolby Digital is the problem (I just listen)... while the wave forms look heavily clipped (making me think this was going to sound very loud), instead I find myself turning certain songs up louder and louder, but still never getting rid of a kind of "muffled" sound quality; it's like I'm trying to get the songs to "punch", but no amount of volume increase achieves this. I'm still glad to have it, but I would double-dip on this one if a hi-rez version was ever released.

Sounds like Dolby Digital to me...
You lose clear directionality amongst the higher frequencies (like above 10kHz) so that's probably whats contributing to that 'muffled' sound you are hearing.

View attachment 31917

I'm playing it now...the thing I like the most is the degree of separation while still blending into the music...the front CH is distinctive but not overpowering..it's not front centric...there aren't too many releases I know of that can pull this off this well...and that includes the Steven Wilson mixes...just a perfect balance on this mix(y)

Steely Dan - Gaucho on SACD in 5.1. The wonderful bass lines on this disc made it a go-to for setting up a new sub at my place. One of my two went south on me so I purchased a replacement. Works and sounds great, so this morning I took the old one apart and got it working again :rolleyes: Anyone think I would benefit from putting this one back in the mix for a threesome (it’s a 10”, the other two are 12”)? And don’t tell me to return the new one, that’s just silly talk :mad:@:

Steely Dan - Gaucho on SACD in 5.1. The wonderful bass lines on this disc made it a go-to for setting up a new sub at my place. One of my two went south on me so I purchased a replacement. Works and sounds great, so this morning I took the old one apart and got it working again :rolleyes: Anyone think I would benefit from putting this one back in the mix for a threesome (it’s a 10”, the other two are 12”)? And don’t tell me to return the new one, that’s just silly talk :mad:@:

Before the resident bass hound(Gos 3.0)tells you can never have too much bass...my advice..keep it as replacement..you know sooner or later the other one will go south:)

Before the resident bass hound(Gos 3.0)tells you can never have too much bass...my advice..keep it as replacement..you know sooner or later the other one will go south:)

How true, just a matter of time. I've been reading up on having 3 or more subs, some interesting thoughts, though I suspect most are concerning home theatre more than music....though my system does see double duty.

"Illuminations" by Santana & Alice Coltrane.
This is BEAUTIFUL Quadraphonic music, the kind of music that Quadraphonic audio was made for, a film soundtrack with no picture.
Thanks, Dutton Vocalion!

:)

EJ - Madman on SACD in 5.1. His SACDs are some of the greatest bargains in all of surround sound :D

Absolutely agree. I purchased most of them from the now defunct Columbia House for $6 each. Yellow Brick Road, deluxe was $12!

Perhaps, with Elton now retiring from touring [after his current massive tour], he'll have time to look into releasing all those 5.1 mixes currently residing in LIMBO!:banana:

Back