Lou Dorren: A new CD-4 Demodulator!!! [ARCHIVE]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding (distant) future (DIY) availability of the
2009 CD-4 Demodulator:

Are there any plans to make the parts list, DSP code,
circuit board images (with suitable resolution) etc.
available for download (perhaps with a nominal fee
to help support the web site containing the
downloadable material) so that several years from now,
someone can build their own CD-4 Demodulator?

Kirk Bayne
http://avdtv.tripod.com

Hi, all, here is a picture of Lou in Berlin ca 1973. It is from Swedish magazine Radio & Television issue #10 1973. Probably taken at that years Funkschau.

Best regards
Rolv-karsten

Attachments

• Lou Dorren Berlin 1973.jpg
    Lou Dorren Berlin 1973.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 307
Darn! I just sunk a bunch of dough on a new blue ray player (the oppo). Now I have to buy a demodulator also so soon? Well, I guess I'll have to choke on it. I did sign up for it, and I won't break my committment. especially so late in the game. Still, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Yay!

Darn! I just sunk a bunch of dough on a new blue ray player (the oppo). Now I have to buy a demodulator also so soon? Well, I guess I'll have to choke on it. I did sign up for it, and I won't break my committment. especially so late in the game. Still, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Yay!
Quadfather, you don't want your grandchildren to ask you: where were you when the Dorren demod was available?

That won't be a problem, I'll still buy the demod. When I put my name on the list, things weren't quite as tight. Now the economy has gotten worse and some of my tenants had to be evicted. That's a big chunk of money not coming in. But things will get better, and I hope to have a better cash flow by the time the demod is actually availlable. With the snail's pace of development, I'll be ready when it is released.

The Quadfather

Hello Quads,

Here is a whistle wetter for all of you. One layer of the new CD-4 Demodulator printed circuit board.

Dream and enjoy,

Lou Dorren

Attachments

• cd-4pcb.jpg
    cd-4pcb.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 352
One layer? Just how many layers are there? Multi layer boards are difficult to service and sometimes fail in ways that cannot be repaired. But having circuit tracings on both sides of the board is OK, as long as there are none inside the board. That is if the connections are plated through and not relying on rivets or pins for connection from one side of the board to the other.

Hello Lou,
after some announcements from you, that the Demodulator will be shortly on the way to Jon or the test will come soon, we have waited further weaks or monthes for real results and have seen only schematics.

Of course, it is your idea and working, but I have made also propaganda in our circle of the Quadro Action, so that there was made pre orders for 18 items. Meanwhile I feel for me a bad situation in hinsight of credibility. A few already says, that they don't think, that the Demodulator will be in a foreseeable future reality. May be, that even few don't make a real order after their first pre-order.

To show, that now is the time for clearness I will write here a few steps of the developments from past to now:

29 December 2007: We could read in the QQ forum with enthusiasm your message about a new demodualtor.

2008: Accross this year we have got some very interesting messages and schematics from you about the progress by the modern measurement methodes and the astonishing improvements of technical values by demodualtion.

1 February 2009: We could read the message, that the first prototype will be send to Jon. Later we have heard, that there have been difficulties with programming one chip.

11 March 2009: Among others, you have answered me, that you could not say exactly when the test report is ready, but it will be soon.

30 April 2009: The message was: After much engineering the protoype is now beeing manufactured and after tested it will be on the way to Jon.

2 May 2009: I and a few other fans wrote congrulations to you for the well finishing of the great work.

11 June 2009: You have shown in the forum only a shematic of one circuit board. Till now we have not seen a photographic picture from the whole protoyp, which must already be finished.

Alltogether: After so long waiting it is not a wonder, when the CD-4 fans says: Where is the item? We all have respect, when your main job is harder as before thought, but we must have nevertheless clearity. Or is the protoyp ready since weaks and the front-back separation is so fantastic, that you will always listen only self this wonderfull sound? Or is the Demodulator meanwhile really by Jon and also he is so fascinated, that he has no time to write the test report?

I am really convinced, that you are the only one (with merits from the 70's like the 4-channel broadcast system Quadracast, then developements for the SH-400 IC chip, the CD-4 test record and the report and construction manuals for a self built Demodulator in a technical magazine 1975. But now the Demodulator project shall not have any damaging through any delays, because we quadraphonic and especially CD-4 fans need the demodulator really.

And also for you the settlement of the project (and handing-over to a little technial manufactory for the mass production) will have advantages, which means more time for your main job and more time of your recovery or for listen unstressed best CD-4.

With this message I don't really want to annoying you. It is only our strong interess for your new Demodulator and our impatience to get them. And I need even two. You have made us hot for this real gift, even if payable, and we feel now as children, which can't wait for the opening of Christmas presents.

Sincerely

Dietrich

One layer? Just how many layers are there? Multi layer boards are difficult to service and sometimes fail in ways that cannot be repaired. But having circuit tracings on both sides of the board is OK, as long as there are none inside the board. That is if the connections are plated through and not relying on rivets or pins for connection from one side of the board to the other.

Are there not some DSPs involved here? If I remember that correctly from earlier posts, it is a good thing to have these on at least four layer boards, with ground and +3.3 Volt (or whatever these chips are powered from) at the inner layers.
On the other hand, the analogue part with RIAA correction and all that should not have ground plane contaminated with noise from digital circuits.

RK

Hello CD-4ers,

Quadro-Action,

Dietrich, This project was one that I decided to undertake because of my interest in seeing how a 37 year advanced technology would improve the performance of a CD-4 demodulator. When I indicated to this forum that I was investigating the possibility of of producing a demodulator, I asked for a list of people that would be interested in getting one.

The list comes to nearly 100 people and I proceeded on the project.
In doing this project I have done most of the work myself because I could not justify using my usual resources on this project to keep the overhead in line. If I had used these I would have to build at least 2000 units which did not make any sense. I have used my mechanical engineer and my PCB layout engineer to take care of those parts of the project. I did most of the bench test of the various circuits. All of this was to stay in a cost to the QQ people of $510.00.

In addition I have been evaluating CD-4 cartridges to get the best performing one to give great CD-4 performance. I am also writing the user and service manuals for the unit. This is not a small project!!

As I am sure you realize I still have two companies to run so that I can do these special projects. During the CD-4 project I was designing the new line of Digital Audio Workstations for my hardware company and working on 5 new artists with my record company.

I understand that everyone is chopping at the bit to get the New QQ CD-4 demodulator and I can guarantee nobody will be disappointed when they do.

Lou Dorren

Lou, I am sure that most of us understand that this has been a labour of love for you, rather than a business venture. For this we are truly grateful. It is unfortunate that a previous poster chose to use such an aggressive tone. I apologize for this, and I know that most QQ members do not feel that way. I look forward to getting my demodulator, and I appreciate that you are doing your very best to bring us a state of the art device for our quad systems. Please don't take it to heart. You are appreciated, I can assure you of that.

Yeah guys, easy on Lou, huh? I mean, what other options do you have? It's not like you're going to go to Best Buy and pick up a JVC! :D

Back