Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Girl from Bossa Nova by Jacintha. Now available in Surround Sound DSD 256 from Groove Note.
Very nice! Definitely recommended.

The Girl From Bossa Nova - 450.jpg

A Top 5 DSD Best Seller!

The Girl From Bossa Nova
Jacintha

Groove Note GRV 1026
Stereo DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 256
Surround Sound DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 256

A highlight in DSD Surround Sound is Jacintha's vocals in the Center Channel speaker reproduced as clear as a bell. NativeDSD makes this recording available for the first time as a DSD Download to music lovers outside the US and Canada.

Groove Note tells us "Featuring a program of some of the most well-known classics of the genre including several Antonio Carlos Jobim favorites like So Nice, Desafinado, Dindi, Corcovado, as well as less familiar tunes like O Ganso and So Danco Samba, The Girl From Bossa Nova is a striking change of pace for Jacintha that will enthrall all of her fans.

With superb solos from tenor saxophone player Harry Allen and acoustic guitar from John Pisano (former Diana Krall trio member), the album is given the supreme finishing touch by the magical playing of Brazilian master percussionist Paulinho Da Costa who has recorded and performed with all the legends. His contribution truly gives the entire album it’s authentic bossa nova vibe. A must buy for Jacintha fans and all bossa nova lovers."

John Crossett from SoundStage! Network says "Until you’ve heard this album, you have no idea just how significant a singer Jacintha truly is. Here, she sounds alive -- in-the-room real. It’s almost spooky.

And this allows you to get a feel for how she sets up a line, using subtle inflection and/or minor variation of pitch and tempo to make each syllable come alive. She never forces her way, always remembering the gentleness of the Bossa Nova. Instead, she carefully and confidently navigates her way through with unerring accuracy. She sings these Brazilian songs like a native, a real testament to her talent."

https://groovenote.nativedsd.com/albums/GRV1026-the-girl-from-bossa-nova

In my Dylansque mood last nite .

So a little or perhaps a lot fr Bob Dylan -Blood On The Tracks SACD
excellent music fr Dylan....and super surrounding disc , fwiw.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Select tracks all, but Jack Of Hearts my second favourite tune fr this disc.

Attachments

• 20180505_191739.jpg
    20180505_191739.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20180505_191748.jpg
    20180505_191748.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 83
Waves: The Bossa Nova Session. Now available in Surround Sound DSD 256 from Groove Note.
More mellow music in Surround Sound DSD. Nice....

Cover - 450.jpg

Groove Note tells us "The inviting sensitivity of singer Eden Atwood and the sensuous rhythms of Brazil make for a stirring musical marriage on Atwood's first Groove Note release Waves: The Bossa Nova Sessions. Atwood, who's thrilled audiences from Chicago to Shanghai with her superb vocal instrument and unbridled sense of expression, gives the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim, Duke Ellington, John Lennon - Paul McCartney and others fresh meaning with unmatched warmth, conviction and a flirtatious touch of playfulness.

On Waves, Atwood is accompanied by a group of like-minded musicians including pianist, arranger and Thelonious Monk International Jazz Competition winner Bill Cunliffe (whose Groove Note recording Live At Bernie's received unanimous praise), guitarist, bandleader and award-winning arranger Anthony Wilson, first-call bassist Darek Oleś and drummer Joe LaBarbera, whose touch and superb rhythmic facility graced the trio of the late Bill Evans among many others. Saxophonist-flutist Pete Christlieb Tenor Saxophonist, for years the leading reed player in Los Angeles' highly competitive studio scene, rounds out the gifted combo.

Atwood came to international attention with a string of acclaimed recordings for the Concord Jazz label and live performances across America and Asia. Daughter of noted composer-arranger Hub Atwood, whose works were performed by Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Stan Kenton and others, she began singing at the age of three. Her varied career includes modeling in Paris and television acting in New York but her first love, jazz singing, is what has taken her across the globe.

Waves finds Atwood exploring bossa nova standards including "Girl From Ipanema," "Brazil" and "Meditation" with unmistakable passion and verve. Thanks to Cunliffe's attractive arrangements, she puts Brazilian touches to such favorites as "Fool On the Hill" and "How Deep Is the Ocean." The purity and unique quality of her voice is complimented by the natural, audiophile-quality sound that Groove Note brings to all its recordings. In a world filled with come-lately singers of questionable quality, Eden Atwood stands apart with craft, confidence and conviction. Proof of her talent is abundant throughout Waves. Listen."

Eden Atwood - Waves: The Bossa Nova Session
Stereo DSD 64, 128, 256
Surround Sound DSD 64, 128, 256

https://groovenote.nativedsd.com/albums/GRV1012-waves-the-bossa-nova-session

And some later era surround fr Bowie.

Musically ...I think Heathen is the better , and better surround.

I think they're close, but concur. Heathen has songs that make me want to weep. I wish they would do Black Star also. And Earthling. I've written Tony Visconti about it. Not sure if he's reading my messages!!! o_O

Back