Lou Dorren: A new CD-4 Demodulator!!! [ARCHIVE]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i bought stuff from his ebay handle earlier this year...and the record cleaner arrived just fine...I did think it a little strange that he hasn't left feedback for his buyers on ebay for over 2 years...but as far as selling stuff and sending it out earlier this year there was no problems....

yes 5 years or more is rather a long time to be talking about something that is supposedly nearly ready..

I think you can only hold hope for so long. I have to say that when I see it, I'll believe it. Currently, I doubt it will happen. But it doesn't matter, my 4dd5 does a splendid job, including my cartridge which isn't supposed to work for CD-4. Maybe Jeanie can make it appear!

The Quadfather

Being that nobody I know who knows Mr Dorren has heard from him in over a year, I hope that he hasn't been sick or injured.

I had email from Lou on January 28 2012 telling me he was sending me the printed manual for the records cleaner I bought.
And I did receive it.

Seems a lot of folks have the 4dd5. Would it be better than than the built in decoder of the Sansui 9001? (after Holy Grail align)

From what I have read, the decoder of the Sansui 9001 is the ultimate.
But only in that receiver, the Sansui standalones are not the same.

Yes, I too have heard that the 9001 is bested only by the Tate, but thought i would ask them who have heard other decoders, as i have not. I did go through a phase where i collected decoders in anticipation of a quad setup, but all I have left now is the 9001 and have yet to set up a proper quad system. Have been collecting lp's as well, and also have a Marantz 4400, (no cd-4) and many quad preamps. Now toying with the idea to send the 9001 off for a full restoration wondering if if I am pissin up a rope or not. Uncertain if the decoder in the 9001 has proprietary unobtanium in it, but understand it can be jerked out for a stand alone decoder. (by what i have read) how this may or may not partain to the Dorren decoder , I dunno. My thought on that is to plug it in to the bottom of my Marantz 4400 where the sq decoder goes, so I can switch it on from the front. It will show up, and I dont care when because I also wait in anticipation of the 3-d audio, (pure stereo) from Edgar Choueiri .
Anyone seen it? SCOPE it out here: https://www.princeton.edu/3D3A/index.html

I'm going to have to try to either get my Panasonic SE-405 fixed or try to find another as it looks as though this has fallen by the wayside.
Unfortunately, by the time it does get rolled out, if it does...
Most of us won't be affording it. :(

Jon, I wish you would close this thread and archive it. If Lou Dorren can't even respond with a post here its obvious no new demodulator is coming and it appears he doesn't care. This thread will only confuse newcomers who think they can get on the order list. Any member here who is selling CD-4s on ebay with the tagline new decoder coming soon is unfortunately now making a misrepresentation to the public. Pretty sad that its come to this after 5 years.

Guys,

As you know, I have no control over this demodulator and it's arrival. I heard from Lou about a month ago and he said he was preparing to ship out an evaluation unit. However, as I've said before, this is something he is doing on his own, and I am only able to tell you what I know and what I hear from him.

He hasn't spoken to me since then, but as far as I know, he is still proceding with the project. As far as I know, he has not collected anything from anyone with regards to money, and any transactions that will occur will be between he and the purchaser. It is a shame and understandable that from the time this project was announced and now, many people can no longer afford the expendature. It's a sign of the times.

This is not a Quadraphonic Quad Forum project. QQ has no say or control of this project, QQ is not in the money loop in any way, shape, or form, now and in the future, the forum (or me) will make no money off of these if they materialize, we are merely the messenger.

And as they say, "Don't shoot the messenger!" :)

Hey JON,

Thank you so much for your reply...I am at least somewhat encouraged you have communicated with Lou within the last month...Of course none of us hold you or QQ responsible for anything. I for one am glad you responded. Please, next time you talk to Lou please convey there are many of us who are still very interested (chomping at the bit really) to buy his demod. I had (3) sh-400's that I sold because I so want the new Dorren demod. I sure am willing to wait if it still looks like its going to happen. I know he is busy as a recording engineer..(being one myself I totally understand)..Just let him know we sure want his new box bad!!
Warmest Regards,
Mike in Nashville

jefe1 had legitimate concerns. No reason not to. Time will tell. Surely, it did not hurt to ask!

Back