Matrix Decoding And Equalizers Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Heya

My girlfriend asked an interesting question. What happens, or can happen, if you run a stereo equalizer between the phono pre-amp and a matrix decoder. With either matrix or stereo recordings. Could it do anything interesting to the decode by raising and lowering different frequencies, would it just completely ruin the decode or would it be essentially the same as running the same equalization over all 4 channels in post decode.

Thanks!

Heya

My girlfriend asked an interesting question. What happens, or can happen, if you run a stereo equalizer between the phono pre-amp and a matrix decoder. With either matrix or stereo recordings. Could it do anything interesting to the decode by raising and lowering different frequencies, would it just completely ruin the decode or would it be essentially the same as running the same equalization over all 4 channels in post decode.

Thanks!

The only thing you'll do is ruin destroy the phase information, which will lead to a poor decode.

One mmajor mistake all people make if they eq before decoding(including those who release) is to use normal eq-ing software that is not phase intrusive.

Just a hint guys!

Well I NEVER EQ before decoding, and if I do it's for some wowfrom warping..what I always do is declicking before decoding....

De-clicking is fine, but all i wanted to say was that using normal eq-ing tools before decoding is a no-no, unless they are phase accurate. I use such tools as i've found it easier (when needed) to get a better balance when dealing with just the stereo file.

it always sounds right once decoded

You should equalize after decoding, if done before the channels would have to be very carefully matched. I have a friend who loves his graphic equalizer, he adjusts it by ear to please himself with both channels adjusted radically differently, then he wondered why he could never get decent sound out of a surround sound processor!

That is correct if your using a standard equaliser, but not if you use a zero phase one.

The only thing you'll do is ruin destroy the phase information, which will lead to a poor decode.

Just a hint guys!

What about the use of a BBE Sonic Maximizer pre-decode? I understand that its function is to correct phase incohesiveness between the 2 stereo channels (did I say that correctly?) - If so, would this not improve the decode?

That is one program that should never be used pre-decode. As far as i know it doesn't correct any phase issues, but causes them by the very nature of it's process.

The same goes for 'phase correction' programs, to be avoided like the plague.

The question was not so much "can you use and equalizer before the decoder when you want to do a proper QS/SQ decode?" Before I posted this question, I already told her no, and that it would probably disturb the phasing. The question is more like "If I experiment with an equalizer before the decoder, could I end up with interesting results, or would it just trash the process completely" Results such as increasing some phase effects from stereo recordings, or changing the decode of Matrix material in interesting ways.

Thanks!

Back