Marillion 18 , new album in surround on blu ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Marillion is working on their 18th album, which is yet untitled. The new album will be released on blu ray with a 5.1 mix, hi res stereo, instrumentals and more. This is great news. As of now, the bd will not be available as a stand alone version, only as part of an expensive box. Maybe later a stand alone will emerge.

https://marillion.pmstores.co/
http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/marillion

Super limited Edition Box Set. Signed by the band – Contains album on CD, vinyl and a Blu-ray containing a making of the album film, 5.1 mix of the album, 96k mix of the album, rough demos, instrumental versions and visuals to accompany the album – all presented in a 180 page 12" × 12" art book with exclusive artwork and name in credits list for boxset pledgers only. A lyric and chord booklet and Marillion plectrums.

Orders must be placed by 1st December 2015 for names to be included

Price includes postage & packaging.

image.jpg

the band has some nice albums out. Myself I am not such a huge fan to pay over €200,00 for a blu rasy. BTW, on pledgemusic some discussion has already started about the blu ray being availableonly in the box.

Perhaps, if enough people will comment a stand alone will be released. Keep dreaming :)

WTF :howl

CD/LP/Blu-ray Deluxe Set

they belong tarred and fitted with springs, why so often this constellation with LP?

Wasn't impressed enough with the other two 5.1 Blu-ray's they did so I won't be getting this, especially not as part of a big pricey set with an LP I'll probably never play, a book I'll never read and plectrums and chord booklet I can't use!! Have these people learned nothing!? Have they ever visited this board? People who are into their surround music HATE these boxes filled with extraneous SHIT just to get one surround disc..!!!!!! :mad:

We can only ignore the box.
So the band can learn!
Marillion has always been shrewd with their ways to generate $$$, and stay viable as a band, but who's making the call for no standalone BR? Rubbish. I would absolutely and immediately give them my money for this. STAT!

There are currently debates raging about this on the Marillion forum.

Started by a very good post by someone:

Sadly my favourite band has now plunged to the depths of shameless profiteering;

Like many others, I'd like to get hold of an HD blu ray copy of the new album, but to do this I need to spend £160 to get it alongside a vinyl lp I'll never play and a cd that'd be rendered redundant by the blu ray.

Why is there no standalone BR option? (Heck, surely one more option to the plenty already there wouldn't hurt)

Some recent examples of other bands not taking the Mickey;

Opeths last album CD + BR : £12
Steven Wilsons last album BR : £14
Yes BR reissues : £16 each
Simple Minds BR reissue : £14
Etc, etc

Marillion rightly claim to have invented the crowd funding idea, now they run the risk of inventing the new 'absolutely ripping the long term fans' idea.

All from a band that talks up it's 'all inclusive family of fans'

A representative from the band (I think) has replied as follows:

Leave it with me and I'll see if I can find a way to appease the 5.1 lovers and keep the exclusivity of the boxsets.

I'm sure we can come up with something.

Hopefully this will end in a good way.

There are currently debates raging about this on the Marillion forum.

Started by a very good post by someone:

Sadly my favourite band has now plunged to the depths of shameless profiteering;

Like many others, I'd like to get hold of an HD blu ray copy of the new album, but to do this I need to spend £160 to get it alongside a vinyl lp I'll never play and a cd that'd be rendered redundant by the blu ray.

Why is there no standalone BR option? (Heck, surely one more option to the plenty already there wouldn't hurt)

Some recent examples of other bands not taking the Mickey;

Opeths last album CD + BR : £12
Steven Wilsons last album BR : £14
Yes BR reissues : £16 each
Simple Minds BR reissue : £14
Etc, etc

Marillion rightly claim to have invented the crowd funding idea, now they run the risk of inventing the new 'absolutely ripping the long term fans' idea.

All from a band that talks up it's 'all inclusive family of fans'

A representative from the band (I think) has replied as follows:

Leave it with me and I'll see if I can find a way to appease the 5.1 lovers and keep the exclusivity of the boxsets.

I'm sure we can come up with something.

Hopefully this will end in a good way.

Thank you! (y)

Despite my whinging about their other BD's if they release a standalone BD I will get it to support their 5.1 thing.. if they persist with the box set approach no way Jo-Say..!!

The pre-order for this is open now. No specifics on exact 5.1 formats other than "48k DTS on DVD" and "96k DTS on BluRay." The price of the DVD and BluRay editions are "steep" and "stupidly, horribly steep" respectively. I'm not fan enough to go there. :(

:(
How did I miss this band growing up? I might have thought they were Genesis, if I heard them playing. Some songs from Jester and Childhood feel vaguely familiar.
What Classic prog singer does the new guy sound like?
;)
albeit i wasn't fan but they have been quite famous back in 80's. at least in Europe.
at about same time there were another band, Eloy, much more interesting but from Germany and sadly overshadowed by Marillion.

The pre-order for this is open now. No specifics on exact 5.1 formats other than "48k DTS on DVD" and "96k DTS on BluRay." The price of the DVD and BluRay editions are "steep" and "stupidly, horribly steep" respectively. I'm not fan enough to go there. :(

Agreed - steep and stupidly,horribly steep :mad:. I'm a fan enough to buy the album, but not enough to pay those prices for even the DVD, especially when the band's history of surround quality isn't great.

I had a language Timothy moment when I got the e-mail months ago and went and looked at the website, there was only the £158 boxset then with the 5.1 mix, and after the last rather wishy-washy 5.1 I thought I'd give it a miss. I'm not sure I'd even risk 35 of her majesty's pounds on the CD/DVD combo though - which is a shame as I really like their music.

But as far as I know the DVD does not contain any 5.1 mix, just a documentary.
I emailed Racket Records this morning begging please even for a Flac surround download option. I'll post their reply, if any.
By the way,the new record is called FEAR (fuck everyone and run). And I'm not joking...

Back