Loggins & Messina - Full Sail - Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACD (July 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I can clear up a couple of things about these two releases..

Speaking of the quad version only, the mixes of the tracks from BS&T 'II' on BS&T 'Greatest Hits' are the same. The weird thing is that rather than both versions having the long album versions, it's the quad mix of BS&T 'II' that contains the single edits (ie the short version of Spinning Wheel etc). Even weirder is that Columbia definitely did a quad mix of the long album versions (it's out there on one of the Mike Robin reels) but chose to shelve it in favour of a mix that used the shorter single versions in their place. As someone else mentioned, the tracks from 'Child Is Father To The Man' will be different from the ones on the AF SACD released a couple of years ago because those were 5.1 remixes done by Al Kooper and the ones on the greatest hits are vintage quad mixes done by Mike Fusaro along with the rest of the album. Interestingly, BS&T Greatest Hits is the only album that Fusaro got a quad remix credit for, but you have to assume he did the quad mix of 'II' as well given that the tracks from II on Greatest Hits are the same mixes.

Probably of less interest to us but I assume the stereo layer of the Greatest Hits SACD will contain the single edits of the songs from BS&T II, which will mean it's the first time they've been issued, as the stereo layers of all the previous reissues of BS&T II used the correct album mixes of the tracks.

Regarding Loggins & Messina's 'Full Sail', thanks to the help of some QQ members it looks like we've deduced that the initial pressings of the vinyl (incorrectly) credited only Al Lawrence (supervision) and Larry Keyes (remix) for this album, but later added Alex Kazanegras to both credits.

I believe this album was basically a 'quad handover' album - in an interview in 1975, Al Lawrence (who was CBS's 'Head Of Quadraphonic A&R') spoke of trying to convince bands to 'record in quad', ie have the original engineers do both the stereo and quad mixes rather than having one of their in-house guys (Larry Keyes, Don Young, etc.) do the quad mix after the fact. So I believe that Lawrence and Keyes assisted/instructed Kazenegras (who was L&M's main engineer) on the finer points of quad mixing, the two of them having done the quad mix of the self-titled L&M album the year before. You can see a similar pattern repeated with the Santana quad mixes - Lawrence and Keyes did the quad mixes of the first three albums, and then Keyes supervised Glen Kolotkin (Santana's engineer) for the remix of Caravanserai, and then Kolotkin did the quad mixes of the subsequent Santana albums (Welcome, Borboletta) on his own. The same happened with Kazanegras, who did the only subsequent L&M quad mix (Native Sons, in 1975) on his own.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the release of Full Sail augurs well for the unearthing of more missing/lost quad mixes, because when AF put out the quad mix of the self-titled Loggins & Messina album they said it was the only L&M quad mix Sony could find in their vaults. At the risk of sounding like a broken record (no pun intended, ha ha) when labels (especially enormous conglomerates like Sony) can't find something in their vaults it's infinitely more likely that it's just lost (either poorly catalogued or uncatalogued in a huge warehouse with a million other tapes) rather than having actually been stolen or destroyed. I hope that AF and other reissue labels like Vocalion continue to prove this theory of mine correct in the months and years to come.

Well, GOS, if Full Sail isn't in QUAD then someone over at Audio Fidelity is going to walk the plank!

Full Sail is absolutely positively 4 channel, no loudness, pristine clear and delicate quadraphonic 4.0, glorious.

Baggy very lukewarm about Full Sail, after one stereo listen. Sometimes a great surround mix can change all that, but...
meh

Because of the Island/Sailing themes, I decided to try Love Beach, by ELP for the first time - supposedly another meh album.

By comparison I loved Love Beach! :confused: Not a great ELP record, but not a bad record, generally! (y)

Full Sail is absolutely positively 4 channel, no loudness, pristine clear and delicate quadraphonic 4.0, glorious.
SWEET!!!!! You know that's one of my faves of quad or stereo of all time. A MUST buy for me!

BST too.

Baggy very lukewarm about Full Sail, after one stereo listen. Sometimes a great surround mix can change all that, but...
meh

Because of the Island/Sailing themes, I decided to try Love Beach, by ELP for the first time - supposedly another meh album.

By comparison I loved Love Beach! :confused: Not a great ELP record, but not a bad record, generally! (y)

Full Sail is one of the best quad mixes IMO.

All you dudes with first hand knowledge....I appreciate the positive comments. This is now a must buy for me. But hey, no stretch cause I love early to mid 70s Rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will buy BS&T for nostalgia reasons, but Full Sail is this guy's pick for musical quality!

Very good news! It sounds like you have heard an early test of it! I had not given up on that one being located at some point, like the tapes found at a mastering facility or overseas office of Columbia Records.

I hope we hear of how these master tapes were found after first try was not successful. Sony Japan was my first thought.

I saw L&M on the tour for Full Sail, so it's a special title for me. I'm buying it for sure.

Yikes, indeed! Where did you find this picture?
I will also not buy this disc if it is stereo-only, but at least that gives me more money I can put towards "Full Sail".
This was originally a Quadraphonic title, so I'm puzzled as to why this SACD is not following suit. :( :mad: :violin

It's on the elusive site. And I also got it in a e-mail.

Looks like we're safe with Full Sail.

fullsail.jpg

It's on the elusive site. And I also get it in a e-mail.

Thanks. Looks like that's definitely true, but then so is this:

AFSAM243-Large.jpg

Coming July 15, 2016 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!

Numbered, Limited Edition Hybrid 4.0 Multichannel SACD!

Though Loggins & Messina’s first greatest hits collection was called Best of Friends, both men confess that their relationship has long been a complex and sometimes difficult one. When they first met, Jimmy Messina was already a well-established success story, having produced and played with the legendary band Buffalo Springfield and later with the country-rock pioneers Poco. Loggins, meanwhile, was a young singer-songwriter with far less experience, but with talent to burn as evidenced by early compositions like “House At Pooh Corner” and “Danny’s Song.” Then Sittin’ In (1971), originally envisioned as a one-off joint release intended to introduce Loggins as part of a Messina six-album production deal with Columbia Records, became a major smash hit.

So, by public demand, this accidental duo was created. In the next few years, a series of albums would follow in rapid order – 1972’s Loggins & Messina, 1973’s Full Sail, 1974’s double-live On Stage, the same year’s Mother Lode, 1975’s cover song set So Fine and 1976’s Native Sons. The Best of Friends collection followed later that year and in 1977 another live album fittingly called Finale.

The third album from the duo of Loggins and Messina was released in 1973 and reached number 10 on the Pop Charts.

Features:
• Super Audio CD
• SACD 4.0 Multi-Channel SACD Layer
• SACD Stereo SACD Layer
• This Hybrid SACD contains a 'Red Book' Stereo CD Layer which is playable on most conventional CD Players!
• Numbered, Limited Edition

Selections:
1. Lahaina
2. Travelin' Blues
3. My Music
4. A Love Song
5. You Need A Man
6. Coming To You
7. Watching The River Run
8. Pathway To Glory
9. Didn't I Know You When
10. Sailin' The Wind

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Kenny-Lo...lti-Channel-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/AFSAM243/

:) :banana: :music

The image for Blood Sweat & Tears 'Greatest Hits' shows it in a gold slipcase. Audio Fidelity seems to "code" their SACD hybrid stereo releases with gold slipcases.
Their "code" for multichannel seems to be a silver slipcase (with the exception of Bob Dylan - Live & Alice Cooper - Muscle).

The image for Full Sail shows a silver slip case with copy indicating "a multichannel mix in SACD". It does not however show the red circle commonly placed on the upper left indicating a Quad or 5.1 mix.

--Greg

Very good news! It sounds like you have heard an early test of it! I had not given up on that one being located at some point, like the tapes found at a mastering facility or overseas office of Columbia Records.

Yes, the Full Sail Quad Master Tapes were found in the Sony Music vaults after further searching.
They will be used in the upcoming Multichannel SACD release of Full Sail.

Definitely one I have been asking for since the beginning of the Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD effort. :)

Back