Little Criminals & Winelight

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Hey, let's face it. I'm a main stream guy. Up 'till about 1985, I knew most artists and releases. After that, I lost track of the music business.

So, when I see a list of announced DVD-A's or SACDs, I look for the "mass market" stuff, as opposed to the esoteric high-brow releases.

With that said, of all of the new releases in the past week, these are the two I ordered, and THEY ARE GREAT! :D

Randy Newman's Little Criminals was his most commercially successful album, with the hits SHORT PEOPLE, BALTIMORE, and RIDER IN THE RAIN. All three of these songs come of exceptionally well in 5.1, with Randy smack dab in the center speaker (and only the center speaker) and the background singers (Eagles, etc.) in the rear, in the great quad tradition. While these songs are great, it is the lesser know songs that excel. THe soundfield is spread throughout the listening area, and it is not gimmicky in the least. This is one for you to get, as it shows off the high resolution DVD-A sound to the max. I cannot help but wonder if this title was scheduled for a CD-4 release back in the '70s, as it came out about the time quad died, much like Hotel California....

Grover Washington's Winelight, another mainstream release, is exceptional as well. Clearly defined, crisp and spread all over the room, this mostly instrumental release sounds better and clearer than ever. The chart topping single sung by Bill Withers, "Just the Two of Us" is a great demo track. Friends will recognize it and be amazed. The title track is also nicely done with a thumping bass and the high flying lead sax.

OK, so I liked them both!

One other thing that is so nice......WB has made these releases play immediately. No menu, no selection, I just popped them in the DVD-A player and they started playing. The new menu's are nice and easy to use, with lyrics and other extras. The Randy Newman release includes the video for Short People, although I have yet to watch it.

So, GO GET THESE TITLES!!!

:-jon

Nice review Jon. The Randy Newman is already on my buy list. Like you, I'm pretty mainstream when it comes to music, but since the advent of DVD-A and SACD, I'm beginning to find that my musical tastes are starting to expand thanks to great surround mixes. BTW, it seems that someone is listening to consumers. The instant launch feature is beginning to turn up on a number of discs and hopefully will be adapted by all the labels for future releases. (The EMI discs are a pain in the butt, as they're the only ones I can't play without turning on the tv.) With the move of DVD-A to the automobile marketplace, it seems to me that instant launch is the only way they'd work properly.

I have gotten these disks to playback without turning on the TV. Insert disk, press play, wait for it to get thru those annoying promo's(about 10-20 seconds), when it finally settles on "Play"(DVD-A display) hit "next" on the player until it finds the first track. This method is not perfect & is a little different on each disk but it can be done. EMI's disks are the only DVD-A's that give me trouble. Hope they get this one figured out soon!

Winelight is something you play over and over. I've also got the Little Criminals disc, but only listened to it once, and need to do so again before forming any distinct impressions.

Nick

This was pre-HiRez Polls.

Wow. 10+ years ago. Reading old QQ posts can get quite depressing.................... :(

Back