May '24 "mind blowing" box guessing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's my opinion as well. I've been making my own mix tapes for over 45 years (using various formats over the years). When it comes to buying a compilation, it'd better be good.

Look at Audio Fidelity's The Collection. How many people who actually bought it can say "Man, what an ace collection of songs! I play the whole disc all the time!"

I doubt people played their copies more than twice.

I have a DTS CD sampler and a DVD-Audio sampler. They're both good demos of the formats, but despite supposedly having lots of excellent tracks on them I've probably listened to them a couple of times each. The most use they've had has been in hifi demo rooms to check gear I'm interested in plays the format correctly.

That's my opinion as well. I've been making my own mix tapes for over 45 years (using various formats over the years). When it comes to buying a compilation, it'd better be good.

Look at Audio Fidelity's The Collection. How many people who actually bought it can say "Man, what an ace collection of songs! I play the whole disc all the time!"

I doubt people played their copies more than twice.
I played my Audio Fidelity Collection discs once.
Comps like that rarely have staying power IMO

I've still got this. From the early 70's check out that tracklist. This is a promo item from the hippest AM station in Buffalo NY. Years before I was even out of HS.

You never hear the song Timothy played anywhere. I guess that whole cannibalism concept just never really caught on.

1713204697922.png

1713204735646.png

I've still got this. From the early 70's check out that tracklist. This is a promo item from the hippest AM station in Buffalo NY. Years before I was even out of HS.

You never hear the song Timothy played anywhere. I guess that whole cannibalism concept just never really caught on.

View attachment 104474

View attachment 104475
All killer, no filler! :)

The official box set announcement will be on the 18th.
4 albums, each with Atmos, Quadio & Stereo mixes.
: )
It’s gotta be Joni. I mean everything we know points to it being her. The 4 Atmos mixes are already completed and we know Miles of Aisles has an unreleased quad. Assuming For The Roses does as well (or could it be a new quad mix?), that would meet the “mind-blowing” criteria for most people.

Last edited:
It’s gotta be Joni, I mean everything we know points to it being her. The 4 Atmos mixes are already completed and we know Miles of Aisles has an unreleased quad. Assuming For The Roses does as well (or could it be a new quad mix?), that would meet the “mind-blowing” criteria for most people.
And Miles of Aisles was a double album and reached #2 on the Billboard charts and could fit comfortably on a single BD~A!

Overview image

Well, if indeed FOR THE ROSES had a previous Quad remix it could possibly be a Joni Mitchell boxset with the other three being MILES OF AISLES, THE HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS and her masterpiece COURT AND SPARK!

Absolutely no complaints here if that's the case!
Bruce Botnick has completed a 2023 quad mix of "For The Roses" if my source is correct.

The problem with compilations is that one person's opinion of the best tracks is not necessarily someone else's. The hits are not necessarily the best tracks either. There is no absolute guarantee that your favourite tracks will be in the compilation. In the case of America the hit "Tin Man" has a terrible surround mix, I personally would not include it in a surround compilation for that very reason. On the other hand maybe in a stereo comp.

I would suggest bite the bullet and purchase all the Quadio's giving them each a fair chance. Then deciding for yourself create your own "Mix Tape".
In the case of compilations, ideally they will put the songs that the majority of people consider the hits. Those that charted the highest. That's why people like compilations, they feed the masses. As for the value of the surround mix, we have seen time and time again that consensus on that is even more difficult than what songs are the best.
In the end they are what they are.

I would rate "Court and Spark" as one of the finest albums ever mixed to quad, and my favorite Joni Mitchell album. The songs on the other albums like "For The Roses" are wonderful too, but the band backing on "Court" is just so exceptional (to say nothing of the sound quality), like everything fell into place when the songs, moon and tides all lined up. I expect Atmos will too be "next level" everything on this one.

In my opinion (and when this album finally does appear in quad), I would rate "Court and Spark," "Paranoid" and "Machine Head" as my top favorite 70's quad mixed albums so far to get a Rhino "Quadio" era reissue on disc. My mind has about already been blown with the arrival these three very desirable quad discs.

Last edited:
I really like that idea.
I was just thinking this morning about how they release these albums that have one or two good songs on them and the rest is filler.
AWB, Seals and Croft, America....
I like a song or two off of each of these but I don't like the albums that much.
In the old days, Rhino was THE label for licensing tracks from other labels for their stellar compilations. It's primarily what they were known for originally. It was only relatively recently (well, last couple of decades) that they became limited to only reissues of WEA-controlled titles.

It's possible they reached out to other labels about licensing just some hit singles/key tracks that had quad mixes on albums the original labels aren't interested in releasing in quad?

Not sure if there would be enough of such titles for a box set, though.

Oh I'm in for all things QUAD Joni .

She does have Atmos mixes , already streaming , so...not a big problem with releasing her 3 quads and maybe a new quad mix on any one of her early albums .
So she has quad , atmos already in the bag ,so to speak . Kinda a no Brainer.
If not now, well then DEFINITELY a must for near future consideration, please I beg of you , Steve. And a sure sales maker for Rhino WEA!!

I'm always interested in sampler discs. Which ones do you have?
DTS CD, DVD-Audio and DVD-Video double sided, and Blu Ray. The DTS sampler CD is by far the more interesting musically, and the Blu Ray is barely worth the purchase price for the sample music. The test tracks on the Blu Ray are just about worth it. Kind of ironic as the technology gets better the sampler music gets less interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.jpeg
    IMG_0896.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0897.jpeg
    IMG_0897.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0898.jpeg
    IMG_0898.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back