Lynyrd Skynyrd Hits Package with Elliott Scheiner 5.1 Mix on DVDA!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to go to Oxnard, calif for work today and took the oportunity to look in the new Walmart there. No luck. I even had a clerk look in their computer to see if they had some coming. Interesting that while they show the upcoming new album that you can preorder, there was no listing for this Skynyrd package. This must be the most limited Walmart exclusive release ever. If this is test marketing a product, this is crazy. I beleive these are going to become rarer than Sketches of Spain!
At least on the drive down I got to enjoy the stereo cd in the car and hear Sweet Home Alabama!

I tried 2 different Walmarts today in NW CT - no luck either. The music departments (department being an overstatement), are in very sad shape - I need a drink (and a shower) after my visits :(
I hit those 2 stores last week. Nothing. BTW, there are now 4 sellers on e bay. One of them has 4 copies to sell.
Phil.

I wouldn't have thought that in 2012 ebay resellers can make money from a DVD-audio album after some days of its release.

Of course they can, since it seems to be a USA-only exclusive, which pretty much means the rest of the world's Skynyrd/DVD-A fans have to find some way to snag it. Opportunistic, perhaps, but that's the way the world works. It's free enterprise if you're the seller, not so free if you're the buyer. Sigh....

ED :)

Well, after striking out at no less than 4 Wal-Marts in North San Diego County (all within a 10-mile radius... tells you something, donut?), I pulled the trigger on a ePay for $28 BIN + free shipping. Photo clearly shows the "Wal-Mart Exclusive" sticker on the packaging...

Save Money, Live Better my sweet ever-lovin' ass...

Kudos to the OP for the heads up on this. I ordered from Wal Mart online and it came in yesterday. Haven't had a chance to give a listen yet, but first thing I did was look for "DVD Audio" and sure enough. Thought I'd never see a price this low on anything surround! :yikes ....and from Wal Mart no less.

I found copies in the Wall township NJ store...2 and bought both. I found it by using the upc number and having them punch it in...they can tell you if any WM stores near by that has it in stock.

I went to the Martinez, CA Walmart today. Never been in a Walmart before. What a freaking depressing store full of overpriced crap. So drab it makes Kmart or Target look Chic. First noticed a long line next to the front door with folks returning a load of stuff. Why even shop there then?

Can't imagine anyone buying music (or anything) in such a place. I had to walk a LONG way just to enter the box, and then wondered around, trying to find my way. The store aisles and selves were jammed haphazardly with one item that didn't make sense with the other. The store is dirty. Just to find the so called "music" section waaayyy in the back of the store was an ordeal. Folks lost, running into each other with their carts in the cramped space. Finally, found what consisted of less than 6' of small CD space on one side and on the other. Pitiful section. Depressing. No wonder folks do not buy music like they used to.

Saw a few music videos (DVD-V) titles in "DVD-Audio" style packaging, like Santana mixed in. Sort of like the record companies were saying, "See what we could give you, and used to? But we're jerks and will not." Anyway, I soldiered on and checked in the "L" section and did not find any. Really, really looked at everything, what was there. Went back to the "L" section again and dug deep. Found some. So they are there. Keep trying. But a very unpleasant experience. Oh yes, just try to leave the place with their very long, slow motion check-out lines.

I do like the packaging of this title, price and that one gets 3 discs of High Quality. If the record companies would be consistent with low price, packaging, quality and "where to buy" we would all be good. Even if it meant going back to that awful, horrid place.

Other than that, my day went well. :eek:

I went to the Martinez, CA Walmart today. Never been in a Walmart before. What a freaking depressing store full of overpriced crap. So drab it makes Kmart or Target look Chic. First noticed a long line next to the front door with folks returning a load of stuff. Why even shop there then?

Can't imagine anyone buying music (or anything) in such a place. I had to walk a LONG way just to enter the box, and then wondered around, trying to find my way. The store aisles and selves were jammed haphazardly with one item that didn't make sense with the other. The store is dirty. Just to find the so called "music" section waaayyy in the back of the store was an ordeal. Folks lost, running into each other with their carts in the cramped space. Finally, found what consisted of less than 6' of small CD space on one side and on the other. Pitiful section. Depressing. No wonder folks do not buy music like they used to.

Saw a few music videos (DVD-V) titles in "DVD-Audio" style packaging, like Santana mixed in. Sort of like the record companies were saying, "See what we could give you, and used to? But we're jerks and will not." Anyway, I soldiered on and checked in the "L" section and did not find any. Really, really looked at everything, what was there. Went back to the "L" section again and dug deep. Found some. So they are there. Keep trying. But a very unpleasant experience. Oh yes, just try to leave the place with their very long, slow motion check-out lines.

I do like the packaging of this title, price and that one gets 3 discs of High Quality. If the record companies would be consistent with low price, packaging, quality and "where to buy" we would all be good. Even if it meant going back to that awful, horrid place.

Other than that, my day went well. :eek:

hearing your horror story makes me thankful we still have HMV here in the UK.

despite HMV being on the ropes financially for the last few years, they have managed to cling on and are now the only music retail chain left in this country.

they are not perfect (they never were! and their Hi-Rez offerings were always haphazard) but their stores are pretty well kept places, with even their smaller stores still having distinct departments (or sections in their small-scale shops) for different musical genres. far from the dirty, poorly run sounding Walmart.

if/when they ever finally go to the wall, I think that will spell the end for physical CDs in the UK. the supermarket alternative here is about as dire as the Walmart experience sounds, crappy - just without the dirt!

OQG - you think Wal-Mart is bad? Have you been in a K-Mart lately (by which I mean, the last 30 years)? Talk about low-rent. Merchandising racks from the 1970s, crap everywhere from people who let their kids run wild, a filthy "food" area and employees who really would appreciate it if you'd just leave, thank you. :p

Yours must have come in a different package then mine. The one I got has 3 disks waiting to get scratched by cardboard.

True. But once I got the DVD-A out, I put it in a plastic slim case and then the whole package as one would in a plastic protector bag. Do believe this packaging should be simple enough where there should be no excuse not release titles do to cost. It's cheap and simple and 3 discs fit in the space as one. Would prefer the SACD or CD type ones with unbreakable spindles holding disc. But some of the poorly designed cheap spindles packs can break and the pieces scratch the disc all up, and pieces fall out once opened.

Yes, Kmart is in the same league as Walmart, another poorly run business with similar issues. The city counsel here is talking about just tearing down the building Kmart built in the 70s and replacing it with housing. When it first opened, it had more variety, quality, more stuff made in the U.S., and was a completely different experience. Now that store, like Walmart, is dirty and has little to buy, with that "thrift store" vibe going on and long lines in slow motion. Will be glad to see it go.

Safeway just opened a larger store and the experience so far does not seem bad. Their focus seems sharp. A nice variety of food items, their focus on food, clean and well run for what it is. Their DVD/BR section is small but easy to find in the front. Prefer buying food at Trader Joe's, although if one is trying to save money, not one store has it all anyway.

Bland Walmart, trying to be all things to everyone, because of their business practices and just how they're run day to day, seems to be nothing to nobody.

Yes, Kmart is in the same league as Walmart, another poorly run business with similar issues. The city counsel here is talking about just tearing down the building Kmart built in the 70s and replacing it with housing. When it first opened, it had more variety, quality, more stuff made in the U.S., and was a completely different experience. Now that store, like Walmart, is dirty and has little to buy, with that "thrift store" vibe going on and long lines in slow motion. Will be glad to see it go.

A city nearby me did just that a couple of years back. They razed the abandoned K-Mart and split the parcel between medium-density housing and a Lowe's, which is a marked improvement for the area, to say the least. There's no one pissing on the side of the Lowe's, for one thing.

I realize this is veering waaaaaay off-topic, but if you've been to a Sears lately, the same thing is happening. It's been infected by its common K-Mart management. The only good department left is the tool section... and I can now buy those at my local Ace hardware.

Every time I head to the electronics department at walmart which is where the music is I smell something burning. Whenever I heard an announcement I thought it was an evacuation notice. The cd sections I visited were pitiful. Very sad.
Phil.

I went to the Bellingham Wa Wallmart yesterday as that is the closest one for me(cross border trip to the USA) and no luck all they had was some other Lynyrd Skynyrd hits package.
Knew it was a long shot as its not a very big Walmart but gave it a shot to see if I could find one.

peter

I checked this same store yesterday, still nothing.

I'll have to wait unto my next trip to Seattle in mid September and hope there are still a few floating around.

Last edited:
As of 5:00 PM PST, they're still in stock online at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21289895

Also, according to peter (thanks peter) if one is near the border, you can still go for a try:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...OF-USA-Members&p=157474&viewfull=1#post157474

For those from Canada or Mexico and have a Walmart within driving distance another choice is to order from walmart.com and put in that you will pickup at store from USA near you and it allows you to make the order. I just tried it and it let me put the order in so will wait and see if it actually works.

I didn't have to specify anything as I just did the sign up as new member(only did email address) and it said zip code was optional(I didn't put in then). Then when it came to completing order put in pick up at store and it only asked me for a payment which I then used paypal. I was surprised that this all worked but it let me order it so as i said will see if it actually arrives at store etc but thought I would give it a shot.

peter

EDIT: Also, try this. I did not log-in, but where it said "My Store" I put in location to pick up. Then went to buy as described above. I did give an e-mail and log-in, but clicked "Continue as guest." After a few clicks you get to the payment and go with Paypal. You also have to enter a name who will pick-up and your email address again before the payment page. Anyway, did not even have to put in a Zip code because I put my store in first.

Back