Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To say the least!

Mike, another 'wonky' title in superb MLP DVD~Audio from DTS Entertainment which I really like:

61F58YXYY1L.jpg

Ralph, I thought I knew about most under the radar titles but here is another that has slipped by me. Now on to a hunt to find this one. Looks like amazon.uk might have a couple still left from resellers.

Ralph, I thought I knew about most under the radar titles but here is another that has slipped by me. Now on to a hunt to find this one. Looks like amazon.uk might have a couple still left from resellers.

I really love this title. It's a laid back California surfer title with some gorgeous melodies and discrete surrounds. If you do track it down....buy it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I like their unplugged a lot. Nirvana and Foo Fighters too.

The Alice In Chains MTV unplugged show is musically really good. It's too bad this has never been re-issued in Blu Ray and perhaps re-mixed at the same time to provide a more discrete listening experience.

Visually, it's hard to watch. When Layne takes off his glasses you can see that either he's really high or strung out. Having seen AIC live several times in the early 90's, he's just a shell of himself here, both physically and emotionally.

My heart aches for those who never find their way out.

Last edited:
The Alice In Chains MTV unplugged show is musically really good. It's too bad this has never been re-issued in Blu Ray and perhaps re-mixed at the same time to provide a more discrete experience.

Visually, it's hard to watch. When Layne takes off his glasses you can see that either he's really high or strung out. Having seen AIC live several times in the early 90's, he's just a shell of himself here, both physically and emotionally.

My heart aches for those who could never find their way out.

Your post made me go back and revisit that DVD...it's playing right now...Layne suffered from depression along with his drug habits...the death of Kurt Cobain scared him and he backed off the drugs for awhile...back it didn't last long...that concert in 1996 was the first public appearance in 3 years for the band....hard to believe that in 6 years he would be dead at 34...most people don't know what the power of depression can do to a person...add a drug habit and it's just a lethal combination...many artists recover from drug addiction...the list is long...but depression is like throwing gasoline on a fire for an addict...regardless of what you are addicted to...

Like I just mentioned to Dr. Simple....as long as you like it...that is all that matters:cool:
I just watched edisonbaggins (Mike's) review on YouTube and he's obviously listened in a lot more detail than I have and knows the original better and now he points out the faults I can see them, but none the less, Yes I did enjoy it very much. Too many brains though!

I just watched edisonbaggins (Mike's) review on YouTube and he's obviously listened in a lot more detail than I have and knows the original better and now he points out the faults I can see them, but none the less, Yes I did enjoy it very much. Too many brains though!

I don't do that type of listening anymore...I found myself too focused on all the negatives and talked myself out of liking some discs...it becomes too clinical and less like art...and I learned my lesson in the video world...once you find flaws on a screen you can't "un see" them...so I knew better than to carry over that mindset when I got involved in the audio world...some people enjoy doing that...and it's fine with me...I love music...and most of what I love about it is the feeling it gives me...sometimes it evokes sad memories and other times it's euphoria...but to dissect every little nuance of a song isn't for me...I don't care at the 4:12 mark that there is less bass...just the basic observations are fine with me...and even the constant inquiries about "how discrete is it" "is it immersive"...that has become less important to me recently...one man's discrete is another man's immersive....I'm happy when it doesn't sound compressed and it has clear sounds(good fidelity)...

You might say I have undergone a de-evolution of my surround heritage:D

Clint, you make a fair point, that enjoyment is the most important part of our hobby (that's my interpretation of your point, anyway).
Yet, there is a sense in which mixes need to be done right. Not everybody is ever going to agree what right is, of course. There is taste involved. There are differences in systems, for better or worse. There are moods and all kinds of factors.
Let me give an example of wrong though. Let's say Chycki had muted the lead vocal. Now, everyone (who doesn't hate Geddy's singing) will agree that's wrong. Now, let's say he buried it by around 15 db. Lots of listeners will agree that's wrong. -12 db, less agreement and so forth. Until you get what we got. I'd say the vocal is too quiet by around 3 db (though volume might not be the only factor - there are EQ, effects and the like to consider). So, some will hear that and some won't. Hell, some might prefer it. Maybe Lifeson told Chycki to turn the vocal down and the guitar solos up.
Explaining what we are hearing, and whether it works for us is an important part of this hobby, at least to some of us.
Sure, it's sad when somebody can't enjoy a remix of a favorite album. But there is value in being truthful if we're hearing something wrong or unusual.

Last edited:
Clint, you make a fair point, that enjoyment is the most important part of our hobby (that's my interpretation of your point, anyway).
Yet, there is a sense in which mixes need to be done right. Not everybody is ever going to agree what right is, of course. There is taste involved. There are differences in systems, for better or worse. There are moods and all kinds of factors.
Let me give an example of wrong though. Let's say Chycki had muted the lead vocal. Now, everyone (who doesn't hate Geddy's singing) will agree that's wrong. Now, let's say he buried it by around 15 db. Lots of listeners will agree that's wrong. -12 db, less agreement and so forth. Until you get what we got. I'd say the vocal is too quiet by around 3 db (though volume might not be the only factor - there are EQ, effects and the like to consider). So, some will hear that and some won't. Hell, some might prefer it. Maybe Lifeson told Chycki to turn the vocal down and the guitar solos up.
Explaining what we are hearing, and whether it works for us is an important part of this hobby, at least to some of us.
Sure, it's sad when somebody can't enjoy a remix of a favorite album. But there is value in being truthful if we're hearing something wrong or unusual.

Like I said..I have no problem with others that want to break out the wave forms...charts...ocean tides...or even analyze seismic activity in the earth's core...I thought I made that clear...you don't have to defend your actions to me...it was a post to svengaleekie...not you:D...but as much as you enjoy free reign to dissect these mixes I feel that I should be afforded the same privilege of expressing some positive aspects of the music...

Like I said..I have no problem with others that want to break out the wave forms...charts...ocean tides...or even analyze seismic activity in the earth's core...I thought I made that clear...you don't have to defend your actions to me...it was a post to svengaleekie...not you:D...but as much as you enjoy free reign to dissect these mixes I feel that I should be afforded the same privilege of expressing some positive aspects of the music...
Not attacking you, Clint... When you constantly comment that it's all about enjoyment, expect or tolerate if somebody begs to differ or share a different point of view...

Not attacking you, Clint... When you constantly comment that it's all about enjoyment, expect or tolerate if somebody begs to differ or share a different point of view...

I didn't think you were attacking me...that's why I put the smilie in there.....and nobody has stopped you from making your observations...especially not me...but it seems you don't want me to express my point of view....that seems more accurate....and if this hobby isn't about enjoyment....I wouldn't be here....and if it gets to the point that it becomes a negative circus I will be gone ..until that time I will continue to comment about the positive things in the hobby...and you can continue pointing out the things you think are wrong...simple as that...hopefully this closes this mini discussion...

I didn't think you were attacking me...that's why I put the smilie in there.....and nobody has stopped you from making your observations...especially not me...but it seems you don't want me to express my point of view....that seems more accurate....and if this hobby isn't about enjoyment....I wouldn't be here....and if it gets to the point that it becomes a negative circus I will be gone ..until that time I will continue to comment about the positive things in the hobby...and you can continue pointing out the things you think are wrong...simple as that...hopefully this closes this mini discussion...
You say it seems like I don't want to express your views, when I've never said that. When I try to add my observations, in response to your views, you can me defensive...

Back