Lou Dorren: A new CD-4 Demodulator!!! [ARCHIVE]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That may be so, but aren't these cartridges rather expensive compared to the AT at $125.00? And if said cartridge works, it's an inexpensive alternative. A lot of us quaddies could not afford a $500.00 cartridge, but definitely couldn't afford the replacement stylii. I can, but what's the point unless it can demonstrate that it really makes the music sound better. It probably could, but would it be THAT much better? AT is a decent cart.

I don't have said, that MC cartridges are a must, but it is an alternative. Of course those, which ist most some more expensive. But often forgotten by discussions about cartridges. The special point was the asking about the capacity by turntables, which is only a point by MM-systems. And with MC-systems one is most on the safety side. But I know also some Q-fans, which are working with the MM system AT 20sLa and have well results. Each must self think about the money, he likes or can invest in his hobby.

Hi Lou,
Sign be up for a new CD-4 decoder ....YES !!!
New member here and I just recently bought my 1st cd-4 decoder...
Better late than never.
SE-405...by national panasonic.nothing fancy , sounds like it needs new caps.
Getting a Sony 2020 SQ decoder and a Sansui QS-1 synthiser.(E-BAY)
Any chance youll be making a new version of SQ?
Thanks for the site
Phil

I handle the pre-order list for Lou. I've read your message and would appreciate you visit:
QuadraphonicQuad Forums > Legacy MultiChannel Sound & Systems > Discrete LP Formats (CD-4,UD-4) Lou Dorren's QQ CD-4 Demodulator: Pre-Order List

and indicate your interest there. We try to keep pre-order information there and not on this board. Otherwise it gets kinda confusion. I'm sure you and others will be quite happy when the demodulators are available.

Thanks
Mike :)

Hello Lou,

i would like to let you know, that the QSI record cleaning set
has arived yesterday, thanks.
Could you please let me know how to handle it, because there was
no Instruction manual.
Should i use it with my vacuum record cleaning machine, ore should i
just have to wipe it over my CD4 Records ?
What are the little brushes for ?
Thank you for your awnser

Norman

Hi Lou!

Can you give us a time frame of the ETA for testing of the beta unit and when you think the production run will commence? With the advent of the new Oppo blu ray player its going to be tough to make both of these purchases in this economy. Better to have the new demodulator available while most of us are still employed!
Thanks
Jeff

Does anyone use the Technics SL-1200-MkII turntable for CD-4??? I ask because that's the turntable I have, but its cables are non-replaceable - so, I can't put in 'low-capacitance' cables - if that's a problem, I'll have to find a Panasonic 405 semiconductor cartridge since semiconductor cartridges are absolutely insensitive to cable capacitance (that's why Panasonic used them) - I have the Technics SH-400 CD-4 demodulator and a Panasonic SE-405H. I've had the Technics demodulator for years now, R. Scott Varner gave it to me as a b-day present in 2002, but I haven't gotten a suitable stylus for it yet - he also gave me pristine Japanese CD-4 LP's of the soundtracks to "Earthquake", "Jaws" and "The Poseidon Adventure" and I've not yet gotten to hear them in quad! (Earthquake is my favorite movie of all time) The nice thing about the CD-4 LP's of both Earthquake and Jaws is they are the ORIGINAL recordings of the music heard in the film, NOT the soundtrack "re-recordings" done for the "original soundtrack album" heard in the American LP/CD releases. Apparently, John Williams felt rushed on both recordings so he re-recorded them when it came time to release the original motion picture soundtracks.

Does anyone use the Technics SL-1200-MkII turntable for CD-4??? I ask because that's the turntable I have, but its cables are non-replaceable - so, I can't put in 'low-capacitance' cables - if that's a problem, I'll have to find a Panasonic 405 semiconductor cartridge since semiconductor cartridges are absolutely insensitive to cable capacitance (that's why Panasonic used them) - I have the Technics SH-400 CD-4 demodulator and a Panasonic SE-405H. I've had the Technics demodulator for years now, R. Scott Varner gave it to me as a b-day present in 2002, but I haven't gotten a suitable stylus for it yet - he also gave me pristine Japanese CD-4 LP's of the soundtracks to "Earthquake", "Jaws" and "The Poseidon Adventure" and I've not yet gotten to hear them in quad! (Earthquake is my favorite movie of all time) The nice thing about the CD-4 LP's of both Earthquake and Jaws is they are the ORIGINAL recordings of the music heard in the film, NOT the soundtrack "re-recordings" done for the "original soundtrack album" heard in the American LP/CD releases. Apparently, John Williams felt rushed on both recordings so he re-recorded them when it came time to release the original motion picture soundtracks.

I use it with an Audio Technica AT15Sa and a Marantz CD400 demodulator and it works just fine. It might be better with low capacitance cables but I think it sounds great just the way it is.

THANKS! I'm glad to hear it works fine - is that AT cartridge the one everyone raves about that is also low cost?

Great cartridge - yes! (y) Low cost? - Ixnay! :eek:

Unless, of course, you would happen to stumble into a deal like I did with my Panasonic EPC 450C-II that I got for the equivalent of about 25 bucks including a new stylus. :sun :banana: :D

I guess it depends on your definition of low cost though. :D

Edit: Oops, back on topic: Lou's new demodulator WILL support semiconductor cartridges such as the Panasonic/ Technics ones.

Doug

Nice gift!

I owned a copy of the Jaws Soundtrack in CD-4 in the '70s. It's one of the best CD-4 discs from Japan. Definitely one to try when you are all set up !

I had the Earthquake CD-4 as well. Fun but not in the same league as Jaws in Quad as I recall.

Does anyone use the Technics SL-1200-MkII turntable for CD-4??? I ask because that's the turntable I have, but its cables are non-replaceable - so, I can't put in 'low-capacitance' cables - if that's a problem,

Off topic but possibly helpful.

KAB has some mods for the SL-1200-MKII wiring. Possibly they can put low
capacitance cables in for you or you could do it yourself.
http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

vinylguy4

Hello QQ Quadraphoniers,

To Quote the late Paul Harvy "Stand by for news"

After much engineering, test and evaluation the preproduction prototype circuit board is now being manufactured. I am very satisfied with the design and this should be the last pass. This means that once assembled and tested the prototype sample will be on the way to Jon.

The final package looks great and I believe every body should be happy with the looks and the performance.

Norman,

send me your email address and I will send you the manual.

Anybody that has found 450 or 451 cartridges you have a great CD-4 cartridge. The new demodulator supports this cartridge.

Disclord,
The cables that come with the Technics 1200 turntables are perfect for CD-4. This includes MM and MC cartridges. The 450 and 451 cartridges have a load resistance of 2KOhms which allows even high capacity cable to work.

Bob Romano,
AT15s is also a great CD-4 cartridge.

surroundophile,

1 year

Thanks for everyones participation on this project. The features of the new demodulator are from all of the great input from all of you.

Until nextime .... Audios, Radios, and Videos,

Lou Dorren

Does anyone use the Technics SL-1200-MkII turntable for CD-4??? I ask because that's the turntable I have, but its cables are non-replaceable - so, I can't put in 'low-capacitance' cables - ...

Youtube has a video showing how to replace the cable on the SL1200. Blue Jeans cable sells a high quality, low price, low cap cable.

Hello Sbax,

You do not need to change the cables on the 1200 mK2, They will work well with MC, MM, and semiconductor cartridges for CD-4.

Lou Dorren

Hello Lou, congraculations also from overseas (Germany) for finishing the big work. So we have finally the possibility to install new electronic in our quadraphonic rack which is together also the most important. Now we look to Jon to read his test report, which I will then announce to our fans here - especially those with pre-order.

Dietrich

Back