Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert Reed - Sanctuary III

now I'm no Mozart (I'm decomposing these days rather than composing!) but from Mr.Reed's music to my ears, from the quality of how seamlessly the surround sound befits the music, I'm guessing the artist must be composing his work from the ground up with surround sound in mind from the outset, the mix is absolutely staggering...!!!!

now I'm no Mozart (I'm decomposing these days rather than composing!) but from Mr.Reed's music to my ears, from the quality of how seamlessly the surround sound befits the music, I'm guessing the artist must be composing his work from the ground up with surround sound in mind from the outset, the mix is absolutely staggering...!!!!

ps. for anyone who likes a 'format grumble' (TM) it seems the "best" quality 5.1 on offer from this new disc is standard DTS @48k, no DTS 96/24 or DVD-A offering or anything like that.. anyhoo.. sounds superb to me, if they all sounded as good as this we wouldn't need the QQ Polls. :ROFLMAO:

At least you haven't said "Too many notes" (re:Amadeus)! I'd fogotten this one was released yesterday, damn, I'm out the country for 3 weeks at company HQ, so no surround either aaaaaaargh! Edit: When I met RR (via svengaleekie (y) ) at the SW gig in Cardiff he did say he was really pleased with his surround mix.

Last edited:
Billy Cobham Live In Rome (DTS CD)

from a surround point of view, a total waste of time imho., just crisp packet reverb of the drums and applause in the rears.. ugh! avoid.

Adam, NEVER heard the expression WHEN IN ROME...........perhaps Elliot Scheiner was 'scoffing down' a pepperoni pizza in a nearby trattoria....and couldn't be bothered:smokin

I enjoyed the album but that's because I really wasn't expecting an aggressive SPECTRUM~LIKE remix. It was more 'in tune' with some of the Concord Jazz Records 'polite' multichannel remixes produced on SACD in the early 00's.

File under "Jazz for a Rainy Day in Foggy London Town!":)

Last edited:
Adam, NEVER heard the expression WHEN IN ROME...........perhaps Elliot Scheiner was 'scoffing down' a pepperoni pizza in a nearby trattoria....and couldn't be bothered:smokin

I enjoyed the album but that's because I really wasn't expecting an aggressive SPECTRUM~LIKE remix. It was more 'in tune' with some of the Concord Jazz Records 'polite' multichannel remixes produced on SACD in the early 00's.

File under "Jazz for a Rainy Day in Foggy London Town!":)

it's nowhere near approaching any of the Concord SACDs, many of them are yummy calzone..!! Billy in Rome is a pile of stale doughballs..!!

BTW, usually fredblue [Adam] and I share 'somewhat' similar musical tastes but I have to vehemently disagree with him on the Billy Cobham Live in Rome DTS RBCD. IMO, it's excellent and deserving of a 9. Cobham also teams up with saxophonist Ernie Watts and multi instrumentalist David Bromberg for what I consider to be an excellent set.

As far as the DTS 5.1 recording: Superbly fitting for the venue and it really gives a sense of being in the midst of what I consider to be a wonderfully enveloping set.

I followed this DTS 5.1 disc with another: Alain Mallet's MUTT SLANG and it was a perfect segue from Cobham to Mallet, the latter recorded 17 years later and blessed with a truly discrete mix by the maestro himself, Elliot Scheiner. But why compare the mixes. They both compliment the albums they serve.

I highly recommend BOTH albums. Never thought I'd be purchasing DTS 5.1 RBCDs of this caliber in 2018 and I really want to thank the QQ members who turned me on to these wonderful discs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Rome-...1-fkmr0&keywords=billy+cobham+live+in+rome+ds

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/alainmallet [2 disc set: RBCD/DTS 5.1 and the best price I've found on the net] In order to avoid confusion, CDBaby does NOT list this disc as a 2 disc set....but trust me, it IS.

Last edited:
BTW, usually fredblue [Adam] and I share 'somewhat' similar musical tastes but I have to vehemently disagree with him on the Billy Cobham Live in Rome DTS RBCD. IMO, it's excellent and deserving of a 9. Cobham also teams up with saxophonist Ernie Watts and multi instrumentalist David Bromberg for what I consider to be an excellent set.

As far as the DTS 5.1 recording: Superbly fitting for the venue and it really gives a sense of being in the midst of what I consider to be a wonderfully enveloping set.

I followed this DTS 5.1 disc with another: Alain Mallet's MUTT SLANG and it was a perfect segue from Cobham to Mallet, the latter recorded 17 years later and blessed with a truly discrete mix by the maestro himself, Elliot Scheiner. But why compare the mixes. They both compliment the albums they serve.

I highly recommend BOTH albums. Never thought I'd be purchasing DTS 5.1 RBCDs of this caliber in 2018 and I really want to thank the QQ members who turned me on to these wonderful discs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Rome-...1-fkmr0&keywords=billy+cobham+live+in+rome+ds

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/alainmallet [2 disc set: RBCD/DTS 5.1 and the best price I've found on the net] In order to avoid confusion, CDBaby does NOT list this disc as a 2 disc set....but trust me, it IS.

hey Ralph, no need for vehemence in expressing our difference! ;)

more seriously, i'm not berating the performance on that Billy Cobham Live DTS CD at all, its the surround sound on it that's (imho) lacking.

let's face it, its why we are here on this forum after all.. well at least its why I signed upto QQ in the first place = in the pursuit of seeking out quality surround music mixes.

for me, the surround mix on Mr.Scheiner's Mutt Slang DTS CD is light years ahead in quality compared to the Cobham Live DTS CD.. I need to listen to both discs more but at this point I'm putting Mutt Slang into a high (8/9/10) QQ Poll territory Vs. Cobham Live = low (3-5).. to my mind there really is no comparison.. while i don't share your sentiments, I respect your opinion on the Cobham DTS, if you like it that's great (y)

hey Ralph, no need for vehemence in expressing our difference! ;)

more seriously, i'm not berating the performance on that Billy Cobham Live DTS CD at all, its the surround sound on it that's (imho) lacking.

let's face it, its why we are here on this forum after all.. well at least its why I signed upto QQ in the first place = in the pursuit of seeking out quality surround music mixes.

for me, the surround mix on Mr.Scheiner's Mutt Slang DTS CD is light years ahead in quality compared to the Cobham Live DTS CD.. I need to listen to both discs more but at this point I'm putting Mutt Slang into a high (8/9/10) QQ Poll territory Vs. Cobham Live = low (3-5).. to my mind there really is no comparison.. while i don't share your sentiments, I respect your opinion on the Cobham DTS, if you like it that's great (y)

Adam, regarding the 5.1 Cobham mix: IMO, it's appropriate to the music and very similar to the DTS Entertainment 1998 release of Chick Corea & Friends: Remembering Bud Powell: https://dtsmusic.pro/jazz/770-chick-corea-and-friends-remembering-bud-powell-1998-dts-51.html

On my system although it's hardly discrete, the rears project an enveloping earful most appropriate to the live concert venue. I played it at [volume] 75 and I programmed my Meridian Sooloos so it segued into Mutt Slang and WOW, it was pretty amazing.

I know 'vehement' was probably NOT the right choice of words but when I'm passionate about an album I suppose I do get carried away.

When Mutt Slang segued into the Mystic Moods Orchestra's Erogenous [DTS 5.1] I knew it was time to go beddy bye!

I also slipped in The Thrills' So Much For the City [DTS Entertainment 5.1 DVD~A] so all in all I had a pretty full listening experience last evening courtesy of DTS Entertainment and Etrain Records. https://www.discogs.com/The-Thrills-So-Much-For-The-City/release/7257323

Last edited:
Last friday gave this new or updated version a good listen.

Led Zeppelin-How The West Was Won...blu-ray

Not a lot of difference from my DVDA'S but I do appreciate it (and thx SimonA-a nice surprise )

Attachments

• 20180420_175445.jpg
    20180420_175445.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20180420_175503.jpg
    20180420_175503.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180420_175512.jpg
    20180420_175512.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 72
Back