Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe (DVD DTS 5.1)
Didn't listen to this one for a long time... I almost forgot how good this album is!

I completely forgot that I have the Deluxe Edition sitting in storage, sealed, in the box it was shipped to me in, when I purchased it. I was going to sell it after hearing several song samples. I havenā€™t really liked much anything after Playing The Angel but I did end up getting Delta Machine in HiRes Download including the 5.1 disc that came out that I havenā€™t played in a long time.

Foreigner - Foreigner DVDA.

Damn! I wish I had this one.

Long, Long Way From Home is my favorite track off this album. I used to play the left and right channel separately because most of the instruments were panned hard left and right. From what I remember, the exception was the drums and vocals. How did they mix it in 5.1?

Extension Of A Man - Donny Hathaway

there are a couple of niggling things about the mix I don't totally love and there's maybe a touch too much lead vocal reverb in the rear channels on a couple of tracks.. but the highlights are some of Quad's highest heights imho, what a beauty it is in surround.. maybe we'll get to hear it in master tape quality.. and.. someday the tape will be free..! šŸ¤£

Extension Of A Man - Donny Hathaway

there are a couple of niggling things about the mix I don't totally love and there's maybe a touch too much lead vocal reverb in the rear channels on a couple of tracks.. but the highlights are some of Quad's highest heights imho, what a beauty it is in surround.. maybe we'll get to hear it in master tape quality.. and.. someday the tape will be free..! šŸ¤£

One could ONLY hope Adam.....along with Roberta Flack's KILLING ME SOFTLY.....what a two~fer that would be!

One could ONLY hope Adam.....along with Roberta Flack's KILLING ME SOFTLY.....what a two~fer that would be!

you know Ralphie, you're killing me softly with your suggestion! šŸ˜
not least because I've still yet to hear Ms. Flack's Quad in satisfactory quality.. both my copies of the Killing Me Softly CD-4 are flawed beyond redemption.. i can tell the mix is pretty good, not sure if it's upto the standard of the Donny Hathaway but.. maybe someday Roberta's Quad will be free, too! šŸ¤£

AWB - Average White Band

the largely excellent (and in places quite inventive/daring/interesting) Quad mix takes some very familiar (to me) material by the scruff of the neck and doesn't let go, even the slower numbers are given an interest/excitement boost by the surround mix but the fun factors most evident on the uptempo tracks.. afaik this one never got a Quad Reel release back in the day, which makes it, for me, an important one for Rhino to give the Quadio Blu-ray treatment, so we could finally hear it in the ultimate sound quality :phones

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde SACD

BD_BoB.jpg

you know Ralphie, you're killing me softly with your suggestion! šŸ˜
not least because I've still yet to hear Ms. Flack's Quad in satisfactory quality.. both my copies of the Killing Me Softly CD-4 are flawed beyond redemption.. i can tell the mix is pretty good, not sure if it's upto the standard of the Donny Hathaway but.. maybe someday Roberta's Quad will be free, too! šŸ¤£

Flack's album Killing Me Softly was always, IMO, problematic. It was always very hissy, even on the original Stereo Vinyl [and other formats, as well]. Wonder why?

maybe because they didn't have Flac for Ms. Flack in those days, only plackstick rekkids and tapes..!? ;)

I recall having Killing Me Softly on Stereo Open Reel......sounded like Ms Flack's pet snake, FANG, was in the room and hissed his way through the recording. Dang, Fang! Should've fed him a nice juicy mouse!

Joni Mitchell's Hissing of Summer Lawns didn't have THAT MUCH HISS!

I recall having Killing Me Softly on Stereo Open Reel......sounded like Ms Flack's pet snake, FANG, was in the room and hissed his way through the recording. Dang, Fang! Should've fed him a nice juicy mouse!

Joni Mitchell's Hissing of Summer Lawns didn't have THAT MUCH HISS!

Adam, perhaps you should dunk your CD~4 of Killing me Softly into a deep vat of luxurious FAIRY LIQUID......what's the worst that could happen ....... tiny pink bubbles softly floating out of your speakers?

Last edited:
Damn! I wish I had this one.

Long, Long Way From Home is my favorite track off this album. I used to play the left and right channel separately because most of the instruments were panned hard left and right. From what I remember, the exception was the drums and vocals. How did they mix it in 5.1?
How? Not that well, I'm afraid. I bumped my rears up +3dB and sometimes couldn't hear them. They did little tricks like cycling the keyboard between the rears, but the vocals were solid from the center. Drums & guitar mostly left front.....Sax right rear I think. Front right I couldn't hear a whole lot from on this song, IIRC.
So, Right front and Center pretty much dominated the sound for this particular song.
But this is from, what? 20001? Maybe an inexperienced person doing the mixing.
Still like the song.

Back