Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JP, this was the version highly recommended to me and it's still available from CDJapan for roughly $24.

BTW, it's 5.1 NOT 3.0 as indicated in CDJapan's description: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10088?s_ssid=e3faa5c3d6c76cba8

Excellent disc and very discrete!
index.php

Thanks for the info - ordered:D

H'mm, not a mindblower in surround, kind of weak to be honest.

Well, after Rocks any modern surround mix might seem tame! As you say it is a rather tame 5.1, which is generally what you get on those old Sony Single-Layer Multichannel discs (with a few exceptions). Hard center channel vocals with overdubbed vocals through the phantom center, backing vocals mostly in the rears, along with some keys and rhythm guitar back there. Not a Columbia four-corner quad mix, but definitely real surround. It's one of the better Sony titles if you ask me...

Last edited:
Well, after Rocks any modern surround mix might seem tame! As you say it is a rather tame 5.1, which is generally what you get on those old Sony Single-Layer Multichannel discs (with a few exceptions). Hard center channel vocals with overdubbed vocals through the phantom center, backing vocals mostly in the rears, along with some keys and rhythm guitar back there. Not a Columbia four-corner quad mix, but definitely real surround. It's one of the better Sony titles if you ask me...

Your statement pretty much nails it, my ears where trying to hear the quality of the 4.0's and I was having trouble, probably should have listened first. This Billy Joel disc is all over the place one song vocals dead center, the next in the rears (it was the track where he sings with a lot of background vocals) it's good, different. Actually now that my brain and ears have synced, it's much better.

Steve Hackett - The Night Siren Thought I'd dig this one out as I hadn't listened to it in a while. The bass is over the top, I had to turn the sub down by 4db. I went back through the forum to find comments made on it's release and many said the same, the surround mix is not too bad but there is a definite 'Murky' sound to it. The music's good but I'm not keen on Steve's voice. Having said all that I do have his new release on pre-order, hoping for the best!

oh that is certainly a big typo!

PCQ-32847 is
Aerosmith "Get Your Wings".

the other catalogue number,
PCQ-33234 is
Andy Williams "You Lay So Easy On My Mind".

Yesterday I did not have my Quad Inc catalogue to verify the # and see if it belonged to another , so good work .

as I also checked the # listings in chronological order.

BIG TYPO !

Andy Williams does Aerosmith . :)

Back